visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

#315 - Water Tank and Handcar Maintenance Shed - Official Build - Karl. A

Comments

• Well Karl, you are doing it again. what a fantastic creation.
  • This whole composition is a pleasure. Great work Karl.
    Jens
  • edited April 2023
    Thanks so much Steve and Jen,
    This build has been amazing to work through for me, the level of the SierraWest kits just keeps getting better and better, hard to imagine, but true.

As with all SW kits, when you think you are getting close to the finish you realize that there are still another 40 or so details left to do and place.

So today I got those details finished up, unfortunately I did a few "tweezer flicks" so, there are a few of the included hand tools missing from these pics, I'll find them when I clear my desk up.

Next thing to do was glue the doors on that I built last week, they should be good and dry by now... haha

Once the doors were 'signed' and installed I placed the removeable roof on for a 'look-see' to see how amazing it all looked.

I then started going around the diorama and adding in the last details I'd just finished, some scraps of wood to fill in the scenes and the small hand tools.
    I'll go back and add rags, I just couldnt find any 'tissue paper' to use today.

I also added the final details to the water tank itself, the fill pipe (still without it's valve handle) the water level gauge and the weights to the chains.

And then just kept going around scene by scene adding some of the final details.

I think all I have left to do is, rags, the ladder, and to finish the track work off.

So, so close...
  • Really looks amazing. What a great job on a great kit.
  • Everything looks so natural.

I will say I enjoy the level of detail in the printed hand tools but I did miss having metal ones such as hammers and wrenches.
  • Outstanding. Love the finishing details so much.

So those little metal tools I have included in my O Scale kits for years are great but if I charged what it cost me to produce them they would be about $2 each. So much time involved due to the low yield!
  • edited April 2023
    Absolutely brilliant. The layout of all those details, the painting and weathering, the colors… it just blends in so perfectly and still has this richness. This is art. Real art. I so much would like to see that I the flesh.
  • edited April 2023
    Great work! I love all the details and yours look so natural. Each time I look at the photos I see more detail work.
  • that's an amazing build of an amazing kit.
  • Looking really good Karl.....I'm trying to get back in gear.....trying.....
  • Just love your work it is brilliant.
  • edited April 2023
    Thanks so much guys, Jim, Bryan, Brett, Jeroen, Tom, Kevin, Art and Kevin, great to hear from you all and for all of the positive and supportive comments, and everyone else who has joined in the thread.

I just got this beauty and amazing kit over the finish line to completion.
    Hopefully tomorrow the weather will be good enough for me to take some 'finished pics' outside.
  • edited July 2023
    Last update, before the finals tomorrow.

I made 100 spikes, (I know, it doesn't look like it, but, that's 100 right there.)

I then blackened the newly made spikes and also the rail.

The rails were epoxied to the ties and the spikes patiently waited for 20 mins to be installed.

Once the rails and spikes were inplace I blended the track into the scene.

I put more oil spills and such on the track in front of the tank structure itself as I figure that's where the loco will be stationary and spend the most time and faded it out in both directions.

Thanks for following and all the comments along the way.

(yeah, I'll glue that door back on I knocked off, before I take the final pics tomorrow. ha.)

(i also just noticed one of the spikes is side ways, I'll fix that too. Pics never lie and show up so many things to be done.)
  • Wonderful work on this kit. Gives me something to aspire to as I work through Foss Landing and the Shipyard. Your log will be most helpful when I get to scenery and layour of all the "junk" ad barrels.

Jeff
  • Jaw dropping and at the same time up to your usual high standards. Such a treat to watch.
  • Thanks so much Jeff and Joel, very satisfying to read you both.

I went outside for some finished pics, I'm not real thrilled with the 'overall view' shots of the diorama/structure but I didn't have much time with the lighting and setup.
    I am happy with how some of the close ups came out.

So, here we go...

• edited April 2023

Such an amazing kit, lots of new details, new techniques and just plain greatness to enjoy.

Congrats to Brett on producing yet another masterpiece of a kit that once again takes modeling to another level.
  • S U P E R B !
  • Holy crap, this is awesome. Great job Karl, it looks fantastic.
  • Stunning!
  • So well done Karl. Nothing better than photos in real daylight. It is indeed a fantastic kit with great details. Question for Brett: is this building after an existing model?
  • that turned out spectacular and i can't wait to get mine. it's going right to the front of the line. it might not even make it to the shelf. from mailbox to workbench!
  • Truly inspiring. Thanks for taking the time to share your incredible work.
  • Incredible! I love looking at all the details and how you have incorporated them into the scene.
  • Wow, fantastic work Karl.
  • I love everything about it. Your builds are always inspirational.
  • edited April 2023
    Thank you all so much for your very kind words.
    This is an amazing kit and I loved every minute of the build.
    Lots of new techniques to keep the hobby progressing and the 3DP details are just amazing.

Another masterpiece of a kit from Brett and I cant wait to see many more builds of this kit being shared here on the forum

Thanks to you all for the comments and support throughout my build thread, that is really appreciated by me,
    and it's also appreciated by the other builders who share their work with us in the other threads.

Thanks to Brett for producing the best kits available to us.
  • Catching up on the final reveal...Whaaat...Absolutely gorgeous! Flawless execution...nuff said.
  • How did I miss this?!? Looks amazing