visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

I am a huge fan of Brett's Sierra West works.

I started the love of trains when I was little. My folks got me the cheapest, crappy Lionel set with the circle of track. The engine promptly failed and was not replaced. My dad took me to see real railroads, by way of consolation. I am old enough to have seen the last of steam. I got a 4x8 foot layout with Atlas track (brass) and Athearn rubberband diesels. I disliked the whole set up due to unreliability, and briefly was involved with model airplanes and their high rate of attrition.
I was apprenticed to a machinist (at 10) and went to school. At 16 my apprenticeship was over. I went to college and got a degree in engineering, and one in Anthropology. I worked in aero space, and later high performance cars. While working for a company, I went to a great model train store in LA, and was delighted by all the brass steam locomotives!
I bought many, and built a 9 x 18 switching layout, subscribed to every model train magazine, and built a variety of structures, some great and some with no instructions, just a picture on the box! This was all in HO.
A neighbor down the block was also a model train buff, working in HO. We became friends, and I built him several FSM structures, and rewired his layout for him. We had a lot of fun. He was much older than I and eventually passed away.
His son who lived out of state, also a MRR, took all his train stuff, and dismantled his layout. I was saddened by this.
After the son left, my friends widow called and said my friend had left me a few boxes in their garage. Surprised, I went over, and the back of the garage had a stack of large boxes with labels like "old plaster", "Scrap wire" "Wood cut-offs" "rusty fasteners" etc.
All said "Phil" on them.
I opened up one of the boxes, expecting layout detritus, and found a trove of 2 rail O scale trains! I gratefully carted them off to my House. The boxes were full of his secret O scale collection. Lots of Max Gray, USH, PSC engines and cars. A pile of Intermountain car kits, and some older O scale structures!
Of course, I decided to change scales!
I knew about Sierra West from my HO days, and started looking at Brett's O scale offerings. His kits are amazing! I have never claimed to be a great structure builder, but Brett's kit's really make me look good!
I moved from LA to Arizona about 9 years ago, and recently completed my 24 x 48 foot train room. A layout is pending.
I have built some of the Sierra West kits, with Truck Repair still underway. Great stuff!
Right now, the structures are just dioramas, waiting for the layout.
Enjoy these kits!
P

Comments

• I love reading about how people get into this hobby. Welcome to this forum. Look forward to seeing what you've done. You are correct, Brett's kits are the best.
  • Welcome aboard. You'll find a very friendly bunch of guys here.

Do you have a name besides P?????

Jerry
  • P, when it comes to building structure kits, detailed castings, 3D printed details and mini kits, building education, forum, and , most important, personal help at all times, you are at the right place here. We are all huge fans of The Sierra West. NOBODY does it better.. ( sounds like the James Bond Spy Who Loved Me theme.. :blush: )

Anyways , browse the website, the gallery, the university and you'll understand why we are these huge fans !!!!

( btw, this is not a paid advertisement.. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: !!
  • Terrific back story, nice to see you here!
  • Welcome to the forum, it's great to have you here and to read how you got here.
    Indeed, Brett's kits and detail lines are the best in the hobby and provide us all with many hours of enjoyment.
    Look around, settle down and please show us what you are up to.

Karl. A
  • Phil, I hope you enjoy your time on the forum. There a lot of very talented builders here that are very happy to give you encouragement and advice. I know that my close to two years as a member have been enjoyable. Randy
  • Welcome Phil. This is a great place to learn from the hobbies best builders. By all means post what you are building.
  • Phil.
    Happy to see another Arizona resident join the ranks, Always great to see another O-Scale modeler with us. The Truck Repair is a personal favorite for many of us.
    Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • Welcome aboard, Phil

Terry
  • Welcome aboard sir.
  • edited November 2023
    Phil, as you will have noticed that while yes, as mentioned, we have many great builders here on the forum, we also have many new builders, or new to SierraWest kits.

As you will also have noticed there are many threads titled "My first SW build.... "
    So, any one, at any level, or any stage, we all help each other and we all learn together.
    We are all here to enjoy the hobby and hopefully improve at what we do.
  • Karl.A said:

Phil, as you will have noticed that while yes, as mentioned, we have many great builders here on the forum, we also have many new builders, or new to SierraWest kits.

As you will also have noticed there are many threads titled "My first SW build.... "
    So, any one, at any level, or any stage, we all help each other and we all learn together.
    We are all here to enjoy the hobby and hopefully improve at what we do.

although in certain instances (like karl) there's little room for improvement.