visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Ray Knight - Minnesota

So, I guess I've been an armchair model railroader for the past 30 years. I finally got a start when we were all locked in during the Covid Pandemic, which coincided with retirement. I had admired the kits and Bretts website so I started with the Shipyard. I was very impressed with how much work went into putting a kit like that together, and also how cleverly it was done. I called Brett for some direction and he led me to the forum and all of the amazing contributors. I can't begin to thank all of you so much for the time contributing and responding in the build forums. Your work is unbelievable, and since I know no one in the hobby, it has been an invaluable resource. You guys are all really creative and again thank you for taking the time to share your knowledge and experience.

I will be attending the narrow gauge convention in Denver next week and would be thrilled to meet any of you.

Ray

Comments

• Welcome to the forum Ray. Hope to see some of your work.

Jerry
  • Welcome to the Forum
  • edited August 2023
    you're really gonna love it here. its the coolest....
    [edit] and it's usually busier than this.
  • Welcome to this great group of guys and modellers Ray,
    glad to have you join us and we look forward to you participating in the threads and hopefully sharing some of your work.
    Enjoy !!
  • Ray….welcome…ask or answer questions at will….we’re all just helping each other be better modelers
    Terry
  • Welcome sir.
  • Nice hearing from you Ray. Keep in touch and would enjoy seeing your work on the Shipyard.
  • Welcome aboard Ray. Great supportive bunch of modelers here. Look forward to your builds. I'm attending the Narrow Gauge Convention next week as well. Maybe our paths will cross.
  • The door is open Ray so join us. .....Carl.......
  • Welcome Ray !!
  • Welcome Ray. I am also from MN and will be in Denver at the NNGC. We are hosting the convention in the Twin Cities in 2026 and will have a table in the vendor room so stop by. Same to all others on the forum.
    I've built a few SWSM kits over the years and am dragging to the show. I'm sure you will see several of Brett's kits in the contest room there usually are and they often win a prize.
  • Ray, glad you've joined the forum. Lots of great information here. Hope to see your creations soon.
  • Great to see you here on the Forum Ray!
  • Welcome aboard.
  • Thank you all for the welcome. Ken, I'm going to attempt to put a few photographs of the Shipyard in this note. This was my first build of a sierra west kit, in fact my first feet wetting at model railroading. If I was to rate this it would be adequate, I am going to redo the landscaping, it's a little boring with one shade of dirt. I also made an attempt not to over weather/age anything. Brett's note in the book was that this was a working shipyard in good repair. In addition I think that the additional weathering requires some degree of experience I did not have at the time. One thing I can say is that I don't ever remember getting this much enjoyment out of anything. I did put an addition on the top of the garage for Model railroading but have not yet fully evicted the grandkids.Shipyard 1
    Shipyard 2
    Shipyard 3
    Shipyard 4
    Shipyard 5
  • Thats a great build Ray, you say this is "acceptable" that's an understatematent.
    Definitely a build to be proud of, and, your first?

""One thing I can say is that I don't ever remember getting this much enjoyment out of anything.""

I say that with every SierraWest kit I build... haha

Thanks for sharing your pics with us.
  • Excellent work for your first build
  • Outstanding job on a complex kit build. Proud of you!
  • Looks like you’ve found your calling! Excellent work Ray and glad you decided to post a few pictures. Well done.
  • Very nice indeed
    Terry
  • Great job! Keep’ ‘em comin’!
  • Very nice work! I think the weathering is nicely done. Thanks for sharing.
  • That is a right nice job on this model Ray! I hope you do some more of these. It is a pleasure to see such fine work.
  • A beautiful job on this. You should be very proud of it.

Jerry
  • That is not a easy kit to build good job ..Carl......
  • There may be more steps involved than a four wall laser cut kit but, all of Bretts kits are straight forward to build, if time is taken and the instructions are followed.
  • Karl, that about sums it up. Brett's build instructions are detailed, well thought out/documented, in a logical sequence, and certainly a benchmark for the industry. The templates are also a big help. I am very impressed with the quality of the kit, nothing is ambiguous, it's just perfect.