visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

#305 O Scale Wood Cutters Shack. Karl.A

Comments

• Karl, that is unbelievable!

John
  • Again Karl thank-you.
  • edited April 2014
    The details are awesome and truely sets Brett's kits apart from any one elses. Since you also built the lineside sheds in both HO and O scale are the tools a different size ? I have been really enjoying adding these type of details to the HO scale version.

Jim
  • Thanks very much for your comments Brian, John, Alan and Jim. I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Brian, this process is now well featured in Brett's HO kits also. It's not just the O scale guys that get all the fun. The excellence of the individual castings and the finishing techniques have transferred extremely well into the HO kits. Similar results are obtainable thanks to SW innovations.

Yes Jim the tools are different sizes and scale appropriate for each of the Lineside sheds. The theology and the techniques however are the same, this gives the modeler, regardless of scale the absolute best results from their model.

One of the goals when developing the HO lineside kit was to replicate as closely as possible it's O scale 'big brother'. Both in the level of detail and the finishes that could be achieved. Looking at the two model pictures side by side I think the goal was met.
    So much so that these SWSM innovations and Brett's term "O scale modeling in HO" are already trying to be copied.

Karl.A
  • Glad to see you back at this one Karl. Casting work continues to be top notch and inspiring. Thanks for sharing that "casting free" bench photo. When Brett mentioned he was going to start shipping kits this way, I instantly got excited thinking about the new possibilities. I believe he said he felt he'd taken his current approach to castings as far as he could and this change would get us all to a new level. (I love how his gears are always turning!)

When you think about it, the process of making the castings forces the placement of the various parts into positions that are practical rather than plausible. Look at where you placed items 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, and 11. I'm not an expert, but I'd bet there'd be NO WAY to mass produce a casting like that and have the parts come out of the mold correctly more than 10% of the time--if at all. Yet, it's that kind of positioning that you have there that I think elevates the believability factor by leaps and bounds. The clutter looks accumulated rather than positioned.

Almost forgot…that vice paint job is spot on. The Old Minion would be proud!
  • Karl: thank you very much for the insight into the more recent HO kits conforming to the methods/concepts used in the O scale kit production. I never had reason nor the opportunity to compare similar SW kits from the two scales and consequently did not realize how literal Brett's term "O scale modeling in HO" has become. Great for us all in HO!
  • edited August 2017
    Well here it is again... seems like every three years I revive this thread, started in 2011, revived in 2014, and back again in 2017...

And now, my model/diorama is back on the work bench, details are lined up ready to be planted, the desk is cleared and I'm finding my tools,

Incidentally, I re-read the entire thread to remind myself of what I was supposed to be doing , and where I was up to, so,
    if you haven't seen this thread before I recommend you go back to page one too....
    It was a group build with several great models being shown by several great modellers,

Techniques and tips flowed and some fantastic finished photos are featured.

For now, I'll leave you to peruse the past while I get ready for the next stage of finishing this great SWSM kit.

Should be build update pics tomorrow...

Karl.A
  • Well, a day late, but hey, who's counting....
    Not much of a great update but progress none the less.
    Decking glued down and structure in place (not glued) and positioning some of the details on the porch.

Also some of the details glued down under/around the shed..... however...

I'm not really liking those lime green bottles anymore, apparently I did 3 years ago and they are prototypical, but, now they are in place, they just aren't cutting it, so I'll pull them up tomorrow, strip them and repaint them, no biggie.

Six pole shed only placed in position to see the way things are looking so far.

Karl.A
  • It is awesome to see this old beauty come off that unfinished shelf and see some freshening up. I really love the ripped tarpaper roof on the shed. so nice...
  • I'm with Brett, that roof and worn tar paper is terrific. Great to see this piece come off the shelf and get some attention. Details are signature Karl quality!
  • edited August 2017
    Thanks Brett and Ken, I'm also pleased to see this great kit come off the shelf and proceed. It may be sporadic as I'm in and out of town right now, but its great to be at the bench when I can.

I keep going back through the pages of this thread to Brian Browns (BrownBr) pictures of his diorama/model (bottom of page 4) and that amazing look at the front of his structure is what I want for mine, hopefully I'll get a similar 'feel'.

More later,
    Karl.A
  • I personally like the castings...the tanks look great. Hey, what material did you use for the shingles and how did you paint/weather them. I'm assuming chalk...
  • edited August 2017
    Thanks Alan, I'm happy with the castings as a whole, just the lime green tanks need to go, they are even more 'garish' in person...

The shingles were made from the strip wood provided in the kit, they were weathered and then coloured with C&A as the instructions describe. The usual way.
    The only variation from the manual was that I 'snapped' the shingles to length instead of cutting them, this process is described earlier in the thread here....

http://www.craftsmankituniversity.com/vanforum/index.php?p=/discussion/36/305-o-scale-wood-cutters-shack/p1

Also, unhappy with my original colouring it was adjusted as described in the same post with chalk numbers included, and the reasons.

Thanks for your post, more later.

Karl.A
  • Karl,
    Glad you are back at. Motivating me to start a new SierraWest kit. I look forward to your updates. Love both roofs. Looking forward to following along (again).
  • Nice to see you back at it. It looks really good. I always enjoy your attention to the smallest details like the wrench propping the window open.
  • Hey Karl

Nice to see you posting again buddy. Looking forward to learning some more from your wonderful builds.
  • Thanks Wes. Glad you get something from my builds. More updates when I get back home.

Karl. A
  • Well, I reckon that should be enough for the scene..... and if not, well, my story is that the sawmill just picked up their weekly delivery 'cos I'm not chopping anymore wood !!

Karl.A
  • Uhmmm, yeah, I think that'll do it!
  • Karl, I'm going to need a bunch of split wood for my HO Woodcutter's Shack. Why don't you convert that gadget to HO and send me a cord or two!!!
  • Should be enough. Just!!!
  • I'm ordering a cord of 1:87...
  • Well despite vowing I wouldn't be chopping anymore scale firewood (not even for Ken)...

Unfortunately it turned out that everything I had chopped was 1/35 and not 1/48.

I was faced with the decision of scratchbuilding a 1/35 version of the shack to match all the wood, or, chopping more wood...

It was a close call, but, I opted to chop even more wood, but this time try and get it right.

Been out of town working for a few weeks hence the delay, but today, back at home, I got to work on the wood chopping.

With a new batch of wood chopped and ready to go I started applying the basic scenery layers..... tonal variations first.

Then base layer of ground up bark, wood chippings, and then started building the wood piles and laying out the scene.

This will have to dry and lighten up before I can do finish scenery and detailing in this area at the front, so I'll possibly do some work on the shed area this evening while I'm waiting.

Karl.A
  • Great lesson in woodology! Love the cut log with the saw shavings in place...
  • Well noticed Ken, thank you.
    A large saw will appear leaning against the raised log close to the last cut at some point soon.

Karl.A
  • I still marvel at the shake shingles on the roof. The texture and sun-bleached gray are spot on. Im also glad to see you incorporating figures as well.
  • Well worth the rechopping. Coming together beautifully.
  • I noticed the logs on the left too, with the saw dust on the ground, really nice and very realistic. Your new chopped wood is perfect too.

Mike S.
  • Thanks Bill, yep, figures tend to appear and disappear through out my build threads, as you may have noticed in the past.....
    I generally only use them for scaling an overall 'feel' in an area, detail placement, and setting up scenes, and then they head home.
    These two may hang around for a while, but they'll need a repaint first, who knows.

Thanks Joel and Mike, I'm much happier with it now, things seem to be falling easier into place also.

Did quite a lot of work on the shed area, though I know it doesn't look like anything too different to most, but, it was a hurdle.

Also a little work elsewhere to help with the flow....

And that's where I'm leaving it for tonight, everything will be dry in morning and reviewed with fresh eyes.

This woodcutter is done for the night !!

Karl.A
  • Still one of my favourite kits Karl, simply because it was my first Sierra West kit.

Loving how yours is coming together.