visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Shipyard

edited July 2011 in HO Scale Builds
Well I've decided to join the 20th century and start posting some of my builds. This Summer I'm trying to piece together a waterfront scene using Shelby's, Foss ansd the shipyard. I decded to detail the doors a bit more by adding wood grain and then "painting" with the same chalk as the siding. I'm very pleased with how it is progressing.

Comments

• Thanks for posting your build. What an awesome model... You know I love the individual shingles... lots of time but very well worth it!!! Looking forward to seeing your progression with the waterfront scene as I am sure our fellow forum members are too.
  • edited July 2011

Great work Joel !
    Awesome to see another shipyard in progress, and done so well. The shingles really look good, as does the siding colour and texture.

I'm really excited to see how you are integrating all these kits together. Judging by these first pics its going to look superb and I look forward to seeing it, both in progress and completed.

Karl.A

• Well I finished "planting" the ship. I left off a couple of ribs and plan to create a scene with the workmen lifting one into place. I placed some of the supportting elements arount it to see what it looks like. Nothing is secured except the seawall the scenery and the ship under construction. The last picture is a good sketch of what this side of the diorama will look like. Note the trestle for Shelby's in the back. The green of the algae on the seawall is off but I'm working on it.
  • Anything further on this build - also. please fix the pic so we can see them - thx
  • edited September 2011
    Just got back from holiday and I'll get back to building. Unfortunately I decided to add lights so it may go slow. I'll try and resend the above pictures and see if it works this time.imageimageimageimage
  • WOW
    This is stunning modeling Joel.
  • Thanks. All I see are red "X"s on my computer so I hope some of the pictures are clear.
    I'm just about done the trestle and the interior of Shelby's so hopefully I'll have more pictures (or red "X"s) soon.
  • Not sure about the red 'x''s Joel, but everything looks superb from here....

Maybe the problem is with the file size, it would be appreciated if members could keep the image sizes below 200k. Instead of the larger 2mb file size, this benefits all of us.

This may be where you are experiencing problems viewing the pics due to the download time, (ie your connection 'timing-out')......Other members may also have the same problem.

Modeling this good deserves to be seen by everyone and enjoyed.

Great work.

Karl.A
  • Joel-
    I've had the "red x" problem in the past--everyone could see the pictures except me. In my case, it was an issue with Internet Explorer. To fix, try to click on the "compatibility view" button. It's to the right of the address window and looks like this:

Can't promise it'll fix your issue, but it worked for me.

BTW, fantastic modeling! The weathering on the Foss Tugs & Barges building is awesome. Shingles are great as is your rock work. Looking forward to more...
  • edited September 2011
    OK I've been busy finishing the trestle. I started the interior of Shelby's and realized it is so detailed it needs lights so I've been building tiny little lamps to hang. Here they are installed.
    Also started doing the roof. the picture here shows my new peeling paint effect on the siding using "White-out".imageimage
  • edited September 2011
    OK did some work on the boat repair area. I want it complete before I add the building.
    I think the hoist shed needs a light to show off the detail. This is getting a bit crazy.imageimage
  • edited September 2011
    today was different. I painted about 70 seagulls and finished detailing the boats. I poured the first two layers of envirotex but I'm trying something new I learned at CSS last year. Modge Podge. Never tried it but here goes. lots of little bubbles. I hope they fade as it dries. I also started sketching in the dock details as once the boat is in it will be hard to reach. The buoy is a piece of Lego I rusted up.imageimageimage
  • I cannot wait to see this in Peabody... what an awesome diorama!
  • edited September 2011
    It's time to start seeing how it will all shape up. I love this part. The buildings, details and lights are not done but I'm impatient and need to plan for my trees so I can work out the junk/detail placement. I placed all the buildings where they go (nothing except the docks and one boat are glued down). I placed what I hope are some appropriate trees for a relatively quite east coast cove. I think you can see it start to come together now. Now to finish the trees/buildings/details....that's whole other thing.imageimage
  • Joel- Fabulous work so far! Can you elaborate on your "white-out" method of peeling paint? It looks great. Mike
  • I'm glad you like it Mike. I'm surprised at the lack of traffic but maybe everyone is "over - trained" from the Narrow Gauge Convention.
    The "Peeling Paint" is the easiest thing I've ever thought of. It is simple and totally reversable (my favourite part). First eather and detail the wall, then I use Staples brand correction tape (a small plastic gizmo with a roll of extremely thin white tape) and roll it over the wall. Some places don"t stick and I have to go over it a few times. Then I burnish it on with a soft pencil (covering the wall with parchment "nonstick" paper or the rub on decal backing paper). The just gently drag a wire brush over the wall and it peels up the "paint". depending on how weathered you can put a bit of pressure on it or repeat the step. You can go back and add a bit more tape if you take off too much and you can add some fine detail with a hobby knife or needle in the areas that seem to need it. You can do this for days or even weeks. lastly I coat with a very light alcohol and umber wash to kill the sheen and spray with fixative. Ta duh.
    It sounds a bit complex but try it it is very easy.
  • The diorama is looking fantastic Joel !! Everything extremely well done. I can see myself refering back to these pictures as I continue with the O Scale version.

Maybe the lack of traffic is due to the size of the files you are posting, even on my 18mbps connection page 1 takes forever to load and I have given up several times.

Keeping your picture files around 150k instead of 1mb will enable everyone to enjoy your work and hopefully comment.

Thanks also for the peeling paint process, neat idea !!

Karl.
  • Thanks Karl. I'll try to get the webmaster to resize the photos. I changed the setting on my camera to the smallest size but that is still 700-900mb. I'll see if any of my software can do it moving forward.
  • Another good day's work. I finished planting Shelby's. I still have to finish the roof a bit but the balcony and stairs are done. Also I'm using smaller pictures as asked. Hopefully it works better for all. Still the fence and trees to add but now I have two buildings done ( of the four ).imageimageimage
  • I love that really run down look that youve created on Shelbys Joel.
  • Thanks Wes. I worked yesterday to all but finish up the bait house and dock area. The "rope" handrails took hours but I'm happy with the effect. Just a few finishing touches and I'm off to finish up the Shipyard, which afterall is the title of this build.
    Not sure if I'll finish in two weeks for peabody but it will be close.
    imageimageimage
  • don't sleep - don't eat - finish said diorma....

looking awesome Joel, really love the rope handrails... diorama is just brimming with detail and action...

Brett
  • That's the plan. So far I'm on schedule. Not sure if I'll get all the detailing done but so far so good.
  • Magnificent Joel !! The blending of sceney and stuctures in you pictures is superb, I'll be revisiting this latest update tomorrow for even more looks than I did tonight.

Karl.A
  • Joe,

Just an excellent diorama. Great detailing. The weathering on the buildings right on.

Jerry
  • edited October 2011
    As promised hard at work on the Shipyard portion of the diorama. Installed the lights and added all the roof vents in preparation for planting. Also pre detailed the loading dock so it would be easy to shove it in after the dirt is down (and still wet). It's a small thing but the individually laid shingles really look good.
    The home stretch is coming...imageimageimageimage
  • edited October 2011
    Looking great Joel, the individual shingles really do make a difference,they look fantastic. Good idea with the loading dock, I despise fiddling around with tweasers to place details after the structures are all in place.

Karl.A
  • I don't really know what to say other than I'm impressed. I really like the white washed effect on shelby's. Well done.
  • Joel-
    Congratulations on taking Best of Show with this diorama at the FS Expo! This is textbook craftsman structure building! Way to go!!
  • Joel,

It was a great diorama from the start. And now "Best of Show"!!!! Congratulations of a job well done.
    A perfect ending.

Jerry