visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

O Scale Mill Engine & Boiler House

124»

Comments

• Great work on the floor alan, both in colouring and fitment. As you noted colours change due to lighting and camera angle, yours looks good in all. I'll be looking forward to you dirtying it up and getting those castings in there, exciting steps where reality kicks in even more.
    Nice work so far.

Karl.A
  • Thank-you John and Karl. The encouragement is greatly appreciated.
  • By the way Alan, why do you use cork under the board? Where can I purchase a scaled metal ruler like yours?

Respectfully,
    John
  • Floor looks fantastic!
  • Thank-you Brett. John the "N-scale" cork plus the boards gave me a floor height to the top of the rails. This gave me the level floor I had seen in prototype photographs.
  • I'm going to need to make one of your strainer tools. That's a handy idea.
  • I love it all Alan.

That last pic you posted will be a great one once its full of castings and is dirtied up a bit and looking busy. I look forward to it.
  • I have been ill thus have been silent since last year. I am better and still recovering. I have been able to do some work over the last year. The horizontal boiler now has a chimney.

The engine has more added to it.

The office corner now has the stove, desk, and workers.

• Opps, can't see the photos.
  • edited February 2015
    Sorry here is a re-try.

• great to see the work ongoing. I love the last photo in particular- the interior shot. Very evocative.
  • Alan, looking really nice.
    John
  • edited February 2015
    Thank-you men. I continue....

I really like the chalk effects that Brett's manuals have taught me. Still not as good as some of the ones on the forum but we always need goals to shoot for.
  • Alan, you are so right. Brett centers the weathering techniques in the bible...sorry...manuals, around creating texture and the "chalk science" is at the heart of this. We would all do well to continue to strive to master this aspect and you're doing a great job. Love the boiler you worked up and as a side note can't wait to launch into the Deer Creek Mine release as it features a killer boiler scene. I would continue to weather and "dirty" up the insulation around the piping and maybe a bit more on the large steam engine belt. You may not be done here...just my thought.
  • I was wondering about some weathering on the pipe insulation, thank-you.

I did put more on the steam belt this morning.

Using some of kit wood I am building some items for inside the building. In proto pictures I have noticed that they place short pieces of chain on the rails fore and aft of a driver wheel to prevent rolling. Here is my version of these stored for use.

The workers had to stand on stuff to be able to work on the locomotives upper regions. Here are the steps in building one of them.
    Start with the raw materials.

Do some calculations for sizes of people.

Sketch out rough blueprint.

Here cutting the wood pieces the same sizes.

The sides.

Using a 90 degree block make the side square.

Some tape to hold it to cut the angle with the single edge razorblade.

Cut.

Both sides.

Soak in alcohol and India ink and layout to dry.

Break for lunch.
  • Alan, may have forgot to upload your images.....
  • Don't mean to jump off topic here...but Karl, how did you get the nose of the Mack Truck to look all pitted like that?

Thanks!
    The other Alan
  • I do not know what I am doing wrong on the pictures, sorry.
  • So this is the retry. I did put more on the steam belt this morning.

Using some of kit wood I am building some items for inside the building. In proto pictures I have noticed that they place short pieces of chain on the rails fore and aft of a driver wheel to prevent rolling. Here is my version of these stored for use.

The workers had to stand on stuff to be able to work on the locomotives upper regions. Here are the steps I used in building one of them.
    Start with the raw materials.

Do some calculations for sizes of people.

Sketch out rough blueprint.

Here cutting the wood pieces the same sizes.

The sides.

Using a 90 degree block make the side square.

Some tape to hold it to cut the angle with the single edge razorblade.

Cut.

Both sides.

Soak in alcohol and India ink then lay pieces out to dry.

• edited February 2015
    These following will be try number 3.

imageimage
  • Alan,
    Looking really nice . . .
    John