visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Easy (and I mean easy) chipping paint effect for 3D Printed Castings

Comments

• Right Brett it works great to keep the line nice and clear. Takes only a second or two and any waste is so small to be a no issue. I don't use spray paint often enough to worry about getting to technical and usually buy the small 100ml cans and by the time there would be any issues it's about gone anyway. I use Tamiya spray paint almost exclusively and their Fine Mist Primer can't be beat.
  • Thanks for the tips. I have taken the nozzles off the cans and soaked them in mineral spirits but that doesn't work very well. I'll have to try the xylene. I do save all nozzles if and when I do actually empty a can of paint but always seem to not have enough.
  • admin said:

"Turning a can upside down and spraying until clear wastes both paint and propellant" - I find this method works if you remember to do it every time, but uhmmm, I seem to always forget.

Seems no matter what I do they still clog up. I'm lucky to get thru ⅔ of a can... Gonna try the soaking cap in Xylene. Only done that using paint thinner and no go - most eb too weak a solvent.

i have to give that a try. i've had terrible luck with rattle cans.
  • Hey Kevin, that technique I suggested works great to keep the line and nozzle clear. Check out Tamiya small spray cans (100ml). They spray great and smaller cans tend to run out before significant clogging issues surface.

• Is this the Tamiya you're using?

Screen Shot 2022-02-09 at 5.58.16 AM
  • The can label looks different but just may be an updated label...I’ll look around and check if it’s the same...I have used the Testors small cans and Tamiya is so much better.
  • The paint I have is for aircraft models but I think it’s only the color line that makes it different they are both the same paint...the aircraft line has more muted camo type colors.
  • On the issue of clogged spray cans I buy bags of replacement nozzles online. They don't have anything for the Krylon camo paints because of the weird nozzle but for the Rustoleam ones just search for Rusto Fat Caps. I think they are used by graffiti "artists" and they come it different patterns and a bag of 50 is only a couple dollars. The heavy spray pattern ones are bad for castings but give a nice texture for roofing material especially 3 tab shingles.
  • Great tip Steve...get it! Lol...
  • KKarns said:

Great tip Steve...get it! Lol...

[rimshot] he'll be here all week....

• I've looked replacement caps online and bought some that said they were for Rustoleum but they didn't work. Made a huge mess. I'll try looking again.
  • Cracked me up Kev!
  • F O U N D
    Rustoleum cammo black - back in stock at my Walmart.
    First time in at least a year.
  • Now that is good news... Now I just need a can (or three) of the Khaki to go with it ... !
    (and not at $16 per can)
  • Karl.A said:

Now that is good news... Now I just need a can (or three) of the Khaki to go with it ... !
    (and not at $16 per can)

Ton of khaki and brown too... maybe this is coming back nationwide at $5/can. Still out of stock at Amazon. HD and Lowes still spotty as well, no black at all. If anyone finds the black (especially) locally let us know! But get out there and grab some black while it is still in stock, just don't go to my Lake Dallas WM, somebody might have bought all 6 cans of the black...

• Checked Walmart today and they have it here in central Wisconsin as well. They changed the can though which now says "2X Ultra coverage", I hope they didn't change the formula too much. Haven't tried it yet.
  • i've been able to get it at ace whenever i want it. i'll gladly pay a few pennies more at ace than give the walton family anymore money.
  • Bought entire cases at LOWES in NJ.....
  • I too use the Rustoleum Camo paints but was told that they were going to stop making them, so I bought everything Home Depot had. Well it sounds like they are back which is great. This is about the only spray paint I had been using and didn't want to change. Plus I told my wife she can use it to paint her nails and save us a ton of money :)
  • glandesjr said:

I too use the Rustoleum Camo paints but was told that they were going to stop making them, so I bought everything Home Depot had. Well it sounds like they are back which is great. This is about the only spray paint I had been using and didn't want to change. Plus I told my wife she can use it to paint her nails and save us a ton of money :)

16 penny nails?

• Adding to an old one here but if you use a can of brake cleaner to blow out the tip, the straw fits in the base or the tip perfectly and the solvent cleans the paint right out. Bob
  • Oldiron said:

Adding to an old one here but if you use a can of brake cleaner to blow out the tip, the straw fits in the base or the tip perfectly and the solvent cleans the paint right out. Bob

thanks for the tip, bob. how exactly do you do it? what's the method?
  • Pull the tip off the paint can, stick the tube from the brake clean in the bottom and spray away. Pro tip, make sure the opening of the spray tip points AWAY from you, brake clean taste terrible. Bob
  • I have uploaded a new tutorial to YouTube demonstrating this technique:

• Awesome video,
    Quick, clear and precise presentation with outstanding results.
  • Great video. Very helpful, thanks.
  • Very professionally done!
  • Thank you so much for the video. Very instructional and motivational....Rick
  • Great video Brett - clear and easy to follow. Your “side-bar” comments are also very useful for us newcomers. Will you be adding this video to your Craftsman Kit University collection?