visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Forum Participation

Forums are like snowballs....
the more you add to them the bigger and better they get.

There are currently several members posting progress on their builds (and doing a darned fine job !! )

There are also alot more members logging in and following these great builds.
Unfortunately the builders do not know this unless they get a reply back in the thread.

If nobody (or very few members) respond then the builder may think nobody is interested, they may think they did something wrong, or, they may just wrongly think that nobody is looking, at which point they may possibly stop posting and then there will be less for us all to enjoy.

So come on guys, if you take the time to log in, then take the time to look at a build or a thread,
please take the time to leave a small comment just to let the guy know you have been there.

Just a simple.....
"Thanks for the update" ...... "looking good so far" ..... " I also have this kit" .... "Thanks for taking the time to share this"

If you ask a question I can guarantee there are at least fifty other modellers with the same question who havent asked it yet, but, will be glad of the answer.

These will all encourage more great content and more members to the forum, and we all want that or we wouldnt have joined, right ?

The forum was set up for us to support and encourage each other, so, lets do it ....

Karl.A

Comments

• *sigh* I'm as guilty as anybody in this department.

Well said, Karl.
  • Im pretty guilty of this myself.

Thanks for the kick up the A$$ Karl.
  • ditto, sorry.
  • Thanks guys for your responses, and the noteable increase in activity.
    Lets all keep this ball rolling !!

Thanks,
    Karl.A
  • sfc
    edited February 2013
    I would beg to differ regarding the participation of the aforementioned individuals, as I have read many of your comments contained within the numerous discussions on this forum. However, I, on the other hand, am truly guilty. I have read every post with only a single comment to my name. So I must apologize. I am greatly impressed with all the work and information posted and I do find this forum a tremendous and valuable resource. But, my hesitation is more so related to the fact that my insight would at most contribute minimally to the discussion or so I thought. As Karl has rightly pointed out, encouragement is a great motivator and I would be quite disheartened if I posted a build and did not receive constructive criticism and/or encouragement. In the future, my participation will be more involved.

Thanks for the opportunity to be part of this excellent resource.

sfc
  • yea i agree , i have been guilty of this. sorry. i'll try harder. so well done guys.
  • edited February 2013
    Thanks indeed for your comments Scott and Stevo.

Simply knowing that there is "somebody out there" is a great encouragement.

Now we just need to wait for Wes to get his butt in gear and model something so we will have something to comment on..... Ha.

Looking forward to your inputs.

Karl.A
  • I like so many others have followed the builds without commenting, for that I apologize . The modeling by all is truly fantastic ......so many ideas....now if I could just put them to good use.I'm just getting back into modeling since retiring back in September grandkids keep taking up a lot of time. I used to model HO but hands and eyes find on30 a better fit....thanks to Brett's kits they are truly fabulous.Again thanks to all of you who share your builds I certainly can't get enough.
  • I agree Karl, praise or (contstructive) criticism is always welcome in my build threads ... I'm a bit keyboard shy... but I'll try my best to contribute (never wish to offend anyone ... being Canadian and all...), now back to the Shipyard.

Paul
  • Thanks Scott, great to have you with us and looking forward to your continued posts.

I dont know you that well Paul, but I find it hard to imagine you offending anybody, just a damn good guy.
    Now go get back to that shipyard and keep us up to date...
  • I just wanted to say that it's great to see the activity here on the forum.

Currently we have EIGHT very high quality build threads being posted by individual members and the feedback and responses are very appreciated.

So thanks to all those builders for sharing their fantastic work and time with us.
    Thanks also to the members who are supporting and encouraging these builds with their responses and input.

Karl.A
  • Yes I agree! I am guilty of this too. I just don't know what to say somtimes. Is there a way you could put in a like box like they have on facebook? That way you can see how many people like it without all the posts.
  • Well John, firstly it's great to see you making some posts and seeing your input, many thanks for that.

A "like" box could be looked into, however, if there was a like box you never would have posted anything. I would really prefer to see some of the viewers post a little more and draw them out.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, simply typing "nice job" doesn't take that long but every now and then it's nice for us builders to read it.

The forum has had some really great input recently and with new posters making the odd comment now and then in various threads we will continue to grow and stay active.

Thanks again,
    Karl.A
  • edited February 2014
    To everyone:

To expand on the last paragraph in my previous post....

"The forum has had some really great input recently and with new posters making the odd comment now and then in various threads we will continue to grow and stay active."

If we all try to make atleast just one post per week imagine what that could do for the forum.

Sure you think, there are 7 or 8 active threads right now, if I just post "nice work" in one of them what difference will that make. Trust me it will make a big difference.

Imagine there are 20 members following those threads who never post, and then imagine each make only one post per week.
    That will mean a couple of extra posts in each thread that the builder will read and get a boost from. A little added motivation.
    It will also prompt the members who are already posting to maybe make an additional comment in a thread they were just browsing.
    The threads will get more active and more will be shared between us, Thus feeding more responses and more new threads.

It's always very easy for us to think that someone else will make that post for us, or that someone else has already said it. But remember if we all think like that there will be nothing to read.

This thread has always meant to be an encouragement and a positive. So far it has encouraged several members to become more active and I hope it will continue to do so for many more, this is a great positive for all the members and for the forum.

Thank you to everyone who is supporting the forum, either by posting or reading.

Karl.A

• Karl,

It wasn't until the early start of this thread when you expanded on the significance of acknowledging a person's posts to reinforce his effort that I really thought twice about it. Oh boy, do I cruise forums for a few hobbies that I hold dear, but it never occurred to me how valuable feedback is.

My hat is off to you for stating the obvious and doing so in an informative and courteous fashion . . .

Respectfully,
    John
  • Welcome aboard JP. Yes, it is a great resource. Being of manageable size it is possible to go through and read from beginning to end.

Respectfully,
    John Maguire
    Seattle
  • edited May 2014
    Welcome JP, great to have you here with us and it will be wonderful to see your participation. There are many great builds already documented here and there are some new ones starting off, good reading for us all....!!

Karl.A
  • Karl: As you know I am new to the forum as an active member. But when I think about how many hours I previewed old builds when I was constructing my SW kits the last two years I owe this forum and its contributors a lot. Your point is well put and I'll make a point of commenting on builds and other topics. Thanks for your reminder.

Dave
  • I sometimes have only a few minutes at the end of a workday to hop on the forums, see what is being built, and to leave a comment here and there. I know from my own experience that when I posted a challenge project on another forum, how much I was excited that people gave their comments and suggestions to improve my modeling skills.
    Those comments received from other modelers really make it all the more worthwhile.
    So Karl, thanks for reminding us to be more attentive, and I too have been lerking on here, but not any more.
    All the best in Model Railroading...
    Rich
  • Thanks for your posts Dave and Rich. We really appreciate your time in responding with your thoughts and comments. It is great to read that you have been enjoying the forum and even better to read that you will now be more active.
    We look forward to your continued participation in the forum and to seeing some more of your work. Thank you.
  • I joined the Sierra West forum because of Karl.A. I am very new to the railroad modeling hobby, but I am a perfectionist. I've really struggled with making castings realistic and then I found Karl's many posts on this site. I have compiled his tutorials in a binder for reference and as a result, my castings are looking a whole lot better. With lots of practice, maybe I can obtain the quality that Karl does. I have the Twin Mills sawmill and will tackle it once I get a lot better. Thank you Karl. Phil
  • I almost forgot. I mentioned that I have the Twin Mills kit, but I want to start a kit more geared for the beginner. I am working on a Southern U.S. logging layout. What kit do you recommend to start with? Thanks in advance. Phil
  • edited September 2014
    Thank you for the very kind words Phil, your post is very rewarding for me to read.

Any of Brett's kits are suitable for a beginner due to the fact that they all walk you through each and every step of construction with excellent and complete instructions for every stage.
    Twin mills is indeed a very large project, however, it is broken into smaller sections throughout the build to give you steps of accomplishment towards the final goal.

I'm embarrassed to say I'm not sure which smaller kits are currently available that would give you a great project to "get your feet wet". I'll check for you and post a reply in a day or two.

Karl.A
  • Dave, Rich & Phil,

How nice to see you stepping forward. Thank you for being here and please talk to us all and show us what you are doing! I am as new as they come and really enjoying the advices and comments trying to get the wizards of the group to keep me on the straight and narrow.

Respectfully,
    John Maguire
    Seattle
  • John,

I'm just down the road in Spokane. Once I can find a "smaller" kit to start, I will post pictures. I'm a newbie as well, but don't mind making mistakes to learn how to do it better. For example, I learned this weekend, when scratching up your well painted barrels, don't go too deep (i.e. past the primer) because the powder will not adhere to the metal or plastic. Phil
  • edited September 2014
    Phil,

a good choice right now would be the Wood Cutters Shack which Brett currently has
    on the specials page here ......

http://sierrawestscalemodels.com/special.shtml

This would be a really good place to start for several reasons....

- It's relatively a small building but encompasses all of the building techniques you
    will find in larger kits.

- There are some really great details as with all of SW kits, and plenty of them.

- One great bonus of buying this kit right now is that the manual includes the older
    techniques as it is an older kit, but, Brett has just updated the original manual by adding
    in the newer techniques alongside the older ones.
    This gives you a chance in one kit to sample and try out the older methods or, the newest ones from the latest kits.
    The newer techniques have been added in appropriate places for, strip wood colouring, detail painting, and scenery/dioramas.

Karl.A
  • Thanks Karl. That's the one I had my eye on. I'm going to order it.

Phil
  • Karl, ordered!! The timing was good since Brett's special ends tomorrow. I also like the idea of having both the new and old method instructions. I have a few items on my layout to do first, but when I start the kit I will post. I will need all the advice and critiques I can get.

Phil
  • edited September 2014
    Great news !! You will really enjoy the kit (and Brett can buy me a beer as commission).

Some things on your layout? Hopefully not structures, once you've built a SWSM kit nothing else comes close, best to start at the top.

Let's carry this discussion on in a new thread so as not to diverge this thread too much from its original intent. Start a new thread where ever you think appropriate. It's great to have you posting, building and being a part of the forum. We look forward to your input, in all threads, and definitely look forward to another Twin Mills build, the "King of Kits".

Hopefully we will be seeing your WCS (kit 8087) build progress very soon...... Winter is coming, it's modeling season !!!

Karl.A
  • I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone for their continued and outstanding contributions to the SWSM forum over the past year.

The many build threads have been incredible and inspiring, the supportive comments have been fantastic and are always a motivation for the builder to show more.

Thank you to the builders of all of the current and past build threads for taking the time to share your steps with us. It is really appreciated by all of us, and many more viewers.

Thanks to all of the members who make comments and support the builders, it is very rewarding to read those comments, and very appreciated by everyone on the forum.

Thanks to all of those people who are just looking in and enjoying the great work that so many of our members are posting. Please join us, it would be great to have your participation and read your comments. We look forward to your contributions in the future.

Karl.A