visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Deer Creek Mine/My new Sierra West Layout

Comments

• Two wires one on one rail the other on the other rail.
  • Carl, you're right. DCC is very easy. A two-wire power bus and feeders from the rails to the bus. Phil
  • Great progress Phil... looks like a layout is coming alive!
  • Phil, a solution I've attempted is to run a train in a level loop. No switches, no hassles but there is something magical about watching an engine meander past the amazing Sierra west structures. If you are resourceful you can even build the Sierrawest cars and have a stunning display. To me it's the best of both worlds. Just an idea - no pressure.
  • Joel, good idea. One of these days I will buy the Sierra West backwoods train. Phil
  • Phil, I picked up the HO scale backwoods work train at a swap meet in January. It is going to be awesome. Better get it.
  • Ed, I sent you a personal message about the train. Phil
  • All, it's been a while since I last updated. I've actually been busy on the layout, but my day job has done a good job of interfering with my work.

When we last got together, I was headed to the back of the layout. I finished that part and installed a double cross-over switch so trains could easily switch between the two main lines. I had to do a lot of research into wiring the frogs of this complicated switch because it has more frogs than a swamp in Louisiana.

IMG_0344
    IMG_0377
    IMG_0378

Once I finished that I moved to the last corner which will bring the track into the timber cutting area. By this time, the timber line has climbed 9 inches.

IMG_0409
    IMG_0412
    IMG_0416
    IMG_0417

I am going to delay finishing the timber cutting area until I have the lower tracks working properly. This is probably the toughest part of building a layout - making the trains run smoothly. Basically you have to run a variety of trains over the layout to make sure there are no problem areas. Believe me - it's a lot easier to fix a problem now, then after you start the scenery. Well, I had a major problem in one of my key junction areas where I had an increase in elevation. I had created a major "dip" which was causing all sorts of problems. Therefore, I had to re-engineer the area, rip out what I had done and redo the area.

IMG_0426

The re-engineering worked and I avoided a major problem with my railroad. Now, I'm concentrating on powering all the frogs (insures smoother running) and hooking up the Barrett touch toggles. Below is a picture of what a control panel will look like. This is a rough draft of the final product which will be professionally done with my railroad decal (in development). Let me tell you, the toggles are fantastic!!! What you are looking at is the track that goes around the Twin Mills Sawmill and onto the timber cutting support area. I will have three separate panels.

IMG_0435

My final task now is to do a major cleanup and properly label all my wiring. Below is a picture of the layout as it is today. Thanks for stopping in. Phil

IMG_0434
  • BTW I apologize for the duplication of the first three pictures. It has been too long ... Phil
  • Hi Phil,
    It looks like you are making really good progress. I look forward to getting to this point also. How are you bridging the entry aisleway? Drop in, Swing, or gate?
    Keep up the good work.
    Mark
  • Nice progress Phil. Looks like you worked yourself into a corner!
  • Coming right along, Phil. Top notch bench work. That touch-toggle panel will add a nice museum quality to the layout.
  • Mark, you can't see it very well, but I have a drop-down bridge with micro switches. It works very well. Thanks Ken and Bill. Once I finish powering all the frogs, I going to kick back and run trains to make sure everything works well. Then I'm going to build the upper timber-cutting area. Phil
  • Hey Phil, you are making good progress on your layout. As you know, I am working on Shelby's Marine Service. I have about 50 Tortious switch machines to install and I am going to use the Barrett touch toggles. I have some to try, but after the structure project.
  • All, it's been awhile since my last update. My day job is requiring a lot of attention and I've been traveling a lot, but work on the Sierra West layout has been progressing. When I last updated you, I had just finished the track work on the main level (The trains are running great). Now, came the hard part, the backdrop. I wanted to use a photo backdrop from Joey Ricard's Trackside Scenery, so the first step was to install Masonite as a base for the photo backdrop.

IMG_0458
    IMG_0459

This was very difficult due to the increase in elevation of the track and the contemplated upper level of the timber cutting area. Once this was completed, I needed to provide Joey with the exact dimensions of the backdrop so he could create a photo backdrop that matched the elevation changes. BTW, Joey was very easy to work with and was a pleasure to deal with. I received the photo backdrops in four pieces and started the installation. BTW this is not for the faint of heart. It requires two persons and no backdrop installation is going to be perfect. I screwed up the second panel, but Joey was there to help out and sent another panel.

IMG_0473
    IMG_0739

As you can see, the project is complete and I am pleased with the way it looks except for one joint. However, I plan to cover that joint with scenery.

I'm contemplating the next step. I need to build the upper log cutting area, but I think I'm going to install the woodcutter's shack on the layout and do some scenery. That way folks can see a part of my vision for the layout. I've got some great reference material to do this, especially Karl's Dirt, Details, and Dioramas. More to follow.

Phil
  • Looks great Phil. I'm looking forward to seeing how this progresses.

Mark
  • edited July 2017
    Great job, Phil! It's cool that he was able to help you incorporate the rise in elevation so the backdrop made sense. Did you share pictures with Joey?

I have two of his backdrops and I know Allen has some too. I use mine for diorama photog only and I really like them. I was able to mount them by myself, however, the pieces were only a 4' run.
  • Great work Phil. Such a nice addition to the overall layout.
  • The backdrop looks very nice Phil.
  • Thanks Mark, Bill and Ken. These pictures were part of a series of pictures he produces. Since I'm modeling central Louisiana, I wanted more of a flat terrain. Each panel was about 6 to 7 feet long. That's why it was complicated. Phil
  • edited July 2017
    Be super careful with those photo backdrops. I bought one from Joey...image quality is awesome...durability is really bad. Got some water on mine and it peeled...blew some black chalk dust on it by mistake...was sitting behind my diorama at the time...and now can't get it off.
  • I plan to protect the backdrop when I'm working in that area. Thanks for the advice. Phil
  • Now that I have the backdrop in place, it's time to place my first Sierra West kit and do some scenery. It's about time!!! After surveying the area where I want to place the Wood Cutter's Shack (on the way up to the cutting area), I decided that I want to build up the area to match where the shack will be. This is a very tight corner and I need to cut a combination of 1/2" and 3/4" foam to fit the area.

IMG_0740

I would like to share a tip on how I get the foam to match the area in question. First, I use packing paper as a template. I put the paper in place and hold it with pins. I slowly work around the edges and mark or cut as is needed.

IMG_0741

Once I have the paper template properly cut, I pin it on a piece of foam and mark the edges.

IMG_0742
    IMG_0743

I then use a sabre saw to cut out the foam and it is ready to put in place. As you can see, I used this technique to place the pieces around the shack. The hole you notice is for the lights to the shack. I plan to run a 12v power bus around the layout to provide power to all the buildings.

IMG_0744
    IMG_0745
    IMG_0746
    IMG_0747

I did a little cutting and sanding and once I'm satisfied with the results, I glue the pieces in place. The next step will be to create a road to the shack and fine tune the topography.

Phil
  • That scene is going to look beautiful with the backdrop Phil.

Nice work
  • The ceremonial first SWSM to go on the layout! Man it looks good aginst that killer back drop.
  • The ceremonial first SWSM to go on the layout! Man it looks good aginst that killer back drop.
  • Once the foam has been glued down, I started working on the road to the Woodcutter's Shack. I wanted it to be a winding road which elevates up to the shack. After I cut in the road, I saw an opportunity for a rock feature (thanks Alan for inspiring me). I had to cast my first rocks and use sculptamold for the first time. It was an experience.

IMG_0749
    IMG_0750.

I do have a question - should I go ahead and paint the rocks before I start on the application of the dirt? Logic would dictate that I would but I would love your opinion. I've also been studying Karl's Dirt, Details and Dioramas and will be following it to lay down the base layer of dirt and application of the details.

Thanks for following. Phil
  • I put the dirt down first, and then paint the rocks Phil. The layout is coming along very nicely.
  • I always paint the rocks first and then dirt around/over them. Several reasons.
    Karl. A
  • Thanks Steve and Karl. That's why I asked. Karl, I would love to know your reasons. One may be the paint running into the soil. Phil