visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Sequoia trees

Can any one tell me if Seqoiua trees are a darker or lighter color then Douglas Fir trees, so hard to tell on Youtube.

Thanks.

John.

Comments

• John, the Seqoiua , also known as redwood is, like the name indicates, much more red than douglas fir. Darker or lighter often depends on 1° how long the wood has been in the open. When you plane a board that stood in the workshop a while, it is lighter underneath.
    2° the age of the wood. Old wood is usually darker.

As an art/antiques restorer for 40 + years I do have some notion of wood.....
  • Thanks for that Robert, but I meant the color of the foliage for modeling purposes.
  • edited March 2018
    John, I did some digging and here is what I have found for you. I'm not the best at this by a LONG ways!

The first pic is the Sequoia needles and the second is a redwood tree.

Giant Redwoods
    Known as both the giant redwood and the coastal redwood, sequoia sempervirens differs from its relative the giant sequoia, sequoiadendron giganteum, primarily in the environment it requires. As its nickname suggests, giant or coastal redwoods thrive in the moist, humid climate of the Northern California coast, where marine fog delivers precise conditions necessary for its growth. The fog adds moisture to the soil and helps trap it there by lowering the rate of evaporation.
    Giant redwoods typically outreach their giant cousins in height, standing up to 378 feet tall.

Giant Sequoias
    Giant sequoias thrive in higher elevation habitats than giant redwoods and grow naturally only along the western slope of the Sierra Nevada Mountains, primarily between 5,000 and 7,000 feet in elevation. Giant sequoias require the periodic dry heat of the mountains in order for their cones to open and release seeds.
    Still reaching impressive heights of up to 311 feet, giant sequoias are typically shorter than their coastal relations. What they lack in height, however, they make up for in size, usually outweighing giant redwoods substantially.
    Through sheer incredible volume, giant sequoias claim the largest tree in the world. Known as General Sherman, this most giant of sequoias weighs a staggering 2.7 million pounds and stands 275 feet tall from its base, which is more than 100 feet wide. Not only is General Sherman the largest living tree, it also owns the title of largest living organism on the planet; also,

More About Redwoods and Sequoias
    Giant Redwoods
    Live up to 2,000 years
    Have branches up to 5 feet in diameter
    Bark grows up to 12 inches thick
    Can reproduce either by seed or by sprout
    Giant Sequoias
    Live up to 3,000 years
    Have branches up to 8 feet in diameter
    Bark grows up to 3 feet thick
    Reproduce by seed only.

I hope the two pics show.