visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Mike Engler's First 1:48 Scale Layout (or maybe just a large diorama)

I'm almost finished with my mostly SWSM HO layout (has 14 Sierra West dioramas included) so it's time to think larger scale. My last thread here was finished over six months ago on the "Son of Brass and Iron Factory" and I still have a yet-to-be finished thread on my first and last HO layout. It still needs a river landing or small pier to ship all of my cut-lumber and ore products.

The last few years I've built a few O scale structures but really avoided Brett's inviting projects since I was focused on all of his fabulous HO kits on my shelf and my layout. I did build his O Scale Tool and Rigging Sheds a few years ago and really was hooked on the larger scale concept. I definitely am much more model builder than model railroader. I also put together a few small structure FOS Scale and Stoney Creek Designs O Scale kits and they were much fun.

Now I've started to work on a module (probably 2x3 or 2x4 ft.) that will have some of my favorite O Scale Sierra West kits. The small sheds for sure and the Logging and Tractor Repair, Blue Sky, and others I'm still choosing. The module will include stand-alone dioramas blended together like I've done with the HO layout since I enjoyed that concept so much. It's also great for entering some of them in the occasional model contest which I also consider fun and challenging.

I'm doing the walls for the Tractor Repair shed- this will not be a step-by-step build thread as there are several of these on this classic kit already on this great forum. Rather it will have progress reports, some techniques I've learned from great model-builder's like Brett and members of this forum, and the processes I use to take on these projects. As you may know I am more of a competent art forger than a creative and original thinker. Also will provide a little history, nostalgia, strategy, and a technique or two and even a little of what I consider humor.

As always the coloring I am striving for varies greatly with the lighting. Here are the first (no windows, battens, etc. yet) walls and what they look like on the work area, then outside, and finally layout lighting. Contest rooms are usually close to my work table lighting but often are much dimmer. I need some rework here on framing, replace some boards, etc.

Work table
IMG_2252

IMG_2253

Outside
IMG_2254

IMG_2285

Layout lighting
IMG_2258

IMG_2259

IMG_2261

IMG_2262

Comments

• Love what you have so far. Your wood looks incredible. Really looking forward to what you have to offer......Rick
  • Bout time you got to the "Dark Side"! Mike your off to your usual great start love the coloring.

Jerry
  • Nice variation in the colouring. Walls look great.
  • this is a fun one. i'll be along for the ride. can't wait to see another master's take on a great kit.
  • Off to a good start
  • This is awesome. I have been eagerly waiting to see your modeling in O Scale! Thanks for posting.

Off to a great start, love the walls so far!
  • Nice work Mike really like how you have distressed the wood.
  • Great work Mike.. Looks a lot like my version ..
  • Thanks to all of you. I will enjoy working with all of you again and hope to get your opinions and ideas as well.

My favorite part of any wooden structure- attempting to get the coloring right- usually for unstained and much weathered cedar, pine, redwood, oak etc. As we all know this shading varies greatly from different geographies- many shades of browns and grays. I'm partial to the part of the U.S. I've lived in most of my life where such wood is often a silvery gray. So ultimately there is no right or wrong here- beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Fifteen years ago I started with Twin Mills and the recommended stains were variations of different colored acrylic craft store paints, black ink, and water. Yes, water- no isopropyl alcohol in those days for me- and it didn't warp!

So the progression has been A/I, Rembrandt pastel chalks, etc. Lately I've tried and liked PanPastels (spendy but I had a nice credit from my local Dick Blick store). I've even tried some commercial ready-mixed stains from Hunterline, B.E.S.T.- secret formulas but I suspect shoe dye or ink but I think all are rubbing alcohol based. And all can be good and produce good effects if used right. The fine chalk powders provide the desired texture but need to be used sparingly else they can clog-up your graining effects.

The first walls I've done are some experimenting and as I said a few boards will be replaced. The few that had PanPastels are nice because with an eraser you get a do-over. I never use dull-cote or other fixatives as they usually diminish or remove part or all of the texture and color you spent time achieving.

The last comment by Robert G. is right-on. I think his version of tan-grey-brown-silver is great, and I really appreciate him sending me some high-res photos of his Blue Sky that was featured in the 2020 On30 Annual. The magazine photos were great but no reproductions are as good as the originals.

Again the whole story is while Brett's staining techniques have evolved over the 25 or so years, in each kit there are complete step-by-step instructions to achieve the state-of-the-art results of the day. From the first HO Blue Sky Warehouse forward.

• Mike, great job on the wood!
    Keep us posted!
  • It's been about four weeks since an update but I've been busy, as they say. Says who?
    I've worked some on the HO layout and more or less have finished the Tool Shed that goes on this O scale diorama.

The progress on the Logging and Tractor Repair Shed is that I have completed all of the walls. Of course some touch-up to do and a little more shading here and there. The colors are pretty close to what I am after. The first two photos show the front and back of all of them and are over-exposed since I used the outside light with my cell camera.

The third is more representative after a little more grey pastel has been added and with my lay-out lighting. Next I'll work on the base which will later be dropped into the larger diorama base. I'll take a couple of the Tool Shed as well.

IMG_2488 copy

IMG_2486 copy

IMG_2474
  • Great color on the walls. Even the 'over-exposed' ones I like very much..
  • They look good.
  • Excellent work, Mike
  • Love the variation in the colouring. Nicely done.
  • Looks great Mike!

Jerry
  • 1st set of wall pix is super. Board and batten without (most of) batten! Definitely saving those pix.
  • Wonderful stuff, love the deterioration and coloring!
  • Everything looks just right Mike.

George
  • Great weathering and coloration of those walls!
  • The weathering is fantastic Mike
  • Thank all of you for the compliments. Especially since I know that you folks are the experts in coloring and weathering.
  • i think most of us on here think that of you mike.
  • I started getting a base to put this on and used a piece of 12x12" pink foam and sprayed it Khaki. This will drop into a larger diorama maybe 18 x 24 or 36 or so depending how many elements I do. For sure a tool shed or two and probably a version of Blue Sky- maybe as some sort of small shingle mill. I've got an idea for the Cat scene which will be adjacent to this base, but most of the other castings will fit nicely on this one.

I stained the floor boards and used my favorite 3M 465 transfer adhesive tape to attach them to the foam. I never use glue or epoxy unless I have to. I also use the tape to glue down ties and use Formula 560 canopy glue to attach the rail to the ties. By the time it's ballasted attached with white glue and water none of it is going anywhere.

I've always hand laid all the track on the HO layout and used Fast Tracks to make the turnouts, but I get pretty bored with it. Here I've tacked in place a section of On30 flex track that I removed some of the ties from, sprayed it a dark brown (rust), snipped off some tie-ends, and used a few shades of craft paints to weather the ties and then chalked it.

I like the detail of the ME track- spikes are the right size, ties are grained, right-scale tie plates with 4-6 spikes per tie, etc. Code 70 rail which is great for narrow gauge and/or short line RR's.

This is a great book for making your track look good whether on dioramas or a lay-out. Lots of good ideas.

IMG_2523

IMG_2405
  • Great start Mike.
    I have this book and second his recommendation....Rick
  • Very nicely done Mike. The weather boards and track right on. Really looking forward to this adventure!

Jerry
  • I put the walls together. This is always the go or no-go point in the build- see if my four corners pass Brett's inspection as to whether my stripwood traps were worthy.

Now on to some of these great-looking castings. The structure is not glued to the base yet as landscaping will start later.

IMG_2573 copy

IMG_2575 copy

• Speaking of “masterclass”, look at those walls!!
  • So very impressive. I love looking at all the great work posted here.
  • I agree. Those walls are fantastic. Looking forward to the details and scenery.....Rick