visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

HO Morton's Brass & Iron Foundry Build

Comments

• Looks great.
  • Great job! Coming along nicely, Like the personalizations you have made.
  • Great work. The lighting adds so much. Great interior.
  • Very nice work. I love the lighting. Keep up the good work. Phil
  • Rick,

As others have stated you've done an amazing job. I can only guess as to
    How difficult it was to do the broken windows in ho scale.

Very envious of your build.
  • i love it.
    i don't have the guts to try and light o'neill's. that ship has sailed....
  • Splendid work Rick...lighting is terrific...well done.
  • The details are simply amazing!
  • It has been several weeks since my last post. Life got in the way, but I am trying to get back to the bench more frequently. I finally started the main foundry building. Getting all that stone work is tedious, but I think worth the effort. Here are the two smallest stone walls to illustrate what Brett is guiding us to achieve.

The first is with only the AI application over the khaki base coat. I did 2 applications to get a good deep stain into the cracks.

IMG_0872

This is after using chalk to "paint" the stones. I used my finger to wipe the stones after the application to pull some of the chalk off the high spots. That lowers the intesity of the color. The high spots become highlighted similar to dry brushing.

IMG_0871-1

The camera shows the colors a bit more intense than they do to the naked eye.
  • Great job Rick!
  • Nice subtile variation in tones. The lintel looks awfully bright...just light reflection in the picture?
  • Nice work. I'm sure the individual stones are quite small.
  • I like the wall. The technique is good and it appears to be easy to do. Right? Phil
  • Your stone wall turned out very nice! Good color variation and subtlety.
  • Thanks guys. Just a lot of walls yet to go. Ken, it is light glare on the lintel. It is actually light grey chalk. Phil, the technique is actually very easy, just tedious. I found the rubbing with the finger brought out the highlights which made it look like stone, not paint.

That wall is not quite ready for prime time yet, but I wanted to post something to push myself to get going again....Rick
  • Progress, although slow, is still progress. I finally have the stone walls of the foundry ready for assembly. I do see a small touchup here and there. The concrete headers show to bright in the photos, but are perfect to the eye.

IMG_0903
    IMG_0904
    IMG_0905
    IMG_0906
    IMG_0907

• Great colors on the stonework !!!
  • Good job on a large area of stonework
  • Stonework turned out great! If I may make a suggestion you may want to add some scuff marks to the sliding door to simulate rubbing against the wall.
  • 17th stone down from the northeast corner of the west side needs paint.---carl laskey

your stone work looks really great. pay carl no mind.....
  • Thanks everyone. Tom, I agree some scrape marks on the freight door will help.
    These photos lets you scrutinize every little detail. Yes, there is room for improvement, but I doubt anyone would notice when in the final diorama. I am my own worst critic. Yes, I will do little touchups. Upward and onward.....Rick
  • Excellent job on the walls Rick. Your diorama is going to be a real gem! (What is this 1955?) Oh well, you should be super happy with your efforts thus far and I am looking forward to seeing it all develop and come together.
  • I am making some progress on the foundry building. This sand bay corner is ready for later when the building gets put on the base when we add the corner support beam, sand, board holding up the door, etc. Lighting yet to come. On to the workroom and office.....Rick
    IMG_0912
  • Looking Good!
  • Great rock work!! Man that looks real.
  • Just great Rick.

If it was mine, I would try to get rid of that vertical seam on the corner. It's the first thing that caught my eye..
    Colors are very natural..
  • Color on the walls looks great. nice looking sand bay details.
  • Thanks everyone. Robert, the vertical seam is on all four corners. It bothers me too, but not sure how to minimize it. I am not modeling an area where I can use vines. Anyone have an idea how to blend/fill the seam so it is not so obvious?...Rick
  • Rick, I've noticed that in one of the other kits, there is a similar stone building and there the stones from the wall interlock on the corners. The castings are made that way.

Here the walls are cast without that interlocking, so to get rid of that you could use milliput , a two part epoxy modeling paste and fill in every second seem.

Here's a youtube tutorial on that.

The other seams you would have to re-carve a little so they don't look so straight. Than touch up the color.

In that sort of wall constructions, there is always a longer stone that goes into the one wall, then one into the other and so on. This binds the two walls together.