visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

#315 - Water Tank and Handcar Maintenance Shed - Official Build - Karl. A

Comments

• Outstanding. Looks fantastic. Can't wait to see the walls with the brickwork colored and weathered.
  • Stone is excellent sir.
  • I can’t believe how realistic your stonework looks!
  • Looks good Karl. I am about to the color stage on my build. I need to talk to Rich to see what color he wants the stones to be for his layout. If it were going on my layout I would use siennas and umbers. Keep up the good work. Randy
  • Nice stonework! Coloring is very subtle yet cohesive.
  • Thanks guys, I'm real happy with the result, I was a little nervous about halfway through but kept going and the final result is just what I wanted.

Thanks Ken, Bryan, Emery, Alan and Tom, I tried to keep the colour changes subtle as I didnt want to end up with a suburban garden wall look.
    Thanks Art and Randy, I used siennas, umber, and a pewter grey.

Thanks Brett, you and me both, unfortunately that's going to have to wait until tomorrow, it wasn't a good work day... ha

More tomorrow.

• edited November 2022
    You know that's a great idea writing down the colors next to a color swatch at the back of the manual. I never remember the colors I've used and am never successful when I try to repeat colors I like. Karl's ability to look back at prior posts is great if I posted enough but work always gets in my way. Thanks for the tips.
  • Basic brick colour applied, further weathering and special effects will be added just before installation so they dont get messed up, for now it goes up on the shelf with the other completed components.
    I also painted in the window sills and headers (stone) and then painted the lip for the windows black.

Next in the manual is building the shed floor and then gluing walls together.
  • Looks fantastic. Really love the colors
  • Spot on! Beautiful casting.
  • edited November 2022
    Thanks so much Art, Jim and Ken, I'm real happy with everything.
    glandesjr said:

Isn't it amazing how the walls go together and you can't even see the seams? You don't get any better than that. George

Indeed George, Brett's castings and their quality are the absolute best, marry that to the unrivalled manual, and then, all we as modellers need to do is follow the instructions to get outstanding results...
  • This is so good! I really love the results and the educational approach of your posts Karl! There’s much to take in for a newbie like myself and I can’t tell you how inspired I get from this. Those walls look awesome. I originally thought to do mine with the techniques Brett describes in the Foundry manual (painting with pastels) but I might reconsider after seeing this. Beautiful, just beautiful. And what drew my eye is that structure in the background. Very curious how that will build up!
  • You are right to be happy with it. It will steal the scene.
  • Thanks Jeroen, so rewarding and thankful to read you get something from my posts.
    Thanks Bryan, much appreciated.

Jeroen, I sent you the link for the build thread of the brick structure in the background.
  • Thanks Karl, highly appreciated!
  • Spent some time today laying down the floorboards for the shed and car area.
    It's now sitting next to me under weights until tomorrow as instructed, waiting for the walls to be added and then weathered some more when I know where the details will go. I'll also add some oil spills down the tracks and in the work area etc.

• Nice work on the stone and brick. Looking forward to the weathering on that.

Nice base coloring on that floor. And can't wait to see those dirty footprints all over it!!!

Jerry
  • Very interested in seeing how the weathering comes out here Karl. I know it will be great.
  • “Dirty footprints”? Don’t give him any ideas! Probably too late….
  • ALCO said:

“Dirty footprints”? Don’t give him any ideas! Probably too late….

<'wink'>

• Excellent color on the rocks and bricks. The rocks have a nice depth with the light and dark gray colors. Did you do a lighter gray first and then come back and dry brush a darker gray? However you did it it looks great. Randy
  • This is looking great, Karl. The brickwork and stone walls have perfect coloring and you nailed the bricks and mortar. The flooring also looks spot on. Can't wait to see what it looks like with the walls. Do you add tracks or is it without tracks?
  • The floor looks great...this is an area that I have a few ideas on.....once I get to that point....we shall see.....I like you tend to wait till I know detail placement before I weather and ware much....the coloring looks great.....
  • That floor is going to look awesome once dirtied up and the walls planted!
  • Interested in how you did the coloring on the rock work as well!
  • Karl.A said:

CORRECTION .... I ERRED

When mounting the drill press I should have first mounted the drill to a vertical board and then mounted this to the wall. To create a solid base for the drill.

I'm not going to try and pry mine off now and redo it as it is such a fragile piece.

Just something to watch out for if you are following along before building your own.
    The process is detailed in item 6 on page 33, I got ahead of myself and missed it.

karl,
    you can carefully dab alcohol where you epoxied the drill and gently wiggle it. it may take two or three applications of the alcohol, but it has worked for me in a similar situaton.
    sorry this is so behind the times. i haven't had my laptop in a week and a half.

• Karl, this is truly outstanding modeling. Cheers to you and a lovely very complete kit. The drill press is a slayer!
  • Thanks Kev, but its too fragile to mess with.
    Thanks Eric.
  • Hi Karl

Its been some time since I've been to the forums. And what a pleasant surprise to see this build of yours. As always, your work is top drawer.

Going back now to read the thread from the beginning again.

Hope you are well bud.