visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

#306 RailRoad Camp - O Scale - Part One. Karl.A

13»

Comments

• Thanks very much Bryan, much appreciated.

Pffft, no room indeed. What kind of an excuse is that? Just make room..... 8~)

Karl.A
  • I love the simple uncluttered appearance, my HO scale version kept the area fairly clean so that vehicles would have no problems getting to the loading doors, unfortunately I only have a side view of the diorama. I have another kit yet to be built and will incorporate some multi level terrain.
    But ummm some of hose rafters show up a bt crooked. Thta's why I lovephotos , they highlight those litle things that aren't quite right that you miss when looking at them. Like a coffee mug right in the middle of a beautiful shot.
    cheers
    Dave
    other pictures of some of Brett's stuff I have built apppear here (among other things)
    although misnamed as I was going to only use it for scratchbuilt stuff
    http://modelrailroadscratchbuilder.wordpress.com/
  • nice bit of spelling there weird using a laptop at the moment
  • Very nice loading dock area - - details and open space for an area that is modeled as well used in the present.
    I love what you do and how you do it.
    The doors just a little a-jar implies someone just went in or out - - perfect!

Looks like you did a path to the right end of the dock. Next task are steps for the little people at that right end of the front side dock, Karl ?
    The left end has a set of 4 steps so.............
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks very much for the replies Dave and Alan.

Very nice work on your HO version Dave... got any more pics?? We'd love to see them.
    Yup. I knocked those rafters loose when I was 'planting the structure onto the diorama. Also you'll notice none of the rafters had A/I on the ends at that point.
    The rafters were strightened yesterday evening and the freshcut ends all touched up with A/I while I was working on the roof vents....

Alan, I do not plan any steps for the right side. The guys just hop up there when needed but generally they just grab the trash/boxes from the dock to 'dispose of'.

Thanks for looking.

Karl.A
  • Karl......great modeling...love it....

• Thanks Karl.
  • Karl, your work is fantastic. I look at everybodys work to see how I can make mine better and this is great fun. Thanks for all the explanitions and pictures.
    I see your picture of the plain dio base, do you have any from that point to finish????
    Or sometime can you or someone do a thread on diorama base construction?
  • Thanks for the kind words Dwaine.
    I didnt take any shots of the dio base layers for this one, but, I'll be sure and post some pictures/descriptions while I work on the next one for you, when I get to that point.

Karl.A
  • I may have to make room. Those look like they belong together
  • Thanks indeed Richard, I've been admiring your work for quite some time now.
    I hope so Bryan, looking forward to seeing it.

Karl.A
  • edited December 2011
    A few outside shots on an overcast Christmas day......

Time for this one to go sit up on the finished shelves while I work on the next one...

Karl.A
  • Terrific scene, Karl. Bryan beat me to it--all the structures have a sense that they belong together. I think the gloomy sky and softer shadows add to the realism.

So when/where can we see it in person?

What's in your "on-deck" circle?
  • Just wow!
    It looked great under artificial light. Outside it just looks real!
    Hard act to follow Karl and I will just try to do my best.
    Thanks for sharing.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks so much Bill and Alan for your comments, they are really appreciated.

Bill, the only time it 'may' go somewhere is to the expo next year, although that is essentially pointless as Brett will probably have his pilot model there. However, you are most welcome to stop by anytime and see it before then.
    I have a brain freeze and cant figure out what you are asking in your last question, you will need to elaborate.

Thanks Alan I'm really pleased with how it came out, just follow Brett's instructions, thats all I did, I look forward to admiring your build.

Karl.A
  • Amazing work karl. Nothing less than I expect. Incredible. Looking forward to the next one.
    Joel
  • Karl those structures look great together. I think that illustrates what attracts me to this type of modeling so much. The versatility of simple structures and the way they can be brought to life with details and scenery. Then the interaction between them to form a scene and tell a story... The absolute KING of this type of modeling was Brian Nolan!
  • That looks awesome YM!!!!! Nice to live in such a balmy climate!

OM
  • Again Karl great modelling.
    It was nice to see one of the pics "antigued" and used on the Sierra West Website.
    I as one would encourage you to take it to places so people could see it even if Brett had a "Sample" at the same event.
  • Just to let you know that I finished the O'Neil build following Brett's great instruction manual and your detailed build tutorial. Came out better then I expected for my first kit. Learned a lot and now beginning on the RR camp. Selected this project because of this review to go along with Brett's manual. You are a great photographer as well as a master craftsman! Keep the tutorials coming as these are a great inspiration for us less talented folks to climb the ladder to perfection.
  • Thanks Novice for posting a comment. I haven't seen this one. I miss Karl and his great modeling skill. Phil
  • Outstanding build!