visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

O scale dolbeer forum build.

Comments

• I vote for the jib. Really like the look. Looks like the mast in this pic is only 25' ish and the arm around 40' ish. Could make it hand crank or use the other Dolbeer for some extra HP on the winch if you like.
  • edited June 2020
    The below photo shows the current status of this project,excluding the water tank (i just realized that didn't make it into the photo). As you can see, the sled for the dolbeer is pretty much complete. The mechanisms are assembled; however, nothing is glued down yet. i'll plumb the boiler in the next couple days and then glue it to the sled.

The decision as to how much equipment should remain on the sled will need to be made.

IMG_4922

In the bottom right of the photo, you'll see what is the beginning of the frame for the jib crane. the circular part has been machined to mate to the rectangular base. The base piece is .25" thick and is .5" wide and 1.5" long, which i think would be somewhat representative of O scale? The base ring has been machined to work with 1/2" wood. when i start the mast, i'll drill out the base of the mast and that brass piece will get epoxied in place.
  • One of my favourite CHB kits. Looking forward to seeing how this scene with the crane comes together.
  • Paying attention as I have hopes to something similar....Looking really good!
  • Hey everyone....

I'd like input from the group.. The top Brass piece has the beginnings of the rigging for the boom as well as the support lines.. I got in a bit of a rush this evening and epoxied the top brass piece in place. Now, i am somewhat wondering if i should have not epoxied this and let it articulate independent of the mast (there is a shaft at the bottom of the exposed piece that fits into a pocket in the center of the mast)? from the reference photo, i don't think they were rotating that mast much at all?

In order to re-do the top brass piece i will wind up destroying this mast and need to fab another one.. This isn't a huge deal. But, re-work none the less.

So, do you think it would be worth it to have the top piece move independent of the mast?

Or, just leave it well enough alone?

IMG_4938 (1) (2)
  • Alex, the thing to remember is this is your diorama. What is it you want? Is it important for the jib to move?

Otherwise, I love what you have done. You have definitely gone way beyond the woodcutters shack diorama suggested in the kit. This is truly looking really good.
    ....Rick
  • I like it and it will look very nice once its rigged out. The base and cap are probably sturdier than I had imagined but I agree with Rick that it should have the look you want.
  • I thought about what Rick said and i decided to leave the mast well enough alone.. Over the years we all learn the lard lesson of hind sight... It will work fine and trying to re-do the mast will inevitably cause more pain and grief than it's worth...

With that being said, here is the current state of the crane. i didnt realize until i was going through these photos that the crane car i built is in one of them.

I am waiting on some rigging blocks, then i can finish the rigging of the crane. However, now that this portion is on a pause, i'll switch back over to the Dolbeer.

For anyone that is thinking about starting a dolbeer kit. i highly recommend using a baking tin with some paper towel down. I wish i had though of that when i built the first one.

Once i get the rigging done and am ready to place the crane i will weather the brass, most likely with "mud and dirt" maybe a little rust.

IMG_4962
    IMG_4960
    IMG_4964
    IMG_4961
  • This is looking really great. I like the crane car in the second picture. Very unique. Keep on keeping on.....Rick
  • The brass work is outstanding as is the color of the mast
  • I did a little bit on the Dolbeer this evening. This is how it currently sits.. I'm going to look for a couple reference photos. initially i thought there would be a decent amount of wood debris on the deck ect. However, from a quick search on my phone i didnt see any with debris on the decks. I'll look some more. I did put some "oil" on the gears and below where the piston assembly would be. in a working environment these components would be oiled regularly to ensure smooth operation.

Any and all input is always welcome.

IMG_5059

Also, the jib crane is going to undergo a significant change.. once i have something worth sharing i'll post some photos.
  • Alex, You have made the resin wood pieces have a very believable color. Will you be using cable or rope on your donkey?
  • Mike,

I havent even thought of that yet. I've been rebuilding the crane.

That will be something to "think on" i have materials for both options.
  • Here is the new crane...

Please let me know what you think. Or, if you have any ideas of something that should be changed?

IMG_5081
    IMG_5082
    IMG_5083
    IMG_5085
    IMG_5084
  • beautiful job!
  • That's a fine solution. It really looks like it belongs in the backwoods.
  • Excellent weathering! The tautness of the ropes and the knotting put this over the top! You’re setting the bar pretty high. Thanks for letting us watch.
  • Awesome. Very nice.

Geezerbill
  • Fantastic job !
  • Very nice. Phil
  • Here are some updates from over the weekend.

IMG_5137
    IMG_5139
    IMG_5141
    IMG_5143
  • I can't believe this is even O scale! Take a bow Alex....Rick
  • That crane looks great. I envision making one some day. Where did you source all of the pulleys, winch, etc. ??
  • Superb! Really came together so nicely.
  • Emery,

I got them from the link below. I had extra's and was able to use them around my shed.

https://www.sierrawestscalemodels.com/chb-details.html
  • LOL. I am just dumb. I kept looking in the O scale SETS, and not the detail parts. I should have known Brett would have something. Thanks Alex!!!
  • Emery,

No worries. The crane was scratch built with all of the chb rigging.

This what i used for the rigging configuration. then i also copied some from the initial jib crane photos earlier in this thread. Hope it helps you with your project.

https://forestry.mosaictraining.ca/logging_diagrams.html
  • Very Nice! Love all the detail and texture.
  • Love the spar pole and rigging. Nicely done. Phil
  • Great work Alex. In every way.