visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Tool Shed Part 1

Comments

• Hi Jim, Nice to hear from you and thanks for your comments. As I mentioned I'm really enjoying these kits and am totally hooked on Brett's entire set-up.

For the boards, I used a diluted wash of Floquil Grime and Thinner. Dipped a brush in the Floquil and dabbed it on my glass then into thinner and back on the glass and mixed it with the grime to get a thinned down Grime. Then I brushed the wood on all sides with a loaded brush of the wash and set aside to dry. Of course the wood was previously brush with a brass brush back and forth with the grain. This is exactly by Brett's instructions in the manual. The big variable comes next with how much you brush the wood AFTER the Grime wash is dry. I only let the wood get dry to the touch before brushing, maybe only 15-20 minutes. I brushed until I got the color I liked. Then I very lightly dry brushed the wood with a bit of Floquil Box Car Red, again exactly per Brett's instruction. I further stress the wood by taking my #11 knife blade and made various cuts along the boards. I then took a small brush and lightly dabbed some raw umber chalk (408.3) on the freshly exposed wood to age it. I did the same thing to the bottoms of all the boards to give them that aged look where they soaked up water, dirt, mud, etc. Just a little though.

The knotholes were done per Brett's instructions with minor Ken thrown in. I poked a hole in a board with a larger sized pin. I then pushed the tip of a tooth pick through the hole, not very far as you don't want a very big knot for HO Scale, until it was tight (no glue) and then snipped it off with some fine snips. Now, make sure you snip the exposed tooth pick off so the "smush" is running the same direction as the long run of the board or with the grain. When you snip the wood, it compresses it a bit making it slightly oblong. This should run with the grain. I then took my #11 blade and lightly carved out a larger "smush" shape simulating how the wood grain would flow around the knot hole. I actually removed a very thin layer of wood in this shape. I then dabbed some 408.3 chalk on the knot hole and carved area aging and accentuating the knot hole. If the knot hole sticks out too far just simply push it in as far as you like since there was no glue used just the friction of the tooth pick in a smaller hole.

One important point for me that I have not seen mentioned is the use of GOOD magnification and lighting for this work. I actually use a microscope! Yup, a real good quality stereo microscope mounted on a boom arm. Hope that helps and great "talkin" with you.
  • Hi Ken,

Wow ! Thank you for the tutorial. I am also hooked on Brett's Kits. Brett's instructions and overal design are superb. I am really trying to improve my modeling skills. There are so many fantastic modelers on the forum. I feel very fortunate everyone is kind and willing to share their knowledge to help others who have the same desire to bring Brett's kits to life.

Thanks again for the help! Looking foward to your next post.

Jim
  • Jim, No problem. Brett's instructions on the Tool Shed does not call for chalk weathering on the siding and I didn't use any other than on the knot holes and cut areas. The instructions on the Lineside Shed does call for coloring and weathering using the chalk powder method. Can't wait to try it. I'll be posting the completed roof of the Tool Shed hopefully tonight. -K
  • Here are some pics of the "finished" roof of my Tool Shed build. Comments?

I tore the paper with a straight edge rather than cutting with scissors to give it a more ragged edge....too much? I glued the edge down here and there to give it a undulating apperance, may need to do more of that. Kind of light on the streaking? Things that'll keep a person up at night...-Kimageimageimageimage
  • Tarpaper looks great, edges just right. What a wonderful job so far!
  • I also 'tear' my edges using a straight edge to get that effect, personally I like it .
    Roof looks great !!

Karl.A
  • Whew...great, thanks guys. Such a big step as the roof.. was stressing, in a good way, that I was on track with it. What a great first build to start with, able to concentrate on small details that will carry over to larger, more complex builds coming up....Ken
  • Great job on the castings and the tarpaper roof.
  • Hi Ken,

Excellent job on the roof and the rafters. I also like the torn edges of the roof. It is not overdone and fits the overall aged look of the building. I can't wait till I see what you do with the lineside shed as well. Are you going to finish the other kit and put both together in a diorama?

Jim
  • Hey Bryan, Thanks for the comment. I was really unsure on how the roof was going to pan out. Such an important feature!

Jim, Roof rafters were tricky as Brett commented in the manual, particularly in HO Scale! I did all the glueing under the scope. As my comment to Bryan indicated, the roof was like...take a deep breath and have at it. I figured with the size paper I had I could tear it once or twice and if I didn't like it could scissor cut the rest and have enough to finish it.

My idea on the "Sheds" was to combine the Tool Shed and Lineside, as they are very different in style and coloring and would compliment each other really nice, and place them together in a diorama on my layout. I think adding a nicely weathered old truck like a flat bed or old Model-T type pick-up would be nice. You know...I don't know about you but Brett's kits are so awesome I find myself planning my layout around his kits rather than the other way around! -Ken
  • Ken, I am the same. I have been planning my layout around his kits too. The layout plan I found in an old Model Railroader seemed to be made for Brett's kits. I am planning on adding the rigging shed with the lineside shed and tool shed as well grouped together. It seems they should go together. Brett's kits compliment each other very well making a beautiful scene. Bryan's current build definetely shows how great these kits go together to complete a scene.

Jim
  • Hey Jim, What size layout and what scale? have you completed the Rigging Shed?
    Ken
  • Almost completed Tool Shed....Need to put in nail holes on platform decking front edge and maybe some cross bracing underneath the shed. Platform decking may be too light...any thoughts there? I may do a smidge of dry brushing with some Grime Black or brown. I did however want a bit of a sun bleached look but may need more contrasty areas. I'll set-up a mock diorama with just the castings and say it's done for now...
    ...I'll be featuring the Lineside Shed next...Kenimageimageimageimageimage
  • The more I look at this the more I like the walls. The color and texture is great.
  • Bryan, thanks...do you think the platform decking is too light? It's a bit darker in reality as the picture shows it a tad lighter but still may need something....Ken
  • It looks sun-bleached which is good. Maybe a subtle dirty path where the workers would be walking.
  • It looks really really good Ken.

The third last picture has got to be my favourite. I love the way the bottom of the deck

posts are a bit darker where moisture would wick up.

Great stuff.
  • Ken, my layout is 6 x 12 feet and is HO scale. I am still working on the benchwork, planning around Brett's kits. The plan is from MR Saginas and Manistee Lumber CO. RR. I really want to do dual guage but most likely will not and will stick to HO scale only.
    The rigging shed is done. The roof is built in 2 parts and then attached. The laser cut stud walls make it easy to attach individual boards like your build . It was the quickest of the kits in the Logging Essentials. I am trying to build lights from Ngineering so I can light up this building , the fuel depot and others. Hopefully this week if I get in gear.
    I think the deck looks good and might be better yet if the end cuts have color added and a dirty trail from people walking is added. I think the deck seems a shade too light compared to the building. I hope this helps.
    Jim
  • Wes, Awesome that you noticed the deck legs. That's the exact effect I was shooting for.
    I used Higgins Ink straight on the very bottoms then a wet brush of pra was dabbed over the ink then followed by some chalk (408.9) Didn't want quite the harsh effect as if it were posts in water.

Hey Jim, You've got a good eye! I will be working to correct just the issues you pointed out. Darken up the platform decking just a bit overall then a faint traffic path and then dirty up the board ends a bit. Great...you'll have to let me see your track plan if you don't mind as mine is 8 x 13 so we're right on. LIghted buildings would be really nice....pictures, pictures??

Ken
  • Re-worked the deck by a general slight darkening and a bit darker traffic area. Used a dry brushing of Grimy Black and touched up the board ends with some chalk. I think it works better with the Shed siding.imageimage
  • I'm wondering what the back story is for the broken deck brace on the lower right; the ends look like a very clean break, perhaps suggesting some kind of collision, yet it doesn't look like it caved in at all. This is a great build and I'm looking forward to seeing how it will look with the details added.
  • Hi Mike: I'm afraid I broke what I bet is one of the rules of modeling....creating an effect without thinking it through as to how it could have occurred! Once you pointed out the clean, unweathered break and the pieces not bent back....Geesh! it looked crappy. I re-worked the piece and now have a more tragic break..one that's bent back obviously by something contacting it, but awhile ago (since cleaned up)...or I may place an old oil drum with the edge pushed in there at an angle. Thanks so much for your suggestion.imageimage
  • edited January 2013
    Ken, your latest couple of posts have gotten me nervous....
    Such a magnificent job on the shed but, now (to me) you seem to be over anxious and over enthusiastic about the deck. This area could have more impact on the build than the roof.
    Take some well meant advice and just pause for a short while.... I'll talk to you tomorrow.

Karl.A
  • Karl, Look forward to your wisdom here...I think the deck is looking real good right now. I have not glued down the shed yet so there's room for noodling it a bit. The two pics above are the re-do on the break of the one brace and the wear on the deck. I have since toned down the wear on the deck a bit as I think it got too dark. Reel me in if needed!

Ken
  • Completed Tool Shed with castings roughly staged. Lineside Shed build has been started and will post this build as it evolves. -Kimageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Fantastic job Ken, beautiful results,
    As I said earlier these pictures would pass for O scale all day long,
    especially the structure.

I'm really looking forward to what you do on the line side build,
    judging from this it should be a real gem !

Karl.A
  • All of the details look nice and old. Dusty and crusty...just right.
  • Thanks Karl...started the LineSide yesterday and so far so good. I love the contrasting siding coloration between the two structures Brett recommends.

Bryan....Dusty and crusty....I like that!
  • Perhaps even rusty
  • Lets coin "DC&R" for proper casting treatment!