visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

#308 SierraWest O scale Sawmill Project ..... Karl.A

edited July 2021 in O Scale Builds
With the imminent release of the O Scale Sawmill I figured now would be a good time to do some of the ground work in preparation for it's arrival.

So, here's the machinery I will be building to install into the mill when the time arrives.
Starting with an overall shot of most of the packages that the machinery arrives in.

As with all of Brett's castings the parts are incredibly clean and crisp. The intricacy and accuracy of these components is just unbelievable with a level of detail in even the tiniest pieces that blows me away every time I see them.

I haven't really done anything like this before so it should be a really fun learning experience for me.......

Onward...

Feel free to join in if you have a set waiting to be built.

Karl.A

Comments

• I can hear the saw a ripping through the wood now!!!!!! Should be real interesting to see how you do these.
    Hell I might even join you!!!!

Jerry
  • Thanks Jerry good to have you along. Join on in!

I opened a few of the packages and spent some time blackening the pieces.
    This was followed by dips into two containers of water with toothbrush scrubs after each.

The next step is to start polishing some of the pieces to show wear and activity.

As you can see, lots and lots of pieces as I'm sure Joe Morgan can attest to after his recent completion of these machines, in darned fine style I might add.

Karl.A
  • Hi Karl: Looking forward to seeing your work on these great pieces of machinery. I enjoyed building them and learned a lot along the way. I love your comment about the imminent release of the sawmill....Joe H. in Morgan Hill, CA CCCModOn30
  • Thanks Joe. I'm starting off with the main double husk saw.

Karl.A
  • Karl I'm in the process of ordering the wood. As soon as I get it I'll be with you.

What color stain did you use?

On the above glad your at the helm of the ship!!!!! I'll remember to check before moving on.

Jerry
  • Thanks Jerry, I look forward to you (and anyone else) joining in.

Colour is Rembrandt 408.3 washed in with alcohol then lightly wiped off while wet with a clean cloth. This makes the grain pop a little more.

Karl.A
  • Hey Karl

Great start buddy. Love the wood colouring.
  • Wow! So much more detail in the O-scale version!
    Seeing the little dogs for the log carriage is giving me a flashback. Even in O-scale they're still pretty tiny!

Looking good, Karl. Are you loving it?
  • Thanks Wes and Bill, yep Bill it's a great set of kits, enjoying it ALOT.

I spent a few days away working on 'other' projects but got back to the machinery this evening.

Not much left to do but a few details, the second belt and the blades. Touch up and weathering of course.

Karl.A
  • Well I got the saw finished up except that the blades aren't glued on yet. I want some access to the inside of the saw to place some sawdust before I install it into the mill.

Now to decide which one of these great pieces to build next.....

Karl.A
  • Excellent job. Real sweet!!!!

Jerry
  • Amazing castings and modeling. Everytime I see your modeling it is definitely something to aspire too. Keep it coming!

How is the sawmill coming along? Is there alot of CHB details that Brett has stored away to produce yet?

Jim Richards
  • Incredible!
    What's the belt material made of? Nice job keeping the slack out of them.

And what is this piece?

• edited September 2013
    Thanks very much for the kind posts, Jerry, Jim and Bill.

Jim, what is even more amazing about the castings is that that is the way they came out of the packet from Brett, no clean up required whatsoever, perfect quality.
    The Sawmill is really coming along well, lots of great progress has been made. I'll leave it up to Brett to post specifics when the time is right.

Bill, I can never remember the name of the stuff, I'll look it up and let you know tomorrow.
    The circled piece is called the 'slitter'. It is a small disk mounted on the end of a short shaft. The disk (should be) lined up perfectly with the blade. Mine needs to be dulled down somewhat, too shiney.

From what I can understand, as the log travels through the saw (from left to right) the slitter goes between the log and the plank being cut. This will keep the cut open as the log continues to travel and be cut, thus preventing the blade getting 'sandwiched' tight and binding up.

Hopefully that made sense, I can post a better pic if you want one..

Karl.A

• Onwards with the "Log Carriage"

A great little kit and a lot of fun. Still a few more pieces to add when I attach a log, and the weathering of course.

Karl.A
  • I started working on the live rolls and dead rolls this afternoon, quite good progress so far.

Karl.A
  • Very nice work and detail to those metal parts.

Jerry
  • Thanks Jerry, good to have your support.

Live and dead rolls pretty much done, I need to add the friction drive wheel to the live rolls but that can wait until I install it into the mill floor to ensure it all lines up correctly.

Aside from that all that remains is weathering, I will do this for all machines at the same time prior to installation.

Karl.A
  • Hi Karl

Another beautiful update. I cant wait to see all the kits together in the final sawmill diorama.
  • Wow! The machinery will look awesome in the sawmill (BTW awesome build on the water tank and fuel tank).
    Jim
  • Thanks very much Wes and Jim, great to read your comments. Gotta decide which one to do next now....

Karl.A
  • The quality of these kits and your build are breathtaking! Absolutely stunning!
  • And as always thanks for posting assembly photos - helps to see how the masters do it!
  • Thanks for the kind remarks James, really appreciated.

Next I decided to build the "log Carriage Drive". This is basically a winch system that drives the log carriage via a cable attached underneath.

The drive is powered by a shaft that exits beneath the main saw.

Karl.A
  • Nice one Karl.

Jerry
  • Thanks Jerry, figured I'd do a smaller one for a quick breather.....

Now the edger next I think.

Karl.A

• The Edger.

Blackened and buffed.

Karl.A
  • Oh my God!! He's alive!!!
    Nice start on that edger Karl.

Jerry
  • Nicely done. What an amazing set of castings. BTW what sort of glue are you using?