visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

HO Morton's Brass & Iron Foundry Build

Comments

• Tom, thanks for the suggestions. I find myself often sitting and staring at a build thinking there are many options and the mind is just blank. I'm not one of the more creative types. That's why I like to hear what other people see that I don't.....Rick
  • Also thought that a fork lift might be appropriate.
  • Great suggestions Tom. Have to be very careful with forklifts since they weren't common until mid 20's at best. Need to research your geographic locale. I have never seen an early forklift in either HO or O so gonna have to investigate that... Might be a cool detail make!
  • I thought I was closer to finishing this diorama. However, there are so many details that are in this kit. I realized I was on page 97 of 123. All those extra pages are dedicated to the plethora of details to create the very cluttered, but wonderful mini-scenes. Here is just a small sample I have ready to install. That is a toothpick in back for reference to all my non-modeling friends who like to follow also.

IMG_1077

So much more to do yet....Rick
  • Its all in the details!...nice start there Rick...
  • Looking great Rick, the saw horse and pallets are beautifully built.
  • Thanks guys. I scratched the saw horse and pallets. They are simple to make and I think worth the effort. I do have some of the other details started, but not ready for prime time yet. Still a long way to go for sure.....Rick
  • Very nice Rick. Phil
  • Extra pallets are always a good idea. I'm impressed with the sawhorse. I have trouble with them in O.
  • Great shot - and the details look awesome too!
  • Great work on the details! Looking forward to seeing how the others turn out.
  • Bryan mentioned difficulty building sawhorses. Here is how I found to be the easiest method for me. Prepare the 2 ends and the cross piece including weathering. Your choice which way the legs face. Mine are 2X4's with 1X3 braces.

IMG_1078

The difficult part is the assembly. I use double sided carpet tape. Very sticky to hold the cross piece on edge. I then position the ends where and at what angle I desire. The tape holds everything in place until you glue it. In the photo, the legs are not glued to the cross piece yet.

IMG_1080

All that is left is a touch of glue underneath where it won't be seen once the sawhorse is upright.....Rick
  • That's a handy tip
  • Great tip Rick, I'll be using that soon.
  • brownbr said:

Extra pallets are always a good idea. I'm impressed with the sawhorse. I have trouble with them in O.

me too
  • I can't believe how long it is taking me to get the detailing on this kit. Here is the one scene I just finally called complete. My porch roof is higher than designed to accommodate the lighting.

IMG_1158
    IMG_1157

So much more yet to do.

Suggestions and criticisms welcome. Always looking to do better.....Rick
  • Looks great
  • Rick, love the super duper detail and the lighting. Great job. Congratulations. Phil
  • Love it, such a moody pic. Excellent!
  • I finally was able to get back to this diorama and complete it. Here is the finished product.

IMG_1592
    IMG_1593
    IMG_1594
    IMG_1595
    IMG_1596
    IMG_1597
  • edited August 2021
    Rick,

Very nice work. I love the lighting you added. It really adds a lot. Your detail work and colors are spot on. Congratulations!! Phil
  • This is a great piece of work Rick. The lighting sure ads a great deal to the project and your use of the details are fantastic.
  • Outstanding, such warm and realistic modeling. Love it!
  • Wow Rick, that is really something to be proud of. Excellent work. I love the lighting too.
  • Rick, I also love the lighting and your work!. Maybe someday I will try to add lighting..great work!!
  • Simply fantastic. The lightning as well. Great , natural looking scenes all over the diorama. Lots of clutter all over the place, but in a very believable way.. Very nice work Rick.
  • Like Robert said, everything is believable. Very nicely done.

George
  • Top shelf work Rick! Your detail work is wonderful, so mush to go over. I see you swapped doors on the Pattern Shop and Repair Shop...didn't think anyone would notice...Lol. Love that roll up garage style door Brett came up with! Lighting adds a whole different dimension...well done.
  • Outstanding work!