visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

SWSM 3D Printed New Product Information thread

edited September 2023 in New Product Information
... a quick note. This thread is for announcing and discussing new SWSM 3D Printed products. Please feel free to comment and ask questions about the topic at hand.

It is with great enthusiasm that I direct you to post pictures of your completed SWSM 3D Printed kits here:
http://www.craftsmankituniversity.com/vanforum/index.php?p=/discussion/1318/sierrawest-3d-printed-details-thread-show-off-your-3d-printed-details/p1

Comments

• Almost 40 years ago Charles H. Brommer introduced his now legendary white metal Machine Shop kits with a series of understated black and white ads in the Gazette. How could his mastery of meticulous research, creating brass patterns that are unrivaled to this day, or his amazing hand casting work be improved upon? Enter 3D Printed parts! Each 3D Printed part is an almost exact replica of those incredible brass masters. Each Machine is faithfully reproduced as Charlie intended them to be. They’re so easy to assemble and for the first time ever, available in HO Scale as well as the original O Scale. These machines are a joy to work with and are incredibly versatile. Over the coming months, I will be making the entire set available including the beautiful vertical boiler and single cylinder mill engine. The engine lathe gets us started and will be available later this month along with the beautiful “Farmall Regular” tractor kit. Be sure to sign up for my newsletter to be notified when these are available.

MT-500_sw
  • All signed up for the newsletter and at the starting line ready to go. What color paint are members finding makes a credible machine gray or machine green?
    Thanks, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • Dave I did all mine in green. Brian Nolan did his in gray. Your choice.

Brett that lathe looks awesome!! As usual you have lived up to Charlie's standards.

Jerry
  • edited September 2023
    Available later this month...

I just completed the pre-production test build and paint of the new 3DP Farmall Regular tractor for Brett.
    It went together beautifully and easily.

It looks great sitting next to the already available 3DP Farmall C showing the evolution of these wonderful machines.

s001
  • edited September 2023
    Jerry,
    Thanks for the reply. What brand and shade of green did you use for your machines? I worked one summer in a machine shop back in 1962. I had lots of weird assignments there but one was assembling keying and pinning equipment assortments for farm equipment. Those kits were sold through Sears. There were some machines in both colors in the shop. I wonder if colors varied by date of manufacture and manufacturer as well as country of origin.
    Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • Dave,
    I always use craft 'Cristmas Green' for my green machinery. It's scarey bright when you first put it on but it weathers down beautifully.
    I'll look for the grey I use on the others and let you know. I think it's "Drizzle Grey" but I'll double check for you.
  • Thanks Karl
  • Dave this what I used.
    In a 1/2 ounce bottle half filled with thinner (mineral spirits) I added 100 drops of Model Master medium green paint + 10 drops of Model Master flat black.
    You need to really mix it good and then apply it with a #4 shader brush. The small places I use a 00 round. Because its so thin I just keep added coats until I get the coloring I want.
  • Jerry,
    Thanks for your formula for machinery green paint.
  • Sept_duo2

Tomorrow, Saturday September 16th at 9am Central, both the Farmall Regular and 24 inch Engine Lathe will be available to order in HO and O Scales. I have a good stock of these on hand but like previous new SWSM 3D Printed kit offerings, they will go quickly.
  • Brett…. I think (hope) what your saying is your initial run of these items will go quickly….they aren’t “one and done” limited editions are they?
    Terry
  • In HO no less! That lathe will be a thing of beauty!! Charlie would be real proud of you Brett.

Jerry
  • Thanks Jerry. Before Charlie passed he was very interested in how I was going to cast the CHB boilers in resin instead of white metal. He agreed it was a better way. I think he would have been all over 3D Printing!

Terry, nope not a "one run" product. Way too much time goes into developing these 3D Printed projects to do that. Just not always in stock.
  • Beautiful prints! Can't get enough of this stuff.
  • Happiness is awaiting the shipment of the latest Farmall Regular Tractor and Machine Shop Lathe while the hot summer days linger on.
  • B60

The venerable BEST Sixty crawler was manufactured between 1919 and 1925 in San Leandro California by the C.L. Best Tractor Company. BEST would eventually merge with the Holt Caterpillar Co. in 1926 to create the Caterpillar Co. as we know today. The BEST Sixty would continue being manufactured until 1932 as the Caterpillar Sixty. The Sixty is the quintessential logging tractor and is a model I have always wanted to manufacture. I never imagined a technology would emerge that allows me to create a crawler with such incredibly accurate and fine detail. Wow she’s a real beauty! Pictured here is my unweathered production proof. I will have pictures of my fully painted and weathered pilot model shortly. Both HO and O scale 3D Printed kits will be available very soon. Be sure to sign up for my newsletter to be notified when these are available.
  • Awesome job with this print.
  • absolutely amazing! I am not sure how the kit is assembled, but you could might offer the engine/radiator,fuel tank on its' own for all sorts of power generation and power unit usage...
  • You really out did yourself this time buddy. That is amazing detail!!
  • EmeryJ said:

You really out did yourself this time buddy. That is amazing detail!!

I can't get over the sag in the top track

• I agree Emery, detail is amazing.
  • I did not catch that right off Ben. Now that really is spot on!!
  • Grate looking model Brett!!! How about adding an S scale for us guys here in St. Louis?Randy
  • that is awesome!
  • Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the support and comments. Really excited about this one!
  • BenPopper said:

absolutely amazing! I am not sure how the kit is assembled, but you could might offer the engine/radiator,fuel tank on its' own for all sorts of power generation and power unit usage...

Fantastic idea!

• that's an amazing detail!
  • Each time Brett comes out with one of these great pieces I can just imagine the competition saying “dang, dang, double dang….how sre we gonna ever catch up to this guy????”
    Terry
  • Just amazing. Can't wait to get one.
  • Now that is really amazing. The details keep getting better. Can anyone in the industry ever catch up with you. I'm afraid not!!

Jerry