visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Scotia Supply from the great still frozen North

edited March 2015 in HO Scale Builds
Well its a week until the Expo and I felt sorta bad that this would be the first year I didn't bring with a SierraWest model. I has built Scotia Supply a few years ago but never finished it as I moved on to other projects. Well I spent the day yesterday putting on the roof and detailing it. I used StoneyCreek tarpaper and individually shingle the side building.

Crazy thing is I want to now cover all this lovely work with snow. Wish me luck.image

Comments

• ok.... good luck. Gonna hope for the best
  • I know you are a real fan of snow. That said I gotta learn somewhere. Why not wreck a beautifully detail Sierrawest kit.
  • yeah, i hate the scale stuff almost as much as the real thing. Sun, warmth, beaches, beer, and bikinis...
  • Please practice your technique several times before trying it on this beautiful model.
  • Hey Bryan,
    Thanks for the kind words but as nice as it is it really isn't that great. Believe or not this model was built before Brett started using chalk. Also it's too late. I put on a layer of modelling paste to give the effect of a drift and then masked off the model so I only sprinkle the white stuff on the appropriate areas. A bit harder than I hoped.image
  • This is an interesting read. I got a copy on my iPad. Glanced through it but really didn't read closely. Seems like lots of ideas on snow and ice.

http://www.migjimenez.com/en/english-version/253-issue-7-snow-ice-english.html
  • Bryan that was actually my inspiration. Great pictures and how to articles. Unfortunately it is one thing to read and another to do.
  • Nuts !!!
  • OK so I took off the masking and although not perfect it has the effect I'm looking for.
    imageimage

While waiting for that to dry I made 2 types of icicles. First I took a sprue of clear plastic left over from an old kit and melted it over a candle.imageimage

Then I tried a different version and touched the nozzle from some silicon caulking to a tongue depressor.imageimage
  • Joel, I do think it was worth all the effort of the masking, etc. I like the icicles that have the sharp points, they remind me of the ice dams I had this winter.

Marty
  • Some really cool effects here (pardon the pun). Look forward to seeing Scotia in the grips of winter.
  • I like the effects
  • Ok glued on the icicles and coated a few with gloss medium. A bit of melting snow around the ground cover...image
  • Joel,

I like the look of the snow on the ground and the smaller building to the right. Its a little more subtle. My eye keeps being drawn to the heavy snow on the tallest roof.

It does look like Scotia Supply is waiting for Spring.

Best regards,

Mitch
  • Joel

Kudos for trying this out. I kinda like the effect to be honest. You a brave man.
  • I like it. A very ambitious project, but you are getting the right look. Since it's winter, the guy on the right may need a jacket. However, he may be one of those guys that likes shorts and t-shirts year-round. Also, if you want puddles on the ground beneath the icicles, try expoxy glue. Phil
  • What's up with the guy in short sleeves?

I like how you added the snow effect too the tops of some of the details. I wonder if the heavy accumulation on the roof would warrant a little bit more in the scenery or maybe even a bit on the balcony? This is a technique that could easily be overdone and yours looks subtle and believable.
  • Hey Joel, nice seeing and talking with you at the Expo. Really enjoyed mulling over Scotia with the winter overlay. Nicely done.