visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Welcome to Jerkwater

12345679»

Comments

• A good presentation of the diorama only makes it even better. !!
  • edited May 2023
    Bryan,
    I keep coming back to this photo trying to imagine the steps you used to create the stump of the fallen tree.
    http://www.craftsmankituniversity.com/vanforum/uploads/imageupload/566/DO2X3IU5YAHV.png
    I think I have an idea of how to do it but I would like to read about the method you used.
    As always, Thanks for sharing your creative builds and methods.
    Later, Dave S., Tucson, AZ
  • Dave, the tree was made using the same wire method as the other trees. The dirt clinging to the roots started as light weight spackling that was painted dark brown. Apply full strength white glue with a brush evenly to dirt then sprinkle with real dirt. After dry, stipple some more glue in patches and add more dirt. When dry, soak in diluted glue which I think was about 50/50.
  • I got a base coat of paint on and put down ties. The set of ties leading through the floor of the workshop will transport handcars to the 6-pole shed which will be a 2nd work area. Once the glue dries, I can grain and stain the ties, put down ballast and lay rail.IMG_1044
  • Looking good Bryan, it's a great stage when the vision in our heads starts to become reality.
    Obviously we (well I) usually need to adapt things to make them work, but thats just part of the journey,
    I'm looking forward to following along with the rest of your journey on this build.
  • So am I Karl, so am I.... Nice project..
  • Bryan,
    Thanks for your response as to how you created the toppled tree stump. Informative explanation as always.
    Later, Dave S.
  • Can't wait to see this come together. All the components look great so far.
  • i'm really enjoying this trip down the jerkwater rabbit hole.
  • Thanks guys for following along. Kevin, it really has been a rabbit hole project. And it keeps getting deeper.

The rail has been laid, the frame got a first coat of paint and the foam has been glued into position. Once dry, I'll start placing structures. A cut out for the light switch can be seen in the corner shot and a small piece of plywood was glued in place underneath to give the circuit board and battery pack something to grab onto.

IMG_1097
    IMG_1098
    IMG_1099
  • Test fitting of the structures with the addition of the Jerkwater volunteer fire department train at the filling station.

IMG_1108

IMG_1103
    IMG_1105
    IMG_1107
  • That's fantastic! I really love the layout. So much to check out and "dive into". Excellent job Bryan.
  • Very nice! There's a lot packed into this small space. Can't wait to see it after all the scenery and details are added.
  • Thats a really interesting twist on the arrangement and placement Bryan.
    I'm looking forward to seeing the scenes I know you are going to create here.
  • Even now, one can say this will be an excellent diorama !!!
  • Looping great, Bryan.
    I also like your pipe shelf!!
  • edited May 2023
    Thanks Brett, Robert, Jens.
    Tom, it looks like a smaller space in these pics than in real life. The footprint turned out to be 23.5 X 16.5. It will be the biggest I have.
    Karl, that's a nice way to say I don't follow directions.
  • edited May 2023
    It was also a nice way to say you have great imagination and I know you'll be creating some wonderful scenes with it... :-)
  • Hey Bryan...most excellent my friend! Love your display shelving. Sweet piece of work.