visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Scaling on Templates

As I was doing the the Shipyard kit I noticed something that is missing from the templates - a "reference scale".

What I'm talking about is a line or ruler put somewhere on the template in the vertical and horizontal directions. This line would be of a known length, say 6", and would act as a reference for each template to ensure that the template is the exact size. For example, if a copy is made of a template for whatever reason (cutting out a particular item and not wanting to mess-up the original) the builder could measure the copy's reference line to ensure it has been copied at 100%.

Copy machines are netorious for NOT producing 100% copies, even printers have the same issue.

Something to think about.

\Marty

Comments

• Marty,
    you could put the 'build' copy over the original and hold it up to a window to ensure the copy is accurate, the light shinning through both will enable you to compare the two.

The accuracy of the original templates is Brett's responsibility, which he is vigilant about.
    If you choose to make copies of those templates for personal use the responsibility of their accuracy is your own.

The window trick is a quick and easy way to ensure that they are the same.

Karl.A
  • I know that trick with the window. I guess I just continue to use/cup up the original.
  • Martin, not everybody is as honest and as good a customer as you. I would love to put a scale rule on the templates but it makes it too easy for the dishonest folks out there to copy my work. Already too much of that without my help! I actually would love to provide digital copies of my templates and manuals but then I would lose complete control. DRM (digital rights management) could solve the piracy problem but I have no time for that kind of stuff...
  • Gosh, didn't think it was that big of problem. Your kits are very cheap considering what you provide in them. If I had to buy the strip wood and the castings from third parties, cast models and pour them, I would be spending 3-4 times as much as it takes to buy the whole kit from you. I real don't think DRM is in a state to solve the problem of piracy only make it a few minutes more inconvenient. Lawyers and the courts can do little to help unless you have non-disclosure agreements signed by suppliers and customers. Your models are works of art and are inherently protected by law; however convictions are too rare and too costly. I had the same issue when I was professional photographer, there is no winning without cost.

Marty