visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Mike Engler's First 1:48 Scale Layout (or maybe just a large diorama)

2»

Comments

• Beautiful work so far.
  • Really like the weathering and wood tones you achieved. Have you gone to the dark side and abandon HO/HOn3 for good? Lol...
  • Mike beautiful framing and coloring!

I'm sure it will pass Brett's inspection for the traps well done.

Jerry
  • Thanks to all of you for the comments. Ken I'm probably on the dark side of something but I haven't finished my HO layout. I'll do both scales for awhile. I've got most of the HO structures done however and I like building structures a lot more than track, wiring etc.

I'm guessing that a few of us are more model builders than model railroaders. but it's all fun. Now I've got to research what the latest techniques are for decorating these castings. Should I prime all of the resin ones black or should the wooden barrels and benches be khaki?

And since I'm almost out of Blacken-it, should I try to find some AK or Ammo or whatever the new state-of-the-art products are for the metal? Since I've got several hundred acrylic, Floquil, pastel chalks and others on hand I probably can get by without. But if I wanted two or three go-to of the newer ones what should I get?
  • Mike for the metal castings I would defiantly go with the JAX Pewter Black.

And its a lot better than the old stuff we use to use and a lot stronger so you have to make sure you rinse the parts well.

Jerry
  • I put a little bit of baking soda in my rinse after blackening since its an acid that does the work...then a quick rinse in cool water.....I also rinse the part in alcohol prior to painting to make sure its real clean....
  • Wonderful Mike. btw, I believe Engler has always been on the dark side since we met 20+ years ago... but that's one of the reasons we love him so much!
  • Beautiful work Mike, those walls are outstanding.
    I remember back in 2007/8/9 when I started and used to follow your SWSM builds and wanted to one day be as good as you.
    Now its 2021 and I'm still following, watching and admiring your work. Still learning and as always, impressed and in awe.
    Looking forward to your next update, so I can take an idea or too...
  • Karl thanks for the kind words my friend but truth be known I've learned much more from you than the other way around.

I take the occasional long break from here as you do but I'm beginning to work on the details. In addition to a little "writer's block" it's taking a while to catch up on all the new techniques and products the guys are coming up with on the forum, like Bryan's Snow Dome.

I'm getting a complete total new shoulder next week so that will slow me down again but the doc says I should be able to paint some detail castings in a couple of weeks and I've a few to do. I have blackened the metals and worn out a couple of felt discs on my Dremel- used Jax and one of the last few bottles of Blacken-It I have. Equal results and one of you guys had a good tip on not waiting very long after they dry to burnish them.

Received in four days DHL from Spain some new toys in search of the perfect silvery grey. I haven't used any of the AK stuff before and my stash of decorating agents was running low so I'm anxious to try them.

IMG_2609 copy

IMG_2686 copy

IMG_2926 2 copy
  • What do you weather with the Mini cola bottles.....
  • Nice progress. You will like the AK products. I have not used the metal burnishing product but have used many of their products. Have liked them all except the color of the enamel rust deposits...nice texture, not nice color in my opinion. Other good wood weathering options are the enamels Dark Wash for wood (brown) and Naval Deck Wash (gray).
  • Mike: Best wishes for successful shoulder surgery and a very speedy recovery. It's a bitch getting old, I know (nearly 76, now).

BrianM
  • Mike looking good. Hope the surgery goes well and your back at the bench sooner than later.

Brian when you get as old as me and Brett you can complain!!

Jerry
  • edited November 2021
    Hey now Jerry, talk for yourself... I'm only a couple behind Brett and I'm still a youngster.

Take care Mike and good luck on the surgery, looking forward to your return to the bench.

(Save that scarce 'A-West Blacken-it' just for the brass parts, rods, pipes... etc...
    there are several options we can now use now for white metal, which are all great, but,
    the A-West was the best to truly blacken brass.)

Talk soon,
    Karl.A
  • Mike, you will love the AK 3rd generation. The regular stuff, not so much. I have many, many bottles of each and don't even pick up the regular ones off the shelf anymore.
    Like Bryan said, the washes are another really wonderful addition.
    Take it easy on the new shoulder sir.
  • Mike, what you did so far on the building looks very nice from here. Again, this is a fantastic kit !!!!!
    You are about to become the bionic man !!! Good luck with the new shoulder.
  • What do you weather with the Mini cola bottles.....

I was wondering the same thing myself as I sure didn't order them. The package indicates they are candy but I think I will pass on them. Anyone want to give them a try?
    Do you think Spanish candy is like Spanish fly? Ouch! Only the ol
    d guys will get that one.

• Thank you all for the kind comments and the well wishes!
  • Get your mind out of the gutter....ya crowding me.... bahahbaha
  • Take care Mike. Here's to a speedy and uneventful recovery.
  • Hope you get better soon Mike!!