visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Welcome to Jerkwater

Comments

• The shingles turned out great Bryan
  • Great colors on the shingles. Rust on the bands bleeding through the yellow paint looks just right Randy
  • Nice progress Bryan, the shingle colour and texture looks great.
  • Thanks guys.

It's about time to put the tank to the side for a moment. It's decision time on the shed and whether to cut down its size. I've got a mockup sitting on the bench now and I believe I have it figured out. I'll start staining/graining the siding while I work out the final details.

The finial covered the peak shingles nicely.
    IMG_0769
    IMG_0770
  • Very nice Bryan I like the finial looks great. ..........Carl..........
  • Nicely done Bryan! Lots of great color and it all blends together so well.
  • Nice finial. Also really like the brick colours.
  • It is looking great Bryan. Randy
  • Very nice Bryan!
  • Looking great.....diggin the tones...
  • edited December 2022
    Thanks guys. One update to post before the festivities begin today.

It took a while to get up the nerve but I finally made the cut on the repair shed. It will be a small stand alone structure. I did the siding a gray barnwood look. Other alterations included adding a trap to the front and back walls...a fun trick I picked up from other builds. I'll start working on the interior and exterior of the walls next while I decide on the roof material. I'm leaning towards tarpaper or corrugated.

A quick shot of the 2 structures disconnected here also. It's got me wondering if I could pull off a tarp stretched between the two as a cover.

IMG_0772
    IMG_0774
    IMG_0775
  • Nice color Bryan. Looking forward to see how you put it all together. Randy
  • edited December 2022
    randyp said:

Nice color Bryan. Looking forward to see how you put it all together. Randy

we know what ever it is you come up with will be interesting.
  • Great job Bryan. Nothing like a dead rat in the water!!

Jerry
  • look forward to seeing how this mod comes together. Nice wood work as usual!
  • Looking great so far Bryan, really liking that wall colour in the last pic.
    Can't wait to see where this build goes next...
  • Thanks guys.

I threw together a little sand storage & drying facility. Copied from a long out of production kit from Sequoia. Just because.

IMG_0789
  • Nice setup there Bryan. Excellent idea.
  • Oh my.....I started looking at a sanding facility too....I like the looks of yours.....trying to keep the area not heavily mechanized as I will have a full loco facility a dozen or so scale mile away on the other side of the layout...but I am inspired....
  • Nice build Bryan!
  • Thanks Emery and Ken.

Art, it was a fairly straightforward build. I would have taken more shots but it's still wet from dousing the sand. Didn't want to mess it up. Like I say, its from plans from a discontinued kit. Too bad we don't know anyone who specializes in backwoodsy logging and mining type kits. Maybe that person could put together a small loco shed with service facilities.

If you are looking for something more substantial, I think the Woodcutter Shack would make the foundation of a great sanding facility.

Later I'll be adding a tower with a retractable platform to get the sand up. And I'm thinking for fuel it will be "pick yer poison". There will be oil, wood and coal as options. May even throw in one of those cool new gas pumps for kicks.
  • Don't be surprised if I copy some of your stuff....ever so slightly.....at least the ideas...
  • Feel free to copy as you see fit. I'll send a pic of the plans if you like.

I put together a tower to load sand and maybe coal. This will get planted next to the water tower and is the same height. The ropes are to raise the buckets and to raise the platform. The platform is moveable because I wasn't sure how I'd want it to look. I started to make the swing arm moveable also, but the bracket cracked so it got epoxied in place. .030 styrene for the metal bands with NBW and water-slide rivet decals. I think they turned out nice.

I think I'm going to build the walls of the station next. This will give me the chance to lay everything out and get a feel for the needed real estate. From there get back around to the water tank and start detailing it.
    IMG_0790
    IMG_0791
  • I think I have the backstory down now also:

For years the townsfolk of Leadville and Alma, CO have feuded over bragging rights to which town had the highest elevation with each claiming to be the 2-mile high city. Separated only by a few miles as the crow flies, its a 75 mile train ride to get around Mt Sherman. Situated at the halfway point, and in the shadows of Marmot Peak (no that is not a ferret) lies the sleepy whistle stop known as Jerkwater. Much to the townsfolk delight, it is situated at a higher elevation than Leadville and Alma. Thus began the town motto of "It's all downhill from here".
  • Bryan...your backstorys are almost as entertaining as your modeling ;-))

Terry
  • Bryan...your backstorys are almost as entertaining as your modeling ;-))

Terry

i concur.....
  • Thanks Terry and Kevin. It keeps me entertained.

I have one rolling around in my head about Shep Shelby and a waterfront Bluesky...
  • Thanks Bryan, I try to never copy anyone....what I kinda mean are concepts, seems like we are both doing a similar build of an area used for maintenance between 2 larger towns or facilities.....so I'm watching where you go, and gaining ideas....I'm working next on my fueling and sanding area once I get the water tank and shed done....and I never thought of a name....but I have one now.....and it will appear on the tiny whistle stop station which is coming soon. Like your metal bracing a lot....I've used heavy cardstock in the past...not a big fan of styrene....Keep up the fantastic work...
  • hah! My old friend Shep. There's a dumb story about where I came up with Shep, maybe tell it on a future podcast... Bryan, your work is amazing!
  • As Brett said "your work is amazing". Randy