visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Another Shipyard Build

Comments

• Hi Marty,
    Awesome job. The build and lighting are fantastic. I have been really enjoying looking at the build pictures. Ah one day to be retired....
    Jim
  • Hi Marty,

Well done, superb work on the Shipyard. I'll be coming back here often to help me in finishing mine (diorama scenery is not my strong suit).

Paul
  • Marty, I have been lurking through out this build ( at least since I joined the forum ) and I must say that this one awesome build. Very impressive. You have certainly put in the time and patience on this one. I only wish that I was merely half as good at this stuff.

Well done!

Dave
  • Marty, when you have time I'd like guidance on how can I best benefit from your wiring experience? Specifically, I like to know what you like about what you've done and what you'd do different "the next time". Presumably you wired before putting the roof on. I need to go look at you photos again and see what your sequencing looked like.
    Respectfully,
    John
  • edited March 2014
  • edited March 2014
    John,

If there was a next time, I would have not glue the roof on and detailed the interior of the buildings (Both floors) I would leave one of the freight doors open, half open the warehouse door and prop open the sales and yardmasters doors. I would then detail those interiors so you could look into them and see "stuff" happening. You would need to research/design what is done in each of those areas. That is the creative part. Also, that would mean replacing the card stock with post and beam or bloom stud construction and gluing strip wood to that. Boy that would make that really interesting.

Given that, there would be a ton more lighting everywhere controlled to switch on and off at various times in the evenings. For example, when would lighting realistically be used in The ShipYard? Only when people are there early in the morning or late evening. There could be late shipments, so lighting on the loading docks is needed. Security lighting in the parking lot (this is what I finally decided on). Most of the lighting would be in the main structure since people could/would work indoors during the early and late evening.

Sounds a bit much? So if I could do it again...

- main dock need a flood
    - main loading dock needs 3-4 gooseneck lights
    - Sales office needs a gooseneck
    - Workbench under stairs needs a work light
    - Warehouse needs a light inside and a gooseneck near the door
    - Yardmasters needs a office lamp and gooseneck near the door
    - Saw Shed needs the two, but dimmer
    - Parking lot needs security flood
    - Upper Yard shed needs gooseneck and flood for tracks
    - interior detailing would need lighting as appropriate to the scene

I would switch/wire the exterior building lighting on one circuit and the building interiors on another circuit, security lighting on the third and the fourth for saw shed and upper yard shed.

Ok, maybe that is a bit extreme, but building the kit is the easy part, make it different, interesting, exciting and award winning is what the next challenge for me would be. That's why I like Paul's innovations so much.

I hope this helps.

Marty
  • Yes, excellent input Marty. I was thinking of over lighting and bringing each out to a central distribution point so each could be individually powered and if some were found to be excessive, individually they could be left unpowered or dimmed. I'm going to come back to this input of yours as a reference point.

I am at the point of putting in the lower doors. They are prepped - I'll leave them unhung or at some interim point hang them in such a way that they could be rearranged.

As far as the interior, maybe ideas can be taken from the other kits. It would be easy during building to get bogged down on the interior. Do you think that if the roof is made removable, the interior detailing could be revisited when the build is complete?

Respectfully,
    John
  • I think if you are considering interiors that you should plan for it now. When you get to assemble the walls, there are floors and internal partitions to consider. I. The main building i woukd suspect there are a sales office interior walls on one floor with a gallery above it. The rest of the building is most likely all open. This needs to be considered as you will need to run wires somewhere.

Marty
  • Thanks Marty. I'll delve deeper when I am ready to stand the walls. Thank you.
    John
  • Back for another quick update.

First thanks for your kind comments Alan, John, James, Brett, Jim, Paul and Dave.

I been trying to solve the problem on how to get the power feeds from the power pole into the building. I could not find and detail parts to purchase, so it was into scratch building what I needed. You would think that this is something that every structure needs, but there is nothing available commercially.

Here is where you can see what I've done so far, more to come:

Power Feed: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1562020260689768.1073741864.1406375389587590&type=1&l=600557a6ac

Thanks

Marty
  • edited March 2014
    Marty, love the small details and can just picture the wires coming to these insulators. The close up of your roof edges and flashing look great. Your obviously not done but hit those little shiny glue spots with some chalk or I'm not looking at any more pictures! Just messin with ya....can't wait to see more..well done...Ken
  • Ken, what you didn't see the scratch marks where I removed a big lump of epoxy?

My hands spontaneous twitches and shakes sometimes and it frustrates when doing fine details....(must be my ejection from the workforce well before my time.) I work better on fine details when I'm tired late at night.

After I get the wires up I will be dulling/greying it all down and blending as needed.
  • edited March 2014
    Marty, saw em.. didn't want to say too much all at once! Knew you would be detailing all that stuff when finished. Nice photo work as well. Ken
  • Marty, you are way too much! Wow, awesome creativity. Thank goodness you and Paul are way ahead of me pointing the way . . . .
  • Back again for a quick update.

Ken, is it better now? John, there is a say about necessity and invention. I have used the drill technique to make bottle and cans for a General Store shelf. Very cheap and looks good.

So the power feed wires are now in. I could only get green EZLine, so it is what it is.

The power head, conduit and meter installed.

And how the power transformer turned up.

Marty
  • Fantastic details!
  • Absolutely beautiful!
  • Marty, I just have to say Awesome. Your build, attention to detail, wow. I noted you made mention of your drill process of turning objects. Is it possible you would explain this process? And thanks for suggestions you have given me.

Dave
  • Dave, take look at the pictures and captions from attached.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1562020260689768.1073741864.1406375389587590&type=1&l=600557a6ac

These are public and you don't need a Facebook account. If you need more i will see what i can do.

Marty
  • Marty! what the heck! that's fantastic....what a sweet detail, you kicked it there, well played my good man....Ken
  • Thanks Marty. Very instructive.

Dave
  • Thanks for all the nice comments. Brett's kits have given so much to me I felt I needed to give back to the community. This challenges me to be creative.

Marty
  • This is a "bit" off topic, but these two pictures can give you an idea what you can do with a battery powered drill, some styrene, a sharp file and some paint.

They are bit rough, but gets the message across.

Imagine what you can do yourself! Coke bottles, tins, jacks, oil cans...

Marty
  • Marty, you are no end of surprises! I have so much to imitate! I really like your electrical feed . . . .
    Respectfully,
    John
  • Marty, you are one very talented rascal! Those models would dress up any interior. Do you dabble in changing poses on the figures?

Dave
  • John,Dave, just trying to do my best.

I really don't like the painting details on HO figures and do my best to have the figures face down or away from the "front" of the scene. Their faceless "blobs" are very scary. I try to make set them is a "action" pose, but have not yet tried to change (melt) them into that pose. Maybe some day I will do it.

For example,

Others at,

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1567408173484310.1073741865.1406375389587590&type=1&l=eaf4ffecd6

Marty
  • Thanks, Marty. Love the link. Story line is so important. Your work is superb.

Dave
  • edited March 2014
    Hi Martin,
    This is really cool! I have been wondering about doing something for electric lines similar to this to some of the buildings I have finished. The details are really cool too! They just continue to add to the story you telling in your build.

Jim
  • edited March 2014
    Dave, Jim thanks for the comments, I think I just entered into the ridiculous zone.

As I was building the Shipyard I noticed that there were some casting types that were not included. The Shipyard workers are for the most part working with wood, yet I did not see and hand saws, two handed saws, adds ( the curvy axe thingy for hollowing timbers) etc. There since this is a marine diorama, I saw very little ship riggings, piles of rope, steering wheel and/or and fishing type stuff. Hold on, I didn't say the kit had anything missing, just saying I think I have found a way to have more "Fun with Details" (sounds like a TV program).

Here is my first thingy to add and so easy to make - a fishing pole. Not too bad for a prototype.

And this is how it looks in the diorama.

You can see how I made it at this link (starting somewhere in the middle.)

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1567408173484310.1073741865.1406375389587590&type=1&l=eaf4ffecd6

Marty
  • Dang, Marty. That looks almost as good as the real ones I build. Great job, and it looks so natural on that barrel.

Dave