visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

LineSide Storage Shed

2»

Comments

• Hey Bryan, Thanks for your comments. I would love to be in a position to build dioramas with my builds but I'm still planning and laying out my Logging Railroad. May just be tempted to do a small one for the show this fall. This stuff is addictive....as if you all didn't know.
  • looking great Ken, I like the overall blending of casting and structure weathering... pretty stark on the white board - can't wait to see it planted in dirt!
  • Those castings have come out perfect Ken. Wow.

Where is the truck from? Looks like a beauty.
  • Very nice!!!
  • Looks great Ken - good work.
  • Awesome build. The castings look fantastic. Which caulk color did you use to mute the colors? Nothing stands out and the castings look very natural. I like the windows. The clear centers look like someone wiped off the dirt. Really well done effect.

Alright lets see a completed mini scene with this beautiful work you have done.
    I am amazed at the results you get. Wow!

Jim
  • Thanks Jim, I know ,I know, the mini dioramas are my next project. I have been slacking in that area but with the discussions I've had with Karl and you guys I feel better about proceeding with them. Have to begin getting the materials together and will be modeling with a bit more ground cover and debris that a Pacific Northwest forest area would have. most of the Dioramas I've seen have a more western flavor. I fine to medium sifted three 1 gallon bags full of dead wood, leaves, bark etc. and am drying it now. Will be scouring the online catalogs for other materials.

I plan on attending the 2013 Expo this fall and likely will take an 8 x 8 diorama if it turns out OK.

Regarding the castings, I used several different colors of chalk for the final "dusting". On the wood items I used either Raw Umber (ranges 408.7, 408.5, 408.3 my favorites) or Grey 704.5. Metal stuff I used mostly Burnt Sienna (411.3) for rusty stuff and Raw Umber 408.3 or 408.5 or Grey for dulling and aging things like the painted metal barrels. I change frequently to get a different subtle look even on similar items. I also change the base color on similar items for the same effect. For instance a metal (proto) barrel I may use Grimy Black on some and Reefer Grey on others with a final dusting of rust on some and Raw Umber on others. -K
  • Hi Ken,
    Thanks for the caulk colors. Your eye for color is excellent. Everything blends very naturally. I am hiking around in the Shawnee National Forest looking at stuff to use for ground color and debris and plan on going to Hobby Lobby with a 40% coupon to get some moss and supplies like Karl used. Then I can start trying to put the logging essentials together. My next task will be to learn how to post pictures and post a build and show what I have done. Maybe I can add something to the forum ( I am still working on lights for the fuel depot rigging shed and tool shed. There is a large learning curve. Micro LEDs are so tiny. Hours pass before I have a light that works.) I really appreciate all the information you have generously given when I have asked a question ! I have been wanting to post pictures for some time. I have managed to destroy two of the indestructable olympus stylus cameras and need a new camera.
    Have you decided what you may use for rock castings? I am wanting to try the Bragdon foam system. Look foward to more of your builds.
    Jim
  • Jim, your very welcome and I would gladly share any information I have that may be useful to you or anyone else. I have also learned a great deal from the knowledgeable contributors to the forum. What good is a hobby like this without sharing ideas and our work with others interested in the same thing. Anxious for you to begin posting some pics and don't forget to post some of your already completed builds as well as the Essentials. The lights sound great, can't wait to see how they look.

I think I might try Woodland Scenics rock mold system with Hydrocal to get started and then I'd like to try making my own. Will be posting on the Backwoods Water Tank and Shed very soon as my paint order arrived so I can get going!

Keep me posted Jim, -K

• Hey guys...missed a few of your posts. Thanks for the comments. You bet Brett, I'm chomping at the bit to get started with my builds as dioramas. Have it figured out how I'll work them into my layout. Will be starting with the Backwoods Water Tank build that I'll do as a diorama. I'd like to bring one of them to the show this fall.

Wes, the truck is a Wiseman Model and it turned out great in my mind..but....The castings were a bit dirty and had to clean them up a good bit. Not like Brett's stuff! we're spoiled.
    I also have a tow truck to build as well. Wiseman has a great selection of early 1900s trucks and I really like how they look with Brett's kits. I would recommend putting them together with Epoxy. The parts didn't fit real snug so a strong binder is a must. They weather up great though.
  • Thanks Ken. Ill go have a look.