visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Logging and Tractor repair - Straight Up

Comments

• Hey Wes - I used the olive green chalk that Kevin suggested (it was available at the art supply store around the corner).

Bill you jest but I did try to model some Bug damage. I took a few of the pieces of strip wood and after brushing them I hit them repeatedly with my stiffest wire brush causing groupings of small holes. You can see it at the bottom of boards 2 and six (from the left) in the bottom photo above. Not sure how effective it is, looks a bit more like random nail holes, but I like the overall effect it adds.
  • ECHO - - in the pics the green looks good.
  • edited December 2011
    Well I'm still here. Finished all the walls but I thought it a bit boring to keep posting the same thing over and over. Now on to some castings. I tried to use Kevin's techniques As described on the "other" forum. Might as well try and emulate the best. Not up to his standards but a good start.imageimage

Next I tried to use Chuck Doan's hairspray method to chip paint. Watched a utube video on and tried it on an old Western Milling Machine.

When it works it is really great. i then tried a couple of castings from this kit.

imageimageimageimage

It worked best on the oil High Boy I think because I needed three coats of yellow polly S to coat. I guess because the paint was thicker it chipped better. Anyway another tool to try and perfect over the next few years.

OK only a few hundred more castings to paint and then I can work on the tractors...
  • I'm viewing your pics on my phone so the screen's a little small, but the chipped paint/rust on the lathe and milling machine look fantastic!

Your work bench sure looks good to me, but let's see what Kevin has to say. (I'm also a student of "Professor Castings"!)
  • great job on those castings
  • Fantastic work on those details Joel, just amazing.

Karl.A
  • That is some amazing work joel. Im sure kevin will be just as impresed with your work as we all are.
  • Wow Joel... looking great! One question - can you see the "dot pattern" on the Sinclair oil sign with the naked eye? I need to fix my sign sheet if you can... The peeling paint effects are awesome!
  • Hey Joel
    Everything looks great! Very nice job on the benches and details on them. The effects on the lathe are well done however I think that a little less is more approach would be more effective. Same thing goes for the lubester and pics not so close up would make it easier to assess the work. You've got some major skills Doc so I know this build will turn out fantastic.

Kevin
  • I had the same initial thought when I first saw the lathe Kevin, but then I realised/remembered that it is actually the 'old, junk' lathe which is rusting away in the corner of the workshop under boxes of spares.

Certainly over rusted for an operational unit, but in this senario I like the heavier rust effects.

Thats my 2p worth..

Karl.A
  • Thanks for all the feedback. I'm new to this technique so I admit I'm going a little heavy. I do agree with the two pence of Karl as this is an old non-operating lathe. The Oil high boy is outside but even so is a bit heavily weathered. I started chipping paint with a tooth pick and it took off large chuncks of paint. I then moved to a dull #11 blade and that was much better and gave me better control. The dot pattern is visible to the naked eye and the picture I took with the macro lens makes it very obvious. So much so that I ripped the sign off and printed a photo (downsized) of an old rusted sign. I've given it some dullcote and will try and afix it this weekend.
  • Ok reworked the sign on the front of the oil high boy. Much less of the dot pattern and some nice rusting (the original picture was of a rusted old sign). I also worked on a bunch of barrels and the wheel Barrow. Obviously trying to take kevin's suggestion to heart. Don't know why but when I see junk I want it all rusted and deteriorating.
    imageimage
    just a few more castings to go and I can start the tractors and wooden details (pallets/ladders/sawhorses)
    image It doesn't show well but the rusted metal bands on these details came out beautifully.

• very, very nice.... I really like the wheel barrow, anvil, and knee vice!
  • Really like those details. Is the stump for the anvil home-made? It looks like real wood
  • The anvil with the stump is a great idea. Looks great.
  • Love to take credit for the stump but it is straight out of the instructions. It is a real stick. I sawed about 3-4 and found the one with the best detail and parrallel ends.
  • Hey Joel
    Really beautiful work on the details! What did you use for the straps and what did you use to nail them to the stump?
    KO
  • Hi Joel- I just caught up on this thread as I'm thinking of venturing over to "the Dark Side" for a build or two. You again are doing some amazing work! Your castings are getting to be up there with the masters. My only question is that some of the rust spots on the barrels appear to look like lightning bolts or long scratches rather than rust splotches that emerge through the paint. I am definitely NOT the authority here- just wondering what you and others think. I love the overall effect.
  • The strapping is included with the kit and is styrene strip painted rust. It is pinned with some old HO scale rivets from my scrap bin.

As far as the steel drums go I actually was trying to model a large scratch in the paint surface on some of the drums. Sometimes rust comes from underneath the paint but often it is where paint rubs off or is scratched by something sharp. I usually scratch a bit here and there and add the rust then when placing the drum I can decide which orientation will give off the most pleasing effect. I suppose a real artist would know exacly what effect they wanted in each place but I still weather stuff and see what happens then edit them as I place them on the model. It's way faster as I do them in bulk.
  • Well it's happened. I've been building Brett's kits for many years (since the first one in '95) and I think I blew it for the first time. Tried to do the flooring and pushed the fine dirt into the glue and rubbed off the excess and let dry as per the instructions.image

Then I tried sanding of the dried dirt a day or two later and I sanded it all down and now exposed some bare wood in multiple areas. The dirt was quite thick and difficult to sand in some areas.

It's not ruined as I could always do a heavy brushing and restain. just wondering where I went wrong and if there is something I can do to repair it or do I just start over. Am I being too critical?

Any thoughts?

• Interesting situation Joel, I certainly wouldnt 'scrap' it just just yet, this may be a new technique in the making.
    Unfortunately I cant get a good look at it on my laptop screen right now so I will reserve judgement/advice/ideas until tomorrow.

Karl.A
  • I think you just got too much dirt there - try wetting the wood to soften the dirt then scrape with a single edge... you want the dirt mainly between the boards. its been so many years since i did this but i think this will improve the floor a bunch.
  • Ok. Thanks guys. I wet it and used a wire scratch brush and the "mud" came off. I reapplied it using thinned white glue like for scenery and wiped off the excess when it was wet. This left a tiny film behind to sand off. Much better. I probably read the directions wrong.image

OK now a small break before O get back to all those castings. been itching to get the CAT 8 done. I down loaded a few pictures of the real engines off the net and tried to copy the wiring and piping so I'll try and upload some engine close ups.imageimageimage

A bit crazy but it is at the front edge of the diorama.

I still have to detail it with tarps and junk but the CAT is done.
  • Superb Cat.
    I purchased two books on Caterpillar for the research to do this on my kit.
    You nailed it, well done.
  • wow... really impressed!
  • Outstanding Joel, I may need to copy that.
    Great work indeed.

Karl.A
  • Wow Joel. You said you downloaded pics of real CATs and I thought your photos your downloads! Who needs to download real CATs now. We all have this as a reference.
  • Here are a pair of pics I took of a Cat I found while out to sales calls.

Weatherd blade.

Dirt covered track
  • Great pics Alan, I'll be sure to reference them when I get back to mine...

Karl.A