visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Machine shop at Deer Creek

2»

Comments

• thanks guys for the comments.
    heh heh what would you have said if it was the "infamous broom"?
    just kidding
    need to tone that shovel down a bit
  • What a fine diorama! The attention to small and subtle detail has not gone unnoticed. Vines and misc. clutter are very well done. I love the board propping the door open and the chain hanging on the handle. Great job!
  • Thanks guys.
    Did some work out the front and connected the water tank to the boiler. Photos aren't the best quality but you get the idea. I'm still trying to work out what to do on the inside as far as activity goes.
    cheers
    Dave
  • Dave, Lookin really nice! you definitely have the eye for clutter placement and details. Love the the stuff sitting in the window sill (or on a bench just inside, either way looks awesome)...I will be using that one in the future for sure! No copyright on that one is there? Hmm...I still see "that" shovel by the boiler...if you don't do something with that we're coming over there.....:) Ken
  • edited August 2013
    Thanks Ken,
    believe it or not the shovel was toned down, I think it may be a trick of the light and a crappy camera. I am currently constructing a base for a modular type layout on which I hope to incorporate this , but I fear it may be too large for the ideas I have in mind.
    Still have to wrestle my good one off my daughter, also maybe my car too.
    Added a tree to the diorama, made from the roots of a plant I found.
    Placed it near the water tank and touched the tank up a bit.
    The diorama is basically finished just waiting for some decent light to take photos.

cheers
    Dave
  • Looking forward to the finished shots in daylight Dave, really nice build, thanks.

Karl.A
  • Dave, Just 2 questions, please?
    Did you choose to not finish the edge of the plywood sub base? Its visible as the substrate of the diorama and provides a dimensional reference to the rest of the work.
    I especially like the sawn off lower branches of the tree and the thickness of the trunk..most trees I see are rather thin and spindly looking...what did you use for tree stock please?

Kind regards
    Greg in Australia
  • Hi Greg
    I'm still deciding whether to add the diorama to a layout, if I don't I'll probably frame the edge.
    As far as the tree goes, I can't remember the plant that I ripped out years ago and noticed the roots would make good trees. They do need a bit of a prune to get a good shape.
    I do have a box full of them and would be happy to share some with you.
    I'll send you an email.
    cheers
    Dave
  • Dave just was getting caught yp with this thread. A very nice job indeed. Some great coloring and detail.

Jerry
  • G'day Dave;
    I have just tried to send you a reply to your email.
    It got returned twice....send me another one and lets see if we can get it sorted out!
    Thanks for your generous offer.

Greg.
  • edited August 2013
    Hi Greg
    not sure how the mail system works here will try again.
    cheers
    Dave
  • Hi Guys
    finally got a bit of sunshine and some time to play internet.
    Here are some final pics of the completed diorama.
    Stupid giant fly, didn't notice it when taking the photos.
    The lifted part of the roof is due to slight warpage , didn't notice 'til I looked at the photos. This is normally held down with a little bit of sticky wax so it's still removeable.
    Apologies for the number of photos but some have colour variations in them.
    I'll load up some more in a separate post.
    cheers
    Dave
  • Hi Guys
    2nd lot of photos, thanks for your patience.

That's all folks.
    I really enjoyed this build, hope you enjoy the pics.
    cheers
    Dave
  • wonderful Dave... really enjoyed watching your build and the finished dio is awesome. You should be proud!
  • Gorgeous work. Love the shot in jpg 0476. Looks like the real thing. I always appreciate the extra attention to landscaping. Did you use a static system to apply the tall grass? I was just going to do it the hard way - clump by clump...
  • Dave the result of your hard work can be clearly seen in the great pics you posted.

I look forward to the next one.
  • This is a great diorama Dave. It is so realistic.

Steve
  • Thanks guys.
    James, the grass was my first attempt using a static grass applicator. I tried to brush some off before the glue dried and flattened it a bit. I liked the look of it and decided it looked like it had been knocked down by the wind.
    cheers
    Dave
  • Went through all the photos again - so many great details. As I think people have noted before the moss on the roofs and water tank etc. really is effective...
  • Hi Dave,
    Fantastic job! I really like all the small details you have added .The moss on the shingles and the coloring of the stone and siding is just superb.
    Jim
  • As everyone else has mentioned...really nice Dave. I went through the pics and wanted to comment on some specifics and there were so many I had to get out a note pad and write them down!
    - The tall weeds/grass on the side look real nice. I would think this is hard to pull off and look convincing, but I think you did.
    - Top of the old water tank with the large accumulation of debris just under the tree overhang where the wind would wallow this stuff up there...nice.
    - Moss just under the side of the building where the shade from the tree would allow it to fester and grow there.
    - The colors of your castings along the long wall are really nice and nothing sticks out, yet very colorful.
    - The sun bleached grey color you got on the overhead crane is awesome. Howdya do it?
    - I'm getting ready to have a bunch of rusty pipes stacked around on my Duluth build. Your pipes on the pipe rack are super! I'll be trying to mimic your work here. Love the darker ends..
    - The cable reel pile is nice.
    - The driveway to the extension next to the mill engine area is particularly well done.
    - Shots of the inside show your great detail...looks like you could walk right in and say hello.

Very nicely done and I enjoyed your work here...thanks. What's next?

Ken
  • Thanks James, Jim and Ken.
    I haven't decided what to do with this one yet. It really is a bit big for the module I am looking at doing, but it's too nice to part with.
    Ken, the bleached wood is coloured and distressed in the usual manner and then drybrushed with ceiling white, bought in a cheap sample pot, and then coated with a dilute wash of a wargame wash by Citadel paints called Nuln oil. I find the wash quite good for a number of small projects to create shadows without using A/I which can overblend some of the other paint finishes I use. It is quite transparent for most things but I have a bottle diluted with water about 50/50 as well.
    Just finished building the station at Deer Creek. Very nice little model. I'll post some photos when I get time to take some.
    Hoping to do Foss landing next when I decide whether my module will be a waterfront scene or a logging scene.
    cheers
    Dave