visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

My First SWSM kit - RRC Truck Repair. #312

Comments

• Yes Al, clipboards on the left window frame. Pencils dropped on the floor, will be added if I find them....
    DSC_1263
  • Thanks Tom. For the labels, I cut them out, moist the backside with matt medium Fluid, wait maybe 5 - 10 seconds, and peel off the first layer of the paper with the tip of a tweezers. It's just a swipe or roll forth and back. Very easy and fast to do. Then comes another little drop matt medium on the back and I place the label on cans, drums or boxes. Once dry there is no shiny residue like I have when I use wood glue, and I have enogh time to place the label like I want it.
  • .... Well, I have enough time before the medium is dry, of coarse....
  • I agree the labels do look good.
  • Yes, they do indeed !!
  • edited April 2023
    Looking great Jens, Gotta love Bretts attention to detail in his kits with those laser cut clipboards, you did a great job with them. Even curled up pages... nice.

Labels came out great too, excellent job on those.

As has been said previously, you can tell it's good work when it still looks great in super close up pics like these.
  • Thank You very much,
    Kevin, Robert and Karl. Makes me happy to hear that from You.
    I spent the last days with building further detail parts.
    The workbench needs some tools and maybe paint/oil spots, but for a first mock-up I'm pretty happy with it.
    20230418_182512

20230418_182314

I liked Bryan's idea of a numbered part bin :wink: since I did not have any decals, I had to draw the numbers with a small brush.

20230418_182616
  • Very nice
  • Awesome work! Love the coloring on the resin cabinets and the numbered bins.
  • Thanks Steve.
    Brett, an awesome basis makes awesome work just possible. Thank You!
  • Those walls are AWESOME! Love how you have painted, weathered, labeled and laid out all the details. And that workbench looks quite well used to my eye. I think all it needs are some tools and clutter. Great work!
  • Outstanding work Jen, really well done.
  • Tom and Karl,
    Thanks for the compliments!!!
  • I really like the finish on all of your details.
  • everything looks outstanding. the finish on the walls and details is great. i love the parts bin. i think the two drawer cabinet next to the parts bin is upside down though. smaller drawer is always on top, and the handles wouldn't be so close to the bottom of the drawers.
  • Kebmo, you’re on to something about the 2 drawers! Good eye!
  • Thanks a lot, Bryan and Kevin.
    Kevin, I see what you mean about the drawer cabinet. When I have a look at my furniture at home, the small drawer is above the bigger one. But you can't use the underside as the top, cause due to the resin pouring process the underside is dented a bit.
    20230420_085648

So here is my solution:
    I replicated the cabinet surface out of a piece of styrene, glued it on the underside, and painted both ends in the wanted color.

20230420_202239
    20230420_214202
  • Perfect! Well done... on everything.
  • Thank you very much, Karl.
    In modeling, there are no problems, there are just challenges
  • perfect!

• Great work Jens !!! Keep on going... This is a fine kit ( they all are) .... :wink:
  • Thanks a lot, Kevin and Robert.
    Last week I glued the walls together and right now I deal with the base and the surrounding scenery on the layout. The first try with a concrete foundation failed, but I will try on...

@ Kevin, I hope Your hand is becoming better soon.
  • Turned out nice.

Your workers forgot which number comes after 15 I see.
  • Hope they are better mechanics....
  • Great work.
  • Ha Bryan !! I noticed that too and put it down to Jens excellent weathering and some faded lettering creating an optical illusion.
    Everything looks fantastic Jens.
  • indeed it does!
  • The truck repair will take its place on the right side of my layout. On the opposite of the road there will be a small fillingstation. (Defaced the thirdparty kit)
    20230505_181840

i needed a moveable base to get a better access for doing the scenery and details, so I adapted a 4mm hdf board to fit into place. I glued on a 5mm styrofoam to match the surrounding ground level. The base is now 12" going from 5" on the left to 6" on the right.

20230613_092329
  • Excellent work. I like where you are putting this too. The road, car, and bridge really add to the scene.