visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Best Sixty Build: Progress so far

Good morning everyone! I have been working the last few days on the new Sixty in O scale. For the first one, I have decided to model one that was traded in and repainted to be more appealing to a new customer, hence the newer post 1931 paint job. My railroad operated during wartime, so it won’t be to terribly beat up yet, but still gonna be grimy. Here is my progress so far, a little more detailing and weathering to do yet before the canopy goes on. Here is where it sits at the moment. Hope to finish it up this week.

Pictures to follow as they won’t load from my phone.

Comments

• I popped these up for Aaron as he was having issues getting them up from his phone....I really like what he's done with this. We are both members of the Black Sheep On30 modelers group that are involved with the Mid Hudson and Harrisburg On30 train meets.....This is a great example of his skills and work...
  • Fantastic job Aaron. Love the paint job.
  • Boy, that looks so realistic! Great job!
  • edited December 2023
    Looks Fantastic Aaron, good to see you posting here.
    Love the yellow paintjob and the weathering you have done to it. Great work so far.
  • What a fantastic job you did !!!
  • Cat yellow. I like it. The lighter color again makes the weathering show up well.
  • Nicely done. Used but not abused. Like the yellow color.
  • Can anyone share a source for the Cat yellow paint used by Aaron for his Best 60? I can find similar yellow colors in a gloss finish but not flat or satin.

Thanks, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • Ace hareware has it Dave in a spray can.
  • Dave, I used Vallejo Sun Yellow in a rattlecan. Closest I’ve found to Cat Yellow that is flat
  • Finished up the first of the 2 Best 60's I ordered. Went for used but not to abused, other than the tree branch that fell across the roof on it at the camp 47 reload. The shop crew accidently left a shop rag where they were trying to fix the cylinder leak, however the 10mm socket is supposedly still missing lol. Overall, this is a fantastic build, and I cant wait to start the next one :)

Best 1
    best 2
    best 3
    best 4
    best 5
    best 6
    best 7
    best 8
    best 9
    best 10
  • One word Outstanding...........Carl........
  • Incredible job. Everything is so realistic. Great modeling.
  • Upon further review, this is even better than I thought. Your weathering and added details are subtle but have just the right effect! Great job.
  • Hi Aaron,

I think you got the right idea on the weathering on this tractor. It looks like it has been working in the dirt for a while and the tracks like they have been abused by rock and dirt recently and not sitting around and rusted. The tracks on a tractor when they ha e been working should look like bare steel. I have seen to many of them in my work career.
  • holy cow!!!
  • TOP NOTCH work man !!!!!!
  • kebmo said:

holy cow!!!

kinda my thoughts as well!
  • Thanks Steve and Aaron (East Side Lumber Co) for the info about paint sources.
    Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • edited December 2023
    Thanks Aaron (East Side Lumber Co,) for sharing this awesome build of the Best 60. Your detail photos are incredible Lots to study and learn from in them. I would very much like to see how/where you place the Best 60 in your diorama or on your layout. Looking forward to seeing your next rendition of the Best 60.
    Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • Very nice! I really like the color. the weathering is very realistic.
  • Really well done. Highlights this incredible 3D print to great effect!
  • Beautiful job Aaron, the colouring and weathering looks terrific and those little extra touches make it unique to you.
    Very nice.
  • Really like what you did here. The additions really make it come to life.
  • Great work. What a fabulous detail, beautifully finished
  • Model of the Year!
  • Love your paint scheme.