visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Getting them out of the boxes, Scotia Supply

A while ago I started a series "Getting them Out of the Boxes". I was going through my inventory and starting to build some older SW kits. I recently decided to build Scotia Supply because it is coming up on the 25th anniversary of its re-release. The re-release was October 1 1998 according to the date on the cover of the instruction manual. The original release was February 1996, but there were some changes made to the kit for the second release. As I recall the roof was changed for the second release. In any case I defer to others for more history.

I've always liked this kit and have wanted to build it, but other kits took preference. It's now time to build Scotia. This will not be a step by step build but rather a progression as I move along. Somewhere I recall seeing a version of this built with a covered dock on the left side of the building. I'm going to add something like that to the left side. I haven't decided if I'm going to add the chain link fenced in area or not. I'll have to see how it looks as I progress.

In any case here I go. The first floor stone/brick casting.
20230711_151622 R

20230711_151645 R

20230711_151712 R

20230711_151730 R

Comments

• Tom… I’m anxious to follow along on this one….stone work looks great
    Terry
  • Nice palette and great coloring on all!
  • I AGREE, THE STONE WORK LOOKS GREAT
  • Great looking start Tom, I'm also looking forward to following along with you.
    Stone and brick looking wonderful.
  • Nice coloring on the stonework!

Jerry
  • Off to an awesome start!
  • great start so far.
  • Nice start.
  • edited July 2023
    Great to see you building this kit Tom. Look forward to seeing you work your magic with it!
  • I join with the others Tom. Great stonework colouring!
  • Any seats left ? I'm in.. :smile:
  • Nice job on the stone Tom. What really caught my eye was the variation of brick colors. Gave me something to think about by not just a boring solid color. Thanks for sharing.
  • Thanks for the nice comments guys. The stonework was fun to do. I used the technique that I learned from building Morton's Foundry. I primed the walls with Rustoleum Khaki. Let dry, then I powdered various chalk colors and mixed them individually in alcohol. Just paint various individual stones with the different chalk colors. When dry I put a wash of A/I over the whole wall. The trick is to dab the A/I on and not paint it on. Dabbing it on doesn't smear the individual colors. Simple and effective. You can vary the intensity of the chalk by how much alcohol you add to the powdered chalk.
  • Thanks for the explanation, Tom…. I’ll be adding that to my book of Tips, Tricksand Techniques
    Terry
  • My 2 cents for posterity: As I recall, the manual calls for 9 different chalk colors on these stone walls so I made up 9 containers of chalk and “painted” the stones, trying to use each color as often as the others. But I used one other container for the alcohol I used with the chalks. Over the course of painting the walls, all 9 of the colors washed off every time I dipped the brush in for more alcohol. Since the walls with 9 colors needed to be muted and toned down, I used this sediment as a kind of wash. I think it turned out great as I was really happy with the subtle variations.
  • I just used 3 colors of chalk, 2 grey, 704.5, 704.7, and 409.5 a brown. I use a coffee can lid for a palette. I powder the chalk on the lid in little piles then add clear alcohol to the pile, varying the amount of alcohol varies the intensity of the color on the stone. As for the final wash of A/I, I just dab it on a spot only once, otherwise the previously applied chalk colors will run. Don't rub it on.
    Chalk Pallette R
  • Am I thinking correctly that you don’t clean your brush between colors?….also afds to the color variation
    Terry
  • Terry,
    I just wipe the brush on a paper towel to remove most of the color between colors. Not sure what "afds" is, but the intensity of the color can be varied by the amount of clear alcohol added to the chalk. The more alcohol, the lighter the color etc.
  • Afds is my old man fingers typing on a phone keyboard….should have read ‘adds’
  • Thanks for the explanation. I have similar fingers. I usually use my computer and still have those problems.
  • One of the reasons I went from HO to O....Eyes got too small, and fingers got too big...
  • The wood walls. I wire brushed them, then stained them with A/I. When dry I damp brushed them with green paint. After that dried, I went over the walls with steel wool, and 120 grit sand paper very lightly to remove a little paint from the high spots to mimic weathered siding.

The trim and windows/doors were also brushed and stained with A/I then damp brushed with white.
    20230711_151248 R
    20230711_151159 R
    20230711_151051 R
  • Walls look wonderful Tom. I like the muted green color, nicely weathered contrasting well with the old white trim.
  • Walls trim and windows look great Tom...
    Aged but not dilapidated, some good weathering effects but not ready to fall down.
    You are doing a great job on this so far.
  • I will echo the above !! Nice work !!
  • Thanks for the nice comments. I wanted a weathered look, just in need of a little maintenance.
  • Mission accomplished Tom! Look forward to the next update.
  • Looks fantastic, color combo is great!
  • Here's the latest on Scotia.
    20230804_155402 R

20230804_155412 R

20230804_155647 R
  • Looking terrific Tom! Look forward to seeing this project come together.