visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Shop Talk

I recently annexed a portion of my basement to set-up a new modeling shop. My goal here was to have a dedicated room just for modeling. This would allow me to stop work without having to put anything away, and just close the door...

This project was all for go and not for show. I repurposed many items and the entire construction was done by me at a minimal expense. The room measures 13' x 9' with furnace duct work running through a portion of the room. This required boxing in the area of the ceiling duct work with drywall. I wanted a long bench with two distinct work stations with supply storage that could be easily reached without leaving the bench. Good lighting was a must so I built-in recessed LED shop lights above the main work bench. In addition, a long reach task light was positioned between the two work stations so it could be rotated to either area. I like to work from stools rather than sitting down in an arm style chair. I designed the height of the bench to accommodate this at 35.5" high. In addition, I have always wanted a designated bench for the diorama work. I prefer to work up my dioramas standing up. This allows me to change position easily and view things as I need to. I constructed the diorama work bench height to allow for a standing work position at 38.5". Storage below is all my diorama supplies. This area was also illuminated by an LED shop light.

The following is an illustrated tour of the shop:

IMG_9571

View of the shop from the doorway. Note the boxed in ceiling duct work, recessed LED shop lights, 10' long bench with two separate work stations and supply shelving. Long reach task light can be rotated to either station.

IMG_9527

The brown board attached to the wall is a type of dense particle board. This allows me to put various hangers and hooks anywhere for various supplies.

IMG_9538

Diorama work area. standard countertop on the left half and I covered the right half with a ribbed rubber matt to cover the bare plywood surface.

IMG_9569

Old metal file cabinets for literature storage and other misc. storage. Type setting cabinets for castings and other supplies. These drawers can be easily pulled out and carried to the bench for sorting.

IMG_9568

SierraWest Scale Models kit stash! Every HO/HOn3 kit ever made save for the work train. If you don't see it...it's been built and the empty box is behind the stack! The one with light glare is Shelby's Marine still shrink wrapped...sweet kit!

IMG_9537

Bare wall to the right of the stash...for diorama display area...in development stages.

IMG_9566

Close up of my old Floquil and Poly Scale paint collection. The shelves were made from left over oak baseboard trim.

IMG_9534

One of the work stations with a piece of 1/4' plate glass measuring 3' 3" x 16" and Fiskar cutting mat. Note the wood piece running along the front edge...I designed this for two reasons. Firstly, I like to detail my stripwood with my wire brush on a piece of solid oak rather than on glass or formica. Secondly, it provides a lip to allow things on top of the glass to be pressed against the edge for support.

IMG_9563

Note the edge or lip created by the oak strip.

IMG_9565

Ready to grain some stripwood!...

Comments

• Excellent work space! Looks like you put a lot of thought into this and got it just right. I too love the idea of just shutting the door in my train room without having to pick up every time. That is all we end up doing is cleaning up.
    Those old drawers are priceless. My wife has a large format set that I have been eyeballing for years with zero chance of stealing.
    So many great ideas in this, it is hard to compliment them all. Well done sir.
  • This is the last time your work bench will look this clean
  • Sweet work space
    Terry
  • That’s a great work space Ken. I'm fortunate enough to have a designated workspace and it really helps to keep projects moving along. I never have to clean up and put stuff away at the end of a work session. Having a few worktop surfaces is great also for different stages of a build.

I'd like to know more about that magnifier setup you have there. What is it?

-Steve

• Great workspace Ken! Love all the areas for special tasks. Looks very roomy and tidy, at least for now. ;-)
  • Dedicated space is everything. That lip board also reduces things being accidently dragged off by your sleeve or roll off. Saves crawling on the floor to find them....Rick
  • Ken, I'm jealous. What a work area!! or should I say dream work bench. I love every aspect of it. Well thought out. I agree that every crafter should have the ability to walk away without having to put up stuff. Phil
  • Rick, you are correct at things falling on the floor, but never to be seen again. There must be something living under my workbench that absconds with the parts that fall on the floor. My sleeves are always dragging parts off the bench.
  • Wow, I'm with Phil... sooooo jealous.
  • i'm pretty jealous too.
    especially the swsm stash.
  • Right Emery, those drawers are perfect for modeling supplies. I have a drawer just for paper products as an example. They are also the perfect height to hold the white fold up boxes for organizing things in the drawers.

That's for sure Stephen!...age old problem...

Thanks Terry.

Well Steve, that piece of equipment I kind of stumbled onto and I'm actually embarrassed to mention what I paid for it. It is a binocular microscope that is one of the highest quality scopes you can get. I purchased it from a hospital years ago where I worked previously. It's a Zeiss and German optics are known as one of the finest. It was an eye operating microscope. There were actually two, this one being a teaching scope all mounted on a huge stand with fiberoptic light sources and pedal operated zoom. The working distance is ridiculous and the clarity is amazing. Picked up the entire piece for $500! Thousands of dollars worth just for the optics let alone the fiberoptics, etc...

Right Tom that was the biggest change was the dedicated work areas and not having to clean up frequently...if I don't want to!

For sure Rick...the carpet I purchased and installed myself. There was a very limited number of remnants at the carpet store as I wasn't planning on spending much. Got one for $150 BUT...it has the worst pattern for finding crap you drop on the floor!!

Thanks Phil, and as I recall you have a pretty nice set-up yourself!

You too huh Tom? I think that happens to all of us.

It is awfully nice Brett to have the space. It's a huge motivator to treat my SWSM kits so well...

Ahh...coveting thy neighbors stash! hehe
  • Ken, thats one hell of a workspace you've got there. Professional I'd say. A dedicated place for everything is what I believe in too. Love the metal drawers cabinet...

I'd like a stash of kits like yours;..in O scale.. :smiley: So, you keep the empty boxes as well... :smiley:
  • The microscope is over the top.

It looks great. I might suggest a rolling stool/chair. I find mine handy moving from one side of work area to another.
  • That's what I use as well. Since you have a long workbench..
  • I use a drafting table stool which has wheels for my workbench
  • Ken, one more thing. I found you have to have a different place to work when you are ready to work on the diorama. Doing scenery is messy work and as you mention, you need room to move around. I have a table I got from Ikea with wheels on it. That way I can move it around as I need to. Phil
  • Thanks Robert, has been on my list of things to get done for quite sometime. A few years ago I got motivated and started searching out all the previous sold out kits in Ho/HOn3 and acquired them all. It was fun tracking all of them down. Right, I keep the empty boxes and store all the templates, extra materials and the manual in them. The box art on many is so nice I hate to throw them away.

You're right of course Bryan regarding the scope, but knew it was such a good deal had to pul the trigger on it.

I have thought about the stool on wheels which would probably work fine. However, I have carpet that is very short pile so probably would roll OK. I find myself utilizing the stool by sitting out on the edge with my feet on the floor...a wheeled stool may not allow for this position comfortably...heck I should just try it and see!

Right Phil, that's why I designed my room with a completely separate work space for diorama work and at a height for standing so I can move around. I put the dio on a turntable as well.
  • Ken, There must be something in the water seems like there's a few people building new work stations. I like what your doing.... look's good.
  • I noticed that as well. So much to look forward to in 2021...Thanks for the note Craig.
  • Random, weird question Ken - why do you prefer the oak for detailing your stripwood on?

Thanks,

George
  • Appreciate the question George, It's of course a hardwood so the wire brush wont wear it down as fast, but of course any hardwood would do the same. I assume you were referring to why I use oak versus any other wood.
  • Actually, Ken, it was more if there was a particular reason for wood vs. say, a glass surface. Just curious.

George
  • Ken, If you remember my basement work bench with the roll top desk pieces is no more I moved most of it upstairs and put the roll top pieces in the burn pile. They were to wide and heavy and used something else for storing parts and now my computer is sharing the same space.
  • Ahh...the reasons are several:

The hardwood strip is fastened to the front edge of my workbench and is just about 1/8 inch higher than my 1/4 inch plate glass work surface I have. The glass then butts up against the wood strip leaving an 1/8 inch of the wood above the glass. My cutting mat laying on the glass also butts up against the wood lip keeping all concerned from moving around. This also allows things laying on the glass to butt up against the wood such as rulers, squares, walls I'm working on, etc.

The wood is not as hard on the wire brushes and the strip wood doesn't slip around as much as the wood gives some slip resistance when I'm wire brushing. I can also hold the strip wood better with my left had as the edges of the oak strip can be gripped with my fingers in addition to holding the strip wood (see picture).

If I have to drill a hole in something, the wood strip is a great backing and I just move down the strip to a different location than where I use the wire brush.

When the strip gets worn I just unscrew it and replace it with a new one.

IMG_1349

Getting a good grip on the strip wood for wire brushing.

IMG_1351

Butting up a square at the lip created by the wood strip. Glass also butted up here preventing movement.

IMG_1352

Squaring up a piece of strip wood, also note the cutting mat also butted up against the wood strip.
  • So what are you now using for a bench in the basement since moving the roll top?
  • Nothing Really..I saved the whole top of the Desk that I mounted to a stainless steel cart with wheels on it, I put all my airbrush eguipment in it and plan to use my spray booth that I have inside the desk to and hook up a vent system I can put in my basement window when in use. That's the Plan.
  • Thanks for the explanation, Ken. Quite ingenious - well thought out.

George
  • No problem George glad to offer any suggestions.
  • great idea screwing down a board to butt against. i'm going to have to look into that. my desktop has two different 'elevations', so i may only be able to do it on one side of that stupid center rib, but it seems like it will be a big help, so worth trying it out.
  • It really is handy to have that “lip” on the edge of the bench. The glass, cutting mat, squares, rulers, strip wood, etc...can all be butted up against it. I wouldn’t have the “lip” all the way across the front of my bench to allow easy clean up of just wiping stuff straight off the edge into a waste can. Mine is about 28 inches long or so.