visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Iconic Machine Shop Machines

Hi Everyone,

My current project involves a small machine shop and backwoods engine house. The space I have available will only allow for at best four machines. So my question is which machines are the most iconic. For me the number one piece is the lathe followed by the drill press. The catch here is the machine(s) must be available from Brett.

I look forward to your comments/suggestions

Michael

Comments

• Michael I would add to the list the Crank Shaper & Universal Miller. These are two of the best that Brett offers.

And fun to put together.

Jerry
  • Good choices. You could try and get the most bang for your buck by adding a couple small pieces to this like a grinder and / or the hacksaw. Apparently at the Sierra Railway machine shop, which I want to model, to this day the hacksaw is the most used machine.
  • Essential Machines - Lathe, Drill Press, Miller, Hacksaw, Grinder....

Best Looking Models - Lathe, Big Drill Press, Miller, Shaper
  • Interesting!

In my opinion there is no "right" priority order because each real-world situation would be unique and only the model builder has a mental picture of the desired end result.

My work shop powered machinery priorities (assuming pre-WWII) for backwoods repairs and maintenance work would be in order: grinder, power hacksaw, lathe, crank shaper. If the work included major/complex repairs and fabrication then in order of increasing job complexity I would add: universal milling machine, small planer, vertical boring mill, horizontal boring mill and so. Items such as a wheel lathe and other specialized machines would at the complex task end of the spectrum.

For anyone interested and who is not familiar with engineering workshops I'll stretch the strict definition of machines a bit into some ideas on equipping a small but capable workshop realistically. So again assuming pre-WWII and either or both tight space and $ budget to set up a backwoods maintenance/repair workshop my choice of equipment would at least include: heavy duty work bench(es) with heavy duty vice(s), materials racking and parts storage shelving and cupboard(s), heavy duty jacks and timber cribbing, hoisting equipment, grinder, oxyacetylene cutting and welding, heavy/big drill press, forge and large anvil (I know not part of a machine shop in the modern sense but essential for backwoods heavy repairs), power hacksaw, lathe, crank shaper, heavy universal mill. And, of course, a wide variety of hand tools and both new and old/broken parts. To make the area look busy and pique the viewer's interest items such as the oxyacetylene set(s), one or more workbenches, materials racking, and the forge and anvil with appropriate repair work in progress could realistically be located in a small, congested, open-sided lean-to shack sharing one wall of your machine shop or engine house.

In the end the detailing wizards on this (and other) forum(s) always seem to make the scene very realistic and interesting to the viewer with many variations on the above.

Apologies for being long winded!
  • Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond to my question.

Brian, thank you for your very insightful information. I’m going to save this to a word document so I can use it as a reference as I get more into detailing my machine shop area. When I designed and built my engine house/machine shop I knew I would not be able to portray a ‘complete’ shop area. My hope was to have a viewer look at it and say “Oh yeah that’s the machines used to keep the locomotive operating.” If no one asks me where is such and such machine(s) I’ll be happy. Your comments about some heavy work benches and vices was something I hadn’t given any thought to. Thanks for the idea!

If anyone else has some suggestions feel free to add them. I'm still very much in the planning/thinking stage.

Michael
  • Good point re: forge/ anvil. One always sees them in older shops. I just wish I knew how some of these contraptions worked. I have Bill G's book on equipment but even then it is hard to understand how some machines worked.
  • First and second choice in any shop would be drill press followed by lathe. Then a grinder for the lathe tooling and a hacksaw. Then it would be a choice between the shaper and a milling machine but the shaper would normally win out first as a lot of milling operations can be done on the lathe. Then you get into the more specialized machines such as slotters, punches and planers. My machine shop is going to be fully equipped with all the machines I would like to have in 1:1 scale some of which are shown below. From left to right are a radial drill (modified WSM kit) shearing machine, slotting machine, radial planer, hand rolls in front, then punching machine and a drill press(SWSM). I use old catalogues available on Google books or Vintage Machinery.com for ideas. I still have a couple of lathes to do including an extended bed SWSM model but suspect I wont stop there , they get addictive after a while! Then there is the blacksmith shop and the wood shop to do!

Jeff
  • oops, not sure why the photo disappeared?
  • These are absolutely awesome! The radial planer is stunning as is the hand roller - all of them ! Where did you get all the little bits like handles and gears and pulleys. Are some your own castings? Very inspirational.
  • I can see how this gets addictive ! Very creative
  • All except the drill presses were actually built from scratch and use Sierra west pulleys, gears etc.

Jeff
  • Wow Jeff, incredible! So good they look like they started out as a kit!
  • That is some amazing modeling, I can really appreciate scratch building like that. Superb.

Karl.A
  • Ooooo ... Maybe that could be a great Summer Special, Brett - a big pile o pulleys, gears, and handles!
  • Don't think I would make an "official" special of it but if any forum members want a baggie of parts that could be used as mentioned here (wheels, gears, handles) just send me an email with the desired scale. HO, S, or O
  • Thanks guys, and I'll be emailing Brett! Once you get the hang of it these are quite simple to make. I use air drying modeling clay for the big chunky castings. Just mould it roughly to scape and then trim with a knife when half hard. Then add machined surfaces with styrene sheet and then add all the twiddly bits.

Jeff
  • wow -who would have thunk it? I was wondering how you did the bases...
  • Terrific stuff Jeff.
  • Jeff, Really nice work...would be stellar even built from a kit..but scratch! Well done.

Ken