visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

#306 RailRoad Camp - O Scale - Part One. Karl.A

Comments

• I've tried a different method for tarpaper but I think I'll give yours a try.
    Thanks
  • I used chalks to adjust the colouring and contrasts between the stones.

I'm now much happier with the walls and can now move forward past this stumbling block.

Shingles are always fun.

• Karl that stonework has turned out just perfect. Infact the whole build is looking great.

I always look forward to your updates.
  • Way to go, Karl! Hand cut shingles truly make a distinction between "good" and "great" models. I couldn't tell if you were being sarcastic or not ("Shingles are always fun"). I actually enjoy doing 'em...relaxing and rewarding all at the same time. I'm curious as to how you did the ridge cap--that's something I struggle with a bit.
    Are those type of shingles included in the kit?
    Are you planning on coloring them?
    Is there a lemon in that Corona?

/questions
  • edited November 2011
    Thanks Wes I really appreciate your input and support.
    Thanks for the kind words also Bill.

I actually enjoy doing individual shingles and havent been able to replicate the look any other way.

The kit actually comes with excellent lasercut shingles, unfortunately for me I cant seem to master colouring them to a way I like personally, too heavy handed or maybe set in my ways, all my builds are individual.
    Besides, individual doesnt really take too long, once you get in the flow, turn the music up and pop a C , or two.

The shingles are already coloured, the over desk lighting is washing them out in the picture.
    However, as the building is modelled in good repair and not 'old', I coloured the shingles accordingly.
    ie:Just starting to age gracefully and turning slightly grey, just like me.

No lemon and we ran out of lime so, it's crisp, cold and pure. Besides I couldnt find any lemons at the store small enough to fit down the bottleneck.

Karl.A
  • Hang on...that should be a LIME in a Corona. No self respecting Brit (or American!) would drink a Carona with a lemon!

Glad to you you're back working on this one!
  • Love the shingling, the natural variation in color and size are the perfect companion to the way you colored and weathered the stonework! If I had bigger ***** I would do a kit with an individually shingled roof of this size but I think many customers would hesitate over it. The laser shingles on the pilot model (Karl constructed by the way) look awesome and if someone wants to do individual shingles they can!
  • Brett ,

It is part of your job as a manufacturer to educate your customers as to how they should be building their kits to get the best possible results . If sticking shingles on individually is the way to do that then that is what you should be telling them . If this is too much trouble for them then you can also sell them a nice roll of Campbells shingles !

So how big are your ***** ?

MM ( formerly Middle Minion , now changed to Mischievous Minion ! )
  • I am not sure I totally agree with Minion. Fine Scale Miniatures went this route and where is he in the marketplace ?
    It is my job as the modeler to take the kit, add my skills, add things learned from my betters and try to produce a finished product that looks better than the kit box-top.
  • edited November 2011
    Very well said Alan, couldn't agree more.

Karl.A
  • Got the structure components epoxied together and the roofs glued on.

Next up will be dirt and details on the diorama base.

Karl.A
  • Awesome as usual. I will try to do as well. Thanks for the inspiration.
  • Thanks Alan I really appreciate your kind comments.

Planning placement of a few of the deatails on the dock area, nothing glued, just staring and adjusting.

Karl.A
  • Looking good, Karl. Nice collection of castings. The scale to the left of the door is one that I hadn't noticed before.
  • placement is all about "pathways"
    where would normal traffic flow direction be ?
    to steps...to doors... to boxcar and or truck ?
  • Indeed Alan, you are absolutely right, detail placement needs to be logical, random, and, pleasing to look at.

I had planned in all the logical 'pathways' as I positioned the details, it just wasnt so visible in the previous shot.

Here is an over head view to show my line of thinking more clearly.

Karl.A
  • good-o
    i do feel you do it right
  • The color of the building looks great in that outdoors shot.
  • Thanks for the kind words Alan and Bryan.

Finally a day off work today so.... I cleared the desk, finished glueing down the dock details and prepped the dio base.

Time for a funfilled afternoon of dirt, details and debauchery.... well, dirt and details anyway.

Karl.A
  • The last pic sure does make your model look great.
  • Thanks so much Alan I appreciate it.

I've made some progress with the scenery base layers and started adding in a few more of the details...

Karl.A
  • that looks awesome!!!!
  • Karl it is real enough to believe I can walk into it.
    You are bang on again.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks so much Brett and Alan, very encouraging.
    I found and installed the missing doors.

Next will be the truck loading door area.

Time for work...

Karl.A
  • That side shot of the shed with all the clutter is my favorite. So much to see. Very natural and well composed. Glad you located those doors!
    Does that one green bottle on the bench stand out a bit? That's pretty nit-picky, but it caught my eye and thought I'd mention it.
  • I agree Bill that the green bottle is "an eye-catcher". I think it works to draw you into the scene and it is tied to the case of green bottles near the front of the dock. Just my opinion....
  • I like all of the weeds and junk that is accumulating under the dock. Like the cinder block bench too. Nice variety on the door handles...gives extra interest to the doors. I'm going to give you back a suggestion you gave me once. Vary the colors of individual crates in the stacks at the front of the dock.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the replies and the inputs gents, much apreciated.
    Yep, the green bottle does stand out a bit too much even though it ties into the nearby crate of bottle. I plan to tone it down a little with some chalk when I fix the lunch box that is next to it.
    The crates do look a little too uniform in the pics Bryan although in person there is variations between them. I will try to accentuate these tonal differences when I get to the final touch-ups on the build.

Thanks again.

Karl.A
  • edited December 2011
    I had a little trouble deciding what to do here.....

I decided to just keep it fairly simple and came up with this.... essentially the layout in the manual, a little more scenery and a few less details.

Next will be roof vents, chimney, final details and touch ups..

Karl.A
  • Fantastic! Love the side loading area.

Dang you Karl. You're making me want to get this kit...I don't have room for it.