visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Hickory NC

Comments

• Don also took 1st place and Best of Show with his square footer complete with alligator under the dock.

IMG_1731
    IMG_1732
  • Congrats Rick! Well done!!

Jerry
  • This diorama and structure were done in N scale. The machine shop took 3rd in structures. I was truly impressed.

IMG_1727
    IMG_1733
  • the open air shed is well done. That was a Yorke kit issued many years ago!

So glad to see Don winning (again!). He's a super good guy.
  • Part of the convention was the Tweetsie included with registration. We had the park to ourselves and they staged some fantastic runbys with both the 12 and 190. Of course I have mostly videos I can't post here, but I'm sure someone will post on Youtube.

IMG_1630
    IMG_1633
  • Also only 1 hour away was the North Carolina Transportation Museum on the grounds of the former Southern Railway facility. It covers many acres including the 38 stall roundhouse filled with lots of locomotives and specialty equipment and some restored passenger cars.

IMG_1746

They are constantly maintaining and restoring equipment in the shops. Many of the locomotives are in operating condition.
    I want Brett to model this machine shop.

IMG_1743

And I couldn't pass up this tidbit on a Southern caboose.

IMG_1742

I did go by Lou Sassi's layout on the way home. What a treat. Obviously published many times.

Hopefully Muddy Creek can add much more about the event.....Rick
  • admin said:

the open air shed is well done. That was a Yorke kit issued many years ago!

I’ve never seen that kit. That’s cool! Do you remember the name? I tried Google and came back with nothing.
  • Great going Rick. A terrific job on a great kit. It is really difficult winning an award at the NNGC contest with HO structure or diorama models. I think almost all of the times I've seen it is with SWSM kits. A really imaginative way of displaying your model as well which helps show all sides of Brett's incredible creations. Which as we all know is essential to do justice to them.

I have had a lot of fun with these contests for 15 years and could do a separate thread on all of the nuances of model contests and how Brett can help you be successful.

Again- Bravo and congratulations to the young Mountaingoat!
  • Congratulations Rick. Beautiful job on the diorama.
  • Fantastic work Rick!!
  • Congrats to all the winners. Great work. Thanks for sharing.
  • Well deserved 1 places..
  • I to have Never seen that Yorke open shed kit???
  • Thanks for the update. Looks like fun for all.
  • Congratulations Rick. Quite an accomplishment and you should be proud!! Phil
  • Great work Rick and congratulations on your award. Like Mike said, it is very difficult for an HO scale model to win an award at the Narrow Gauge Convention. I have tried and lost.
  • Rick I can't really add any more photo wise...the stuff you have covers it well. The attendance was low as expected...and there were few contest models on display. I think the fact that the larger scale stuff gets a nod is the ability to see details without reading glasses on. As we had spoke...I thought the open shed was your only threat. Your model was outstanding though...and I heard many good compliments on it. I hope you enjoy that Essentials kit....I walked away with a lot of good stuff as the vendors on Saturday decided that less weight on the way home was a good idea...Next year is Tacoma....I plan on trying to be there as that area has many great prototypes to see.....Pittsburg in 2024 will be a great option too. For any of you in the Northeast...the Narrow O Show in Harrisburg will be a great place to be if you do O scale. It's in June.
  • Thank you all for the kind words. Personally I think there are several on this forum that exceed my abilities. They are the ones that inspire me. Now the real question is what I will build next......Rick
  • Congrats to the contest winners, and thanks for taking time to share some pics from the event! Great looking work all around.
  • Here is an example of what you are up against in a popular vote contest like the NNGC.
    This model was in Hickory and took I believe 3rd place in dioramas. The photos I think are dramatic and the coloring and scenery are really well done. There was a placard next to the model that said it was from a thirty year old kit produced by by the Imagination Station called the Saratoga Mine, and it was designed by the legendary Malcom Furlow.

The construction consisted of dental plaster foundation, walls, and roof. Not quite board on board but there are no requirements or points given for what materials are used or the complexity or quality of the modeling.

It is what it is.

Saratoga Mine front

41NNGCSaratogaMine_IMG_2755 copy

• I do love the coloring on this.
  • Back in the day this kit (and Malcom too) were controversial in the hobby. A small group of "industry people" felt his work was too cartoonish. The way they treated him was a tremendous influence on me and eventually how I would approach manufacturing. It was such a childish reaction to his work and an embarrassing display of jealousy. I appreciate his work so much and always thought the Saratoga Mine was an amazing kit, especially considering the other kits at the time (other than FSM) did not promote weathering/aging much! Hard to imagine for sure.
  • I wonder who was behind that small group of "industry people"
  • The prototype police.
  • edited September 2021
    Quality will always stand out and show !!! Look at the award winning SW kits !!!

And f*** the rivet counters....
  • edited September 2021
    I definitely would look forward to anything Mike Engler can say about the nuances and details of a winning dio
  • ALCO said:

I definitely would look forward to anything Mike Engler can say about the nuances and details of a winning dio

Mike is our expert on winning! Carl Laskey has been a veteran winner too!
  • Whenever I am asked my opinion I am ready ALCO. So here are a few of MY observations regarding model contests, especially those decided by popular vote:

1) Start with a SWSM kit, preferably O Scale. Bigger usually wins- not only diorama size, but also scale. Rarely do HO scale or kit-built models win Best of Show. The list of winners for the 41 NNGC conventions include only a few 1:87 models, most are larger scales like 1:20.3 (F), 1:24, 1:48 (O). Elliott Moore and I won many years back (2008 and 2009) with HO SWSM Twin Mills dioramas and both were approximately 3x3 ft. I think they were the first kits to have won. Until Brett and a few other manufacturers introduced true craftsman kits the hobby in general didn't appreciate the modeling skills that often equaled or even exceeded the best scratchbuilders.

2) Little People, vehicles, lots of detail castings always help especially on the smaller scales. They are distractions to purist model builders and aren't often included in kits for obvious reasons. They do make the diorama come to life or "pop". Subtle coloring and weathering of them- e.g. you don't want an orange pickup truck, are another plus. There are many HO and O figures out there if you really look. You can easily make the figures better. Dave Revelia and other fine modelers have put on many clinics on painting and detailing figures, and I have seen several on Youtube and magazine articles. Remember from a viewing distance of 2-3 ft. lack of accurate facial details on an HO figure are not apparent.

3) Make sure your entry is detailed on all four sides. This is easily done with a SWSM diorama and as we all know they are great to see from every angle- Brett's designs always have included that important feature. Since many contest rooms have entries displayed along walls, an inexpensive lazy susan turntable is a great idea and usually allowed. Large dioramas often get their own table- another big plus for big models. Lighting can help but sometimes not appreciated in well lighted rooms. Some rooms are so dark that I have seen models that the entrant enhanced by supplemental lighting fare well but usually it is not allowed.

4) Virtually every structure I have ever built has a removable roof, and in many cases it is advisable to display them adjacent to the model and usually this is allowed. As we know there are lots of details that are difficult or impossible to to see in most buildings. Most models are displayed on 30" high tables and you don't see many contest voters (most old like us) willing or able to get very close when viewing them. Another reason why larger scale models have an advantage is by showing off graining, knot holes, perfect corners, etc.

5) Usually at most conventions like NNGC many eligible attendees given ballots don't vote. Many are strictly railfans, vendors, spouses and folks who don't have time as they are attending clinics, layout tours, many prototype railroad opportunities, and the vendor show. Many that do vote don't scrutinize models or appreciate them in the same way members of this forum do. Cuteness is a voting criteria for some. Several times I have attended shows where the contest room was hard to find or not always open during afternoons, or voting ended earlier than expected to allow time for counting ballots etc.

6) Many times I have seen models that a lot of us didn't consider to be the best modeling
    represented win. I have observed two of the best models I have ever seen, done by Chuck Doan and later Karl Allison not win. So remember that not winning doesn't mean that your model wasn't a great model, and that it was seen and admired and photographed by your peers. This year's winner Don Railton is a good friend and a great modeler. Don usually build's NE seacoast models and usually wins a prize or two with a superb structure, diorama or piece of rolling stock. He usually builds in 1:24 scale and his detailing, graining and staining is as good as I have ever seen. Don uses a lot of balsa wood in his board-on-board construction and does his graining with an X-acto knife. In 1/24th scale it is appreciated from several ft. away.

7) Get your entry in early if you can. For whatever reason contest committees often allow voting to begin as soon as entering begins on Wednesday. Some contests allow the entrant to choose the display location of his or her model on a first come first served basis.

8) Remember it's just Rock n' Roll. Unlike judged model contests you probably won't see any of the voters get down for up-close observation with a flashlight and magnifying glass, or a scoresheet with actual criteria to compare with other entries. . Don't take the competitive aspect or yourself too seriously. Be happy if you are one of the winners but keep entering if you don't because the highlight of any model contest is the chance to see all the great modeling by people around the world. Keep your expectations low but the fun level high.

Enough of model contests for this year. Let's find out what the dimension limitations are for Tacoma. (You can make convention hotel reservations beginning Oct. 1st.) If you haven't started building you are behind.
  • Mike, so well written. I was the only one with a lazy susan. Only one other diorama had lighting besides mine. The winning O scale diorama was very attractive to the eyes without the need for a magnifying glass. I did not do figures as I want a better look than I can currently achieve, but would have added life to the display. I wanted a vehicle, but did not get it completed in time. Upward and onward.

Don Railton did win both structure and square footer with 1:24 scale models. His work is indeed impressive.

More importantly I encourage all on this forum to explore the possibility of entering. I think everyone I've seen here are worthy. Those in O scale do have an edge. It's just fun to put your work in front of those other than just this forum. The attendees do appreciate it....Rick

• Thanks Mike for your many builds here and love your work.

I disagree that some HO builds are not a competitor compared to O scale in comps.
    Bigger does not always win..Detail wins in my camp no matter what scale.

Others may not see the small detailed areas that it takes to do HO scale. Its very challenging and rewarding if you do it right in HO scale.

Yes, O scale is about twice the size of HO and you can see the details better but if you can master the HO version, many will appreciate the HO details if you look closely.

I am a HO builder but like doing O scale at times as well.

Keep on modeling Mike we love your work!

Pappy