visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Tool Shed Part 1

13»

Comments

• Ken youve really produced a masterpiece here.

Looking forward to the lineside shed.
  • Thanks Wes! Here's my dilemma....and I'd love to hear comments and thoughts....I'm building these terrific kits at the same time that I'm planning my early 1900s Pacific Northwest Logging Railroad. AS I mentioned, I find myself modeling the railroad around Brett's kits and don't have a specific place to put them yet. You guys put together these fantastic dioramas that I have to wait on until my layout is underway. I thought about putting together a diorama on the same material as my base on the layout then incorporating it in the layout but...I don't think that would work so good? Also, in reading ahead on my "stash" of kits, Brett instructs to attach various steps (flooring as an example) to the "base" that I don't have..hmm..
  • What you are thinking is very doable. In fact that's pretty much how I am building my structures. What material will you be using as the sub-roadbed? I have built mine on several different materials:

1/2" pink foam. Great material but thicker than my 3/8" homasote
    Homasote I do not recommend for a base as it will warp
    2 layers of gator foam. Excellent material and is the same thickness as my homasote but very expensive. I only used it for the tractor repair shed since the tracks needed to be level.

Will be building the rest using pink foam probably.
  • I haven't decided on what to use as my base yet. Your input helps..thanks. I'm just visualizing putting a separate diorama together then needing to possibly change it if my layout scheme changes before it's incorporated. I may need to move this thread to another category? -K
  • Ken-Excellent job. Everything fits together very well. You should be very proud of what you have done. Looking foward to the next build.
    Jim
  • Hey Jim...Thanks for the note....I'm starting another thread on the LineSide Shed tonight!

Ken
  • Wow Ed, you are checking out some of that older stuff. Yep, my first SWSM build was that Tool Shed. It accomplished just what it was designed to do and that is introduce the modeler to the SWSM line of kits in a manageable yet detailed build. I learned so much from that first kit and went on from there.

Thanks so much for your thoughts on it Ed, brings back fond memories of getting hooked on SWSMs...Ken
  • Hey Ken, interesting to see where it all started for you. Excellent work, even at the start.

George
  • Yet another case of learning from a long buried thread
    Terry
  • Oh Geesh!...oldy moldy...yup my very first SierraWest build and as a matter of fact, my very first craftsman kit! Right after that one I built the Lineside Shed.
  • My thanks to Ken and to the archivist who brought this post forward. The fact that we can now see his original "oldy moldy build" as well as Ken's current masterful work on the "Foundry" at the same time is a great door-opener for encouraging other background viewers to submit posts of their own "First craftsman kit".
    This group is all about helping and encouraging the development of modeling skills. Ask questions and seek suggestions...Their responses are always helpful and constructive.
    In fact it's also probably time for Brett to release a new "shed kit" to serve as that first modestly-priced training tool for the next group of masters. All of us can probably find a spot for a framed shed/office whether it's still in-use or now aged and abandoned.
    Bill R
  • Ken,

Very glad to see this build be brought out of the "way back machine". It gives us the opportunity to see your development as an artist/builder. Looking at this build one can see the "seed" of ideas that have been germinating and now brought forward into full flowering by more builds, idea development, more study of the prototypical buildings in your environment with further experimentation and now culminating in your current build of the Foundry. It is amazing to see what can be done with carefully designed and developed kits. Thanks for sharing your ideas, your methods and posting all the great photos that help us learn.

Later, Dave S Tucson, AZ
  • This thread is so inspiring to look back on, to read through the old posts and follow
    the progress again.
    Thanks once more Ken for sharing your initial experience with us, and,
    thanks George for bringing it back up for others to enjoy and get inspiration from.

Karl.A
  • You are so right Bill, George is picking on me showing my early stuff!...many things I would do different but wouldn't change the experience for anything. So much excitement getting involved with SierraWest and you folks on the forum during those times...and amazingly the excitement hasn't let up since!

You are most welcome Dave and everyone has been kind not to brow beat me too much on that build. I chuckle a bit looking at the siding or lack of it in some spots! I was determined to do better with the wood and have made this my goal of every build since...

I went to my file after reading the responses here and pulled the one on the Tool Shed and here is a quote from the manual that I will always remember, from page 2, 1st column, bottom paragraph:

Brett States:

"Weathering and coloring the stripwood is the single most important part of building the shed."

I took it from then on to mean any SierraWest Scale Model kit.

I responding to Karl by not responding to Karl...but rather responding to everyone on the forum. When I decided to order my first craftsman kit it was an obvious choice to go with a SierraWest Kit. I called Brett and and beside him wondering "who's this goofball" he was nothing but helpful and encouraging. He didn't try and sell me...he tried to inspire me, which he has done ever since. Once I started building the Tool Shed and posting it...enter Karl Allison...also, one who inspired me and challenged me to do better. If my work was good he said so AND...and this part was/is so important to me...AND if it was crap, he said so! Nobody improves if nobody challenges you...that's what I love about this forum and you all...no fluff, no "it looks wonderful" when it doesn't just good constructive feed-back so we all learn and build and enjoy this stuff together.

• Hey, Ken, you started out of the gate as a savant.

Just received my shipment from Brett today so am at that "really excited to start an SW kit stage" you mentioned above

George
  • Well thanks George...oh you lucky guy! I love starting a new kit...
  • Great news George, cant wait for you to start a new thread and then be able to follow along with your journey and progress. Take your time and enjoy it all !!

Karl.A
  • edited October 2018
    No pressure, George But I’m also waiting for your build thread. ;-))
    Terry
  • I was looking through your 'older' work Ken. Although this is superbly done its incredible to see how far you have reached since then. 2018-2022... and all that progress. It gives me hope! ;)