visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Duluth Company

Comments

• Ken- good work and good photography. I probably missed this, but are you going to weather the entire roof as you did the flashing? I built this kit several years ago and it is one of just a few that Brett has released using this type of shake shingle. The Woodcutter's Shack and the station from Essentials are the only two that come to mind.

My point is that that I see you have some very subtle chalk streaking on the roof, but since the shakes have very little grain, it may help to vary the color on some of them. Probably would have been easier to do this before the shingle strips were applied, but you could try some and see how they looked.

Your beautiful outdoor photography accentuates the sameness of the shingles, and they are magnified 2 or 3X. Just some thoughts, and again you are displaying some real skill.
  • Hi Mike, Thanks for the spot of encouragement, I appreciate your thoughts and have admired your work both past and current. The roof was weathered with several shades of raw umber chalks and indoors appears mottled and to me weathered about where I wanted it....take it outside and it starts to look anemic! So your right on that it appears some additional weathering is indicated based on the pictures you are seeing. If you're game, I'm bringing Duluth to the Expo likely unfinished and I could show it to you and see what your thoughts are about the roof under lights that my railroad will be under (ie fluorescent).
  • Looking forward to seeing your great model. You are exactly right that the natural light dramatically changes how your weathering will look. The thing to do is what you have done- do your weathering in light similar to what it will be like on your layout, or wherever it will be displayed. However, this can be a problem if you take a model to a contest, as often the contest rooms are poorly lit.

Nothing like the sunlight to help you check your build for glue spots, unstained board ends, crooked rafters, or any number of flaws you can then fix. The sun is a good tool.
  • Duluth update: All sub-assemblies are completed but not attached to the main building or to a diorama base yet, that's next and the roof treatments are not done yet which include the chimney, stack vent, and cyclone vent. Bill...here is my go at the concrete loading dock....imageimageimage
    I primed the castings with Floquil Concrete from a foo-foo can, 48 hours later blotted on a stain from a combination of Floquil Mud and Antique White as per Brett's instruct, and immediately blotted off the access with a paper towel. Before completely dry, I began chalk applications; first with grey (704.5) then with some raw umber (409.3) particularly in the cracks, holes, etc..then some raw sienna (234.3) and yellow ochre (227.3). I followed the cracks across the top of the main slab and then streaked on some 409.3 to give the appearance of water and mineralization stains. Also, used real dirt at the back of the stair treads and then lightly wiped the tread area with DioSol to give a worn appearance.
    Small open shed that lives on the north end of Duluth.
    imageimage
    Deck structure (without railings and steps) that goes on the back of Duluth.
    Open loading dock roof and platform. I added the small metal post support pieces at the bottom of each post. These are just made from heavy paper bent up and a little Grimy Black and a bit of rusting. They actually allow the roof structure to stand on its own..no glue yet...imageimage
    Took this idea from Bill...the loading dock platform roof is laser cut cardboard. I wanted an area that had a section of the tar paper torn off exposing the roof boards to give the illusion that the entire roof is boarded over. I sliced a thin section of the cardboard roof out with a blade and spliced in the strip wood...thanks for the lead on that Bill I like the look.

The rest of the pictures are the mock up of the sub-assemblies just positioned temporarily in place. Next is the diorama base and finish things up. I'll bring this to the Expo as is and we can look at the roof a bit more Mike......
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Concrete loading dock looks terrific Ken, the beat up and weathered wood also looks great.

One more item to add to your modeling arsenal (if you don't already have them) would be a cheap set of multi coloured felt pens. I use these for colouring the edges of signs after cutting them out with the appropriate colour and also the greys for colouring the edges of tar paper prior to assembly, when I remember. the ink wicks up and blends in nicely.

I look forward to seeing you and your models at the expo.

Karl.A
  • Karl, Thanks for the thumbs up on the concrete and the poo-poo on the white torn edges of the tar paper. Prototypical maybe, as I have seen the edges of old tar paper where the white under layer shows through, but your right as it appears distracting and was too much for the small roofs. Couple of quick pics on the fix....better??imageimage
  • Also Karl, the final weathering and ridge cap needs done yet particularly on the covered loading dock roof. This will also blend the slight color on the edges. Thanks for the insight...you da man!...Ken
  • Excellent work Ken. The concrete loading dock turned out great and the use of real dirt is a nice addition of color and texture. I think the small touch ups to the tar paper sealed the deal and are a marked improvement.

Looking forward to seeing it completed.
    Bill
  • 100% better Ken.
    Also Karl, the final weathering and ridge cap needs done yet particularly on the covered loading dock roof. This will also blend the slight color on the edges.
    That's why I didn't mention it..... :)

Karl.A
  • Hey Bill, yup..Karl was about as subtile as a heart attack!...just messin with ya Karl. He knows how to get someones attention, and I'm glad he reeled me in on that one. I appreciate you taking the lead on the concrete duel...you nailed it and helped me decide what direction to take on mine.

Karl, you crack me up! The mentioning of the colored felt pens was a perfect subtile suggest. Love this stuff....Ken
  • Hi Ken,
    The pictures are fantastic, I really like all the details and the knot holes. I have used the pens on edges as well and it is a really great idea from Karl. Another thing you could try is using scrapbooking black paper at Hobby Lobby or Michaels. The reason I also have done this is then I can have more paper to choose from after weathering it to get the look I am after (really I screwed up the paper in the kit and had to find some more). There are no white edges after tearing or cutting either.
    Jim
  • Hello Jim, Thanks for the note and your idea of the craft paper is a good one. I do prefer to start with a lighter colored paper and then spray on the black so I can vary the amount of light color that shows through. Just need to pay attention to the amount of white edge that shows as a result. Have the chimney mounted on the roof, the Duluth sign completed and the dio base cut and painted and ready to start gluing it all down...updates to follow. Ken
  • Duluth update....off for the EXPO in the morning so took a few pictures of Duluth's main building complex. The build is now safely attached to the dio base awaiting the details and landscaping.image
    Front view of Duluth. Sign was sanded on the back side to almost see through then attached to the strip wood base and weathered with some chalks.
    imageimage
    Covered loading dock on the south side of Duluth. Note torn tar paper with strip wood sheathing underneath. Strip wood was added just to this small spot as the roof is chip board.image
    Backside of Duluth. Brett's design of the rear of Duluth is awesome with so much character and lots of details.imageimage
    Chimney flashing in place. This is just copy paper cut and painted with Floquil Grimy Black and then rusted up a bit with chalk. Step flashing on the sides is not well seen due to shadows. Will have more pics as the build progresses.image
    Open shed on the north side. What a cool feature.image
    The plans call for a dirt floor in the open storage shed. I decided to add a partial wood floor. More to follow....off to EXPO!
  • Fantastic job Ken! Looking foward to all the details on future posts. Have a safe trip. Wish I could be there !
    Jim
  • Hi ken

Shes a real beauty. Will look even better with all the castings.
  • Hey Jim, Wes..Thanks for the thoughts...detailing castings and slinging dirt around is next! Thanks for following along. Ken
  • Cant wait to see the next step Ken, Great to meet you and talk with you at the show.

Karl.A
  • Karl, Glad you had a safe trip home. It was really nice meeting you, Brett, and the other SWSM faithful in attendance at the show. Congratulations on the first place finish...well deserved! Ken
  • delightful build
  • Thanks Elliot, everyone missed having you there at the show. Karl mentioned my roof on Duluth sucks! (I took it to the show unfinished) he's right of course, and I'm working on that now...Ken
  • Wonderful! Glad to see someone took the time to do the nail holes properly (I've been a bit negligent in that regard).
  • Thanks James, the nail holes are a subtile detail where less is more, but when you combine them with other small details they add up to improve the overall look and "feel" of the build. How's the WCS coming along?...Ken
  • Thanks Ken, congratulations to you also on your award, great job.

Karl.A
  • Looking good Ken.
    It looks like an O scale model, great detailing.
    cheers
    Dave
  • Thanks Dave, I'm getting my list of compliments ready for the Machine Shop build you did....really, really nice. Will post soon to your thread. Ken
  • edited December 2013
    Any updates yet Ken ... ? Looking forward to your great work on the castings also.

Karl.A
  • Not much wind left in the sails since Expo and haven't done much of anything with Duluth. Tried rattling Brett's cage a bit....
    Hope you're doing well...-Ken

• Doing fine Ken, plodding along.
    I'll patiently wait until the mood strikes you and the modeling vigor returns...

Karl.A
  • More thinkin than modelin of late...I enjoyed the Duluth Plumbing build so much that I decided to expand the open storage shed on the north side to include an additional shed, fence and plumbing supply storage area, mostly pipe fitting stuff. I'm scratch building the shed and fence...woopdy doo! right, compared to Karl's ongoing O Scale masterpiece. If you haven't seen it, it's a must follow thread. Will get some pics up when there is something to see...Ken
  • Thanks for the kind words Ken, I look forward to the pics,
    as do the silent masses......

Karl.A