visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Wood coloring experiments

2»

Comments

• Number 1 and 3 in your first post get my vote Bryan. Theres a very Chuck Doan look about them.
  • How did you stain the boards before painting?
  • Thanks Bill & Wes. It is the same product Chuck used on one of his projects. I've tried it a few years ago and had trouble getting it to look the way I wanted it to. Now its starting to look right for me and it has been discontinued.

The boards would have been stained using chalks and standard SW methods. They were just scraps left over from a build.
  • One more experiment with the crackle paint.

I took some leftover 1x8 and painted with (water) diluted crackle. Built a wall, and chipped with a wire brush...heavier at the bottom as one might expect. I tried some brown and gray pigments to highlight the cracks. I like the brown better. Gave a wash of IA to settle everything in then added some green slime to the bottom. I like the color but think I went a bit too high on the wall. The brown at the top is just another experiment...I wanted to dry to get a nice dust/dirt buildup. Seen with the green covered, it would be at the bottom of the wall. All around a fun little experiment and one I am going to keep trying to work out exactly the way I want it.IMG_0099
    IMG_0100
    IMG_0101
    IMG_0103
    IMG_0105
    IMG_0107
    IMG_0110
    IMG_0111
  • I like one and three.
    Carl
  • Love it Bryan, great work.
  • I've tried the crackle paint and never had as good results. I like the heavy chipping fluid you used above.
  • I like that method, love the results.