visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

O scale dolbeer forum build.

Hey everyone,

I'm going to build another Dolbeer and this time around i thought i would make this a forum build. Here is my last Dolbeer; http://www.craftsmankituniversity.com/vanforum/index.php?p=/discussion/1068/o-scale-dolbeer#latest

To me a forum build means forum members will help guide the build. You guys make recommendations and that's the way the build goes. However, in order to make recommendations there needs to be a stated goal. I was not planning to complete this build. This Dolbeer will go somewhere around the work shed in the below photo and either be under repair or conversation or something in between?

Maybe someone will have an idea i hadn't thought of.

IMG_4766

For anyone who has built the HO scale Donkey repair, you will recognize the next photos. This is kind of what i kind of had in mind.

IMG_4833
IMG_4832

Below is the current state of the forum build. I did not paint the boiler casting with black as i was going to do the top coat with water based black and then "wear" it away to expose the rust below... (i don't know how much weathering to do on this one)

IMG_4827

So, with that being said, my current thought is to have the skids Fully assembled, and the boiler mounted and somewhere between 50-80% assembled the blow down vales ect installed. But, maybe not the steam valve assembly, that may be laying on the skids? Any extra parts will be strewn about similar to the donkey repair.. The less assembled the more parts to scatter about.

Any and all input is more than welcome.

Comments

• An interesting idea. What would you think about having a homemade wood A frame hoist nearby? Goes along with the story.
  • Can't wait to watch this develop. Definitely need a hoist.
  • Bryan, i'm pretty sure i would have space in that area.

I could do one somewhat over the dolbeer. Maybe removing the steam piston assembly from the boiler?

Maybe something like the photo below? a smaller hand powered hoist? this would easily fit in the area available. If anyone has a different idea, please share a photo. Or, even a photo of a hand drawn sketch.

IMG_4840

• I love that hoist, would be perfect in your diorama. Very similar to the jib crane I include in the HO Scale Donkey Repair Yard.
  • Really looking forward to this as I have plans to add a boiler and donkey repair facility for my diorama that I should be working on. I know there's plans for one from SW....but I want to add it to this current diorama. I like the jib crane idea.....
  • I like the homemade jib in the picture above. Better than what I was thinking. My initial though was A frame that had been thrown together. Something like what Rick did on the boiler shop, but with an ad hoc feel.
  • I did want to note.. in the first photo below. i drilled out the top of that part of the casting. As delivered that is flat to have the ash guard mounted to it. However, since this Dolbeer has an intended purpose which is to not be fully built, i thought i would add this detail.

Below is the progress as of today. Tomorrow i can dry fit the boiler and start weathering the skids..

IMG_4824
    IMG_4853
    IMG_4855
    IMG_4854 (1)

Does the group think this dolbeer should be more weathered than the one below, or not?
    IMG_4828
  • Dang that looks great.

Rick
  • I second that
  • Ok,

This is where we're at. All of the items on the skids are just set in place. The water tank looks like it's all black in the photos. But, the front wood portion is actually khaki (the boiler is casting a shadow on it.

Also, on the last photo i tried something a little different. i sprayed black, then while the black was still wet i sprayed automotive primer, that is what is giving it that texture. Then, after that i followed everything up with testors matte clear... I figured the extra texture would help with the weathering..?

IMG_4860
    IMG_4861
    IMG_4862
  • The extra texture would likely help if weathering with chalks. Not so much if weathering with enamels or oils. Don't think it would matter with acrylics.

I like the level of weathering on your first one. I certainly don't think it would be a rusty mess being repaired in the woods...that look would be for a donkey left to die. I've always been a fan of the white streaks that run down boilers. Though I have never been able to create them very well.

The photo below is the kind of weathering that I would like to be able to do on a donkey. It looks to be a Washington road engine which CHB produced at one point (ahem). Interesting home made hoist in the pic as well.

ADB32778-CA46-4B38-9330-2939CC68EA46
  • edited June 2020
    Bryan,

Something somewhat like this? The first two photos are of Karls boiler for his mill engine and boiler house. The second and third photo are my attempts to follow his work. I could try more streaking. As long as i dont lock it in place with lacquer we can adjust and recommended.

I wonder if that would be oxide rust, or oil/fule/dirt/rust? Is that a fuel oil drum?
    2010712154424_boiler06
    2010712154449_boiler07
    AWDLV5JOSNIP
    SEXHPV5FJZS1

• AlexR said:

Ok,

This is where we're at. All of the items on the skids are just set in place. The water tank looks like it's all black in the photos. But, the front wood portion is actually khaki (the boiler is casting a shadow on it.

Also, on the last photo i tried something a little different. i sprayed black, then while the black was still wet i sprayed automotive primer, that is what is giving it that texture. Then, after that i followed everything up with testors matte clear... I figured the extra texture would help with the weathering..?

IMG_4860
    IMG_4861
    IMG_4862

Are the cross members and bolts supposed to line up?
  • Not all of them, the ones that are supposed to - line up perfectly...
  • Really nice
  • What I like the most is your willingness to experiment. That's how new techniques are born. I like what I see so far. Want to see where you go from here.

Rick
  • Rick,

Thanks.

If you have any idea's or recommendations. Please feel free.
  • Yes Alex. That's the look i was thinking. When you look at those streaks on black tanks they are usually more defined. That's the part I have trouble with. Making them look like defined streaks without making them look like they were painted streaks.
  • To my eye the boiler look almost new. It's shiny and little rust/weathering. If the boiler is being rebuilt it would have been used and shown wear and use. I think the horizontal boiler shows the use and wear I'm thinking about. I agree with Bryan that it wouldn't be dilapidated and run down if it were being rebuilt.
  • I've followed the feedback from Bryan and Tom to the best of my ability. Does the group think the boiler needs a bit more weathering after i get the valves and piping are attached?

Please let me know what you think. good or bad; as long as it's honest.

IMG_4875
    IMG_4876
    IMG_4874
    IMG_4873
  • For me the question is this on the front end of the refurb where it is being taken apart or when it is being put back together? It would show more weathering in the front end that would be cleaned up during the rebuld.
  • I got a couple valves put on this evening. i used .010 or. 25mm fishing line for the site glass. I borrowed this idea from Robert.

IMG_4880
    IMG_4878
  • Alex.
    I never built one and it looks like you bare doing a fine job.
  • Like the details you added. I like the light color streaking you have applied. I would think on a used boiler there would be a little more rust. I like where you're headed.
  • thinking it looks right for a re-build
  • Hey everyone,

I will work on the Dolbeer a bit more this up coming week. Right now i think i will put all the plumbing in place and then stop. The decision will need to be made as to what to do with the piston assembly. as well as the components on the skid. I have most of that stuff assembled in sections; but, nothing is glued down. Would it be weird for the rope spool to have been taken off for service?

I'll try to find some reference photos for Dolbeers under repair.

As this have become a 2 part forum build, i thought i would ask the group about the placement for the crane? I put my finished Dolbeer on the diorama for perspective ect. I've also labeled 2 possible options that i saw. if you like one or the other, please note which one you like. Or, if you have a different option, please feel free to download the below image and label your preferred location. With location 2, if i want to tie the top post to a tree there are 2 trees behind the post, as can kind of be seen from the ground hog holes :smiley:. With Option 2, i think i would need to do some stakes or something? as there is only 1 tree stump that is viable. I do have an extra tree stump that i could "strategically" place.

Or, should the dolbeer be moved and the crane put where the dolbeer is? Also, does anyone have any ideas as to height in real inches? i was thinking somewhere between 8-12" tall. Or, Should we do a huge one like in the HO scale Donkey repair?

Any and all input is welcome.

IMG_4901

• For placement of the crane I'd want to know if you have decided on which type of crane you are using for sure.

If you are thinking of the jib that you posted earlier, it could easily go in either spot. You could make it as if they used a tree as the mast...like a mini spar tree. Something about 12" diameter and 30'-40' tall would work. This would look very natural in your setting.

If you go with something constructed from timber, then I'd go for spot 1 if you want to keep the deadfall area in spot 2.

I think you are on the right path by placing the main components and taking photos. Move around and take some more photos. Gives you a chance to think about it a lot.
  • I really like the look of the paint....that it was brushed on. In my opinion, too many strive for the perfect airbrushed paint job. Back in the day....paint almost always went on with a brush......now get "scale" brush marks is beyond my pay grade.....I like the look so far...
  • i have no opinion on the placement, i just want to tell you that this diorama is looking awesome!
  • Bryan, i think I'd vote we go with the Jib Crane (does anyone else want to vote?). i zoomed in on the frame structure and i should be able to replicate it to a decent degree.

pf023546
    IMG_4917

Thanks Kevin!