visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Bit of advice needed.....

Hopefully no one will mind if I ask for a bit of advice on an off topic building. I am working on a diorama that will have Duluth plumbing on it, but also an off topic building.
I built the wood billboard sign for the rooftop (carter hardware) but I made several mistakes in the sign.
First off I made the mistake of trying to super glue the wood structure of the sign to the tar paper roof, and when I applied the glue several drops fell out of the glue bottle creating a shiny puddle at the base of the sign. I didn't touch it to prevent it from becoming worse in a frantic effort to repair it.
The other mistake I made is I went to dry sponge some white onto the paper part of the sign and ended up creating a streak that looks terrible.
Does anyone have any ideas that I could use to somewhat fix these issues?
I didn't want to post a pic of the damage since it is an off topic building, and if it's an issue I will delete this post.

Comments

• Hi Mike.
    Well you could hide the glue spot with some chalk or powder as far as the sign you may want it to look real weatherd and distress the rest of it.
    What year of time is this work I have a few billboard's that I can send you I think that they are from the 30's and 40'sI will look in the morning. .........Carl........
  • I feel your pain...I hate using the regular super glues.....I try to use the gels as I've done just what you say happened. It's hard to reply without seeing the shiny spot. My first thought is to model a water puddle on the roof.....and as Carl states....chalk covers up a lot of sins...but without seeing it...
  • A tarpaper patch to cover the glue perhaps. Brushing out the white streak with alcohol to try to tone it down enough to look like a faded streak.
  • I was thinking along the same lines as Bryan, cover it up. Scrap of wood and a tire, scrap of corrugated roofing all rusted and nasty, etc...
  • Sweet! Thanks for the heads up, I will try these to see what happens! I feel more optimistic about it now.
  • Acetone will dissolve the superglue, use it on the end of a Q-Tip to remove the glue spots in as small an area as possible.
    If you keep it small enough you should be able to blend it back in with paint and chalks once removed.
    If not, cover it with a patch as suggested previously.
  • That's a good idea Karl! I will have to pick some up so I can try this.
  • edited December 2023
    Nail polish remover is acetone, so don't go out and buy a gallon of acetone from the hardware store($20) if you have some in the house, or a dollar store nearby($1.50), it's a cheaper option. ;)