visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Another Shipyard Build

Comments

• Marty, very cool detail! are you sure you want to go with 20 lb. test line? you are fishing in salt water right?

I actually spent more time squinting trying to focus on your awesome dock details in the background. The foreground details look great...it's a teaser picture isn't it? more, more...
  • Dave/Ken, I'm glad I'm keeping you interested.

Here is are a few more.

Fishing Net:

Rope Coil:

Adze:

Marty
  • Marty, you are a teaser. I just figured out that you can make a career out of detailing this dio. Great work.

Dave
  • Dave, i only have a couple things to add. One important detail is the For Sale sign near the Sales Office. You see this Shipyard is making its last wooden schooner. Its the early 1970's and the need for wooden schooners has been replaced by fiberglass and aluminum hulls. That is why the Shipyard has/will be "over-weathered" (very grey) to signify its End-Of-Life.

I still have a lighthouse to build that will have a scratch built keepers cottage. It will be located off the front left edge of the diorama. I don't expect to enter this diorama in any competition and will be integrated into a 30" x 60" module along with some support structures/industry. Given the high cost of castings i need to be carefull not to over detail the Shipyard and under detail the other structures. Balance for the whole module is vital.

Now I'm off to build a couple chairs/stools to sprinkle around and then the grass, etc to finish it off. I've been using a mini diorama to practice on and i think I'm ready to commit.

Marty
  • Marty, now I'm no expert, but this appears to me to be an award winner. A 30" x 60" diorama? Wow, I sure hope you show some pics of that, when you're ready, of course.

Dave
  • Dave, the Shipyard has been in too many shows and I'm not sure it can compete with Paul's Shipyard. The dio is going to take a couple years to complete. Then I got the Twin Mill Sawmill complex to do I thing I will be dusting it with chalk at my funeral. lol.

Marty
  • Marty, you rascal, you keep giving me ideas! Even worse, I don't know how you accomplish so much.

Fantastic imagination and excellent execution - so to speak . . .

John
  • John,

Being "retired" is suppose to give me more time, but I end up driving the girls around all day, well it seems like it. It leaves me about 1-2 hours at most of modelling time. However, when I get an idea I think it through when I'm driving and execution is rather quick when I get home.

Just finished some Muskoka chairs, now need to see how to fit them in the diorama. :-)

Marty
  • It's been awhile since I posted some progress. I have not been lazy, just distracted with having to do my taxes (yuk, puce). I was trying to add some more marine details to the diorama and finalize the weathering and general cleanup. And yes Ken there are a lot more details hidden in the diorama.

I did manage to get the studio lights out and get a bit more serious of taking photographs of the completed diorama.

Hold it, you say you are done the diorama?

Well, I am considering it DONE...oh darn! I forgot to glue on the life savers. oh well.

As before, you can see what the final touches were by click below.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1567408173484310.1073741865.1406375389587590&type=1&l=eaf4ffecd6

Here are some teasers.

The top view,

Frontish view.

Main dock view,

Sales Office view,

Derrick Dock Shed,

You can see all the completed diorama photographs here,

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1582926505265810.1073741866.1406375389587590&type=1&l=042de470c2

Marty
  • Outstanding work!
  • Beautiful work Marty!

Jerry
  • Superb and I really enjoyed reading the notes attached to each photo along with the various character story lines! Thanks for taking the time to make such great presentation of your finished diorama.
  • Marty, now that's nice! Love all the hidden details...takes a long time to study each picture to pick out all the subtile goings on! Really like the dull greenish high tide line and very cool that you actually didn't model any water..sometimes the water can be a distraction. I like the way you have modeled low tide, beautiful work look forward to more...Ken
  • Wonderful. I love the low tide look!
  • Brett/Jerry/Brian/Ken/Alan thanks for the nice comments.

Did anyone find the "secret" in the Sales Office photo?
  • Fantastic work Marty abeautiful diorama indeed. Everything looks superb.

Brett's phone number on the "for sale" sign is a very clever touch.

Karl. A
  • Marty, you are a wizard. I love your work and ingenuity. Thank you for making it available for all of us to see . . .

Respectfully,
    John
  • I missed the phone number secret. Very funny!
  • Marty, all the adjectives have been used up.........just MARVELOUS! I did catch the "for sale" sign but didn't relate the phone # to Brett. That is a real hoot. Thanks for all the wonderful photos, commentaries, and all the info you gave us.

Dave
  • Yeah! Karl wins! (I thought he would catch it first.) Dave/Alan glad you found it.

An update at the Shipyard...

Well, "they" have caught up with the Owner of the Shipyard.

You my ask "Who are they?"

It's those Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSHA) inspectors. Ever since the OSHA was passed in a couple years back (1970) all the government busy-bodies have been scrambling to understand what to do. Rather then understand the Act, they started sending out pencil pushers with clipboards to try to enforce the rules and regulations that are so complex it will take the average business owner decades to implement. The trouble is this Owner will be closing down the business when current ship is completed.

The inspectors wanted the Owner to clean-up the ship pit, as it was an accident waiting to happen; build a safety station; add railings around the main dock; water rescue equipment; train the employees about health and safety; the list that went on for 10 pages. If the Owner doesn't do it within 90 days "they" will close the Shipyard down. Now isn't that crazy!

You will never guess what the Owner did to show progress against the compliance list?

Marty
  • Those ol' life rings can be lifesavers in more ways than one.

Dave
  • edited August 2014
    Dave, your very right.
  • OK I think I missed the punchline… (love the backstory though)
  • Hi Marty; This is a fantastic build; I'll be reviewing these photos continuously as I start mine. The signs, peeled paint, shingles, wood detail, night scenes with the lights, LP everything. Thank you so much for detailing the build as you progressed.

Dave
  • edited August 2014
    Jerry, the punchline ... the safety inspector was going to fine.stop work order the shipyard, unless the owner complied with the audit report. Knowing that the Shipyard will be closing in a year the owner wanted to do something to show progress. The lifesaver was the lifesaver for the shipyard, the jobs for the next year saving families before closing and it also can save the next inspector come, when the owner and workers throw him off the dock.

Dave, make sure you read the captions in the Facebook gallery as it has a lot more details. Maybe you can come with another different shipyard.

Marty
  • That turnde out beautifully Marty. Congrats on a great build mate.
  • Hi Marty; When I look at your true craftsmanship I am honored at the comments you have given me on my Deer Creek Dio. Classes start next week and so does my build of the Shipyard. I'm going to just have your thread open as I build. Thank you for your comments and such a detailed build. I'm currently looking for a Shelby's for the other side of the inlet on the 10' long area of water front on my layout. The inlet will be a pull out diorama so I can work on it at my work bench. I'd like to put the Shipyard on one side and Shelby's on the other. I just love SW kits. Keep us posted with what ever you are working on.

Dave
  • Wes, thanks.

Dave, aah we try our best. I've been trying to design my layout to get see how I can fit The shipyard in. In my space it is a challenge. The two tracks in my limited space will result in curves that are 14" radius, not a good thing. If I had thought about it, I would have eliminated the track by the ship pit and just kept the loading dock one. (I have a Lighthouse and Keepers cottage to go on that side.) Or have a siding come off the loading dock track to the edge of the saw shed. My frustration with the layout design has me considering not using it at all and selling it, but my wife would be doing damage to me! I also have the Twin Mills sawmill to fit into all this somewhere. So my advice is to take the Shipyard Dio diagram and work out exactly how it will fit into the layout and be creative with the track work. (PS: if you are going to build it for competition(s) maybe a tweak in the Shipyard diorama layout might turn some eyes.???

Marty
  • Hi I'm back.

The front left edge of the Derrick Dock area always bugged me. I could never get the block retaining wall to cover the whole area. There was ~0.5" of space that stood out like a sore thumb. So I decided to fix it - finally. I used a wet paper towel to loosen the glue and scrapped off the sand down to the bare wood.

Then I fiddled with some Hydrocal castings until I got the look that felt good.

I taped the edge of the diorama and added more smaller stones and sand. I stained the plaster with a blackish stain anfd then various dustings of chalks to give some colour. Then 50/50 water and matte medium to seal it all together.

Some final tweaks and it looks like a rocky shore line near a shipyard.

It's getting "ship-shape", next is a "tinge" of water to show low tide and it will be complete.

Marty
  • Marty,
    You are a wizard . . . looks really nice.
    John