visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

The Shipyard at Foss' Landing - Build Log

Comments

• edited June 2023
    gjdale said:

I have to admit to being a little surprised to hear that you both add ballast before the rails - too late to change that now I guess.

It's not a big problem for you now. Lots of people ballast premade track (with rail in place) and do amazing work.

When hand laying ties and rails I just find it easier to get the ballast how I like it without the rails in the way, I just find it an easier way to work because there is more access and it also doesn't discolour the rail weathering.
    It's easy enough to touch up afterwards, so no big deal.

As I said, it's just my way, not the right way.
    Keep on keeping on.
  • Thanks Karl,

Yes, I’d have to say that I “discovered” why you do the ballast first when I went to do it. As you say, not a big problem, but would have been much easier without the rails in place.

I’ve completed ballasting and have commenced some secondary texturing and placement of some structures as a prelude to creating the individual scenes. I’ll make a more substantial post when I have something worthwhile to look at.
  • While I'm reasonably happy with the way my ground is building up, I'm having difficulty placing the castings.

In the belief that the only "dumb" question is the one not asked, can I ask what glue you guys use to attach the castings (both resin and metal) to the scenery base (ie the ground)?
  • More often than not I use wood glue to attach castings to the ground, no matter what type
  • Yes, wood glue is fine and if you need to re-position a casting, just wet the area with alcohol to loosen the glue
  • I do the same as Brian and Alan have stated.
  • The manual suggests to place a drop of white glue to secure the castings, sinking them down into the wet scenery base. Simple and effective, been doing this for 50 years.
  • Thanks guys - I’ll go back and try that again. Just thought I’d check as white glue doesn’t usually stick to either plastic or metal. I guess in this case the glue isn’t taking any real “load” so holds well enough for the purpose.

I clearly need to practice/refine my technique for sinking them into the wet base. I’ll return once I’ve got this aspect sorted and have something worthwhile to show.
  • edited June 2023
    Make sure the ground is soaked and soft, then just wiggle in the details. You can always just add a drop of dilute white glue with a pipette next to the details if you are worried about 'security', and a little 'pinch' of ground cover around them to blend, but, I've never had an issue with anything coming loose...
    As you say, once they are in and dried they wont get touched again so no stress on the glue.
  • Holy cow….seriously good looking castings
    Terry
  • Thanks again for the additional advice guys. I went back in and re-wet some areas and scraped away some of the ground, before replacing it and sinking the castings into the ground again, using the white glue as advised. This time it seemed to work okay.

To backtrack a little first (pardon the pun!), the next task was to add the ballast to the rail tracks. I quickly discovered why most of you add the ballast before laying the tracks – it would have been much easier that way! Nevertheless, it didn’t prove to be too difficult. Once the ballast was down, I was able to start adding a secondary layer to the base, including the suggestion of some grass along the outer fence line. (The fence will be added in much later, but for the moment the holes for the fence posts are plugged with some scraps). The loading docks for the main building were also glued in place at this stage. In the picture below, one of the docks is being weighted down while the glue dries.

379 Rail Tracks 5

The next task was to create the Steam Box scene. In addition to the placement of the steam box, boiler and hand cart, I added a pile of sawdust that has been created from the blower under the saw table. As this is great fuel for the boiler furnace, a shovel can be seen in the saw dust pile. Several scraps of wood are also scattered about under the steam box.

380 Steam Box Scene

It was then time to place some previously prepared castings around the Upper Yard shed. I struggled with this at first but eventually managed to refine my technique to get the castings embedded in the ground. Here is a series of shots from all four sides of the Upper Yard Shed.

381 Upper Yard Shed 1

382 Upper Yard Shed 2

383 Upper Yard Shed 3

384 Upper Yard Shed 4

Continued in the next post...
  • Continued from previous post...

The Saw Shed itself was enhanced by the addition of some freshly delivered lumber that has just been unloaded from the rail siding and stacked, ready for processing.

385 Saw Shed 1

The back of the Saw Shed received a few castings, as well as a little shrubbery.

386 Saw Shed 2

The opposite end of the Saw Shed received a few scraps of lumber off-cuts after processing in the shed.

387 Saw Shed 3

In the above picture and the next, you can also see the beginnings of the entry road, which includes creating a crossing for the rail line. There is more work to be done on this.

388 Entry Road

The Derrick Dock will be the next to receive some detailing before the main buildings are placed and the details added around it. Still a long way to go, but I’m fairly happy with progress thus far.

I'd like to once again acknowledge the excellent tutorials/discussion threads by Karl Allison and Ken Karns - they have been an invaluable supplement to Brett's excellent instruction manual. Thank you both and also the rest of you who have been chiming in with well-timed advice and suggestions.
  • " More work to be done " ... means more fun to be had.. This is looking very good; well done !!
  • “I'd like to once again acknowledge the excellent tutorials/discussion threads by Karl Allison and Ken Karns - they have been an invaluable supplement to Brett's excellent “

Oh so true…..previous build threads are invaluable….paired with Brett’s unparalleled construction manuals is a huge assist in a successful project
    Terry
  • Great job Grant. It's all coming together quite nicely. Are you going to incorporate Foss Landing into the Shipyard or make 2 separate dioramas?

And I agree wholeheartedly with you last statement. The tutorials from the folks here at Sierra West have really helped with this Foss Landing. And your build log will be a great reference when I start the Shipyard.

Jeff
  • edited June 2023
    Thanks very much Robert, Terry and Jeff.

A couple of “housekeeping” items to begin with. Firstly, I built an extra ladder and hung it on the side of the Saw Shed using a couple of “S” hooks I made from brass wire.

389 Saw Shed Ladder

Then the Bumper was added to the end of the rail tracks. This is made from some scrap dowel.

390 Bumper

Two lamps/lamp posts are required. I found what I believe to be one lamp among the metal castings, but only one. It also requires a piece of brass wire attaching to it to form the lamp post lamp. Faced with the dual problem of being short one lamp and securely fixing wire to a white metal casting, I opted to make a pair of new lamps by turning them from brass rod on my lathe.

In the picture below you can see my new lamps on the left, with the blackened original casting on the right.

391 Lamps 1

While I was turning these, I also bored out the back end to accept a 1.6 mm (1/16”) diameter brass wire. I then silver soldered the wire to the lamps. Here they are cleaned up and ready for blackening.

392 Lamps 2

The lamp posts were made from 7/32” (~5.5mm) diameter dowel (The instructions don't specify what thickness they should be - this is just what I had to hand). The blackened and buffed lamps were epoxied into holes drilled in the dowel and are shown below temporarily in place in the diorama. (The Telegraph pole can also be seen in the background).

393 Lamps 3

In the photograph, the poles look a little over-thick, although in the flesh they seem okay. I don’t know whether this is just a trick of the camera lens, or whether I need to redo the lamp posts. Grateful for any thoughts/advice on this one.

With these tasks complete, I was able to proceed to detailing the Derrick Dock. Here are a series of photographs of the detail in this scene.

The end of the dock, with the shed and the Derrick both in place. The Derrick has since been removed for safe keeping until the diorama is complete.

394 Derrick Dock 1

An overview from the pit side of the dock (minus Derrick)

395 Derrick Dock 2

Looking down at the inboard end of the shed.

396 Derrick Dock 3

A closer look at the inner end of the dock.

397 Derrick Dock 4

And another view of the shed area.

398 Derrick Dock 5

I’ve also done a little more work on the entrance road, adding some hint of vegetation growing between the wheel tracks. It looks like someone has just arrived to check on progress….

399 Entry Road 2

The final task for the day was to glue the main building in place. Detailing the various scenes around the main building will commence tomorrow.

• That's coming along fantastic!
  • I don't know what part of the 'build' I like most, the construction or the creation of the several scenes. You're doing a great job on both !!!
  • Very nicely done!

Jerry
  • Thank you very much Mike, Robert and Jerry.

A picture-heavy update, so I'll split this across two posts.

With the “groundwork” complete, it was time to start placing the remainder of the castings around the main building and docks. In doing so, I’ve used the pictures in the instruction manual as a general guide to placement, without copying it exactly. We start with the area outside the Sales Office. Once the castings were in place, the Sales Office Porch was added. This was built in the usual way over a provided template. A two-step set of stairs was also added. In the picture below, I have also added the old truck in its final place.

400 Sales Office Porch

The stairway to the upper storey was then build and added. A set of three laser-cut stringers are provided in the kit, along with a cutting guide for the stair treads. I got so engrossed in what I was doing that I forgot to take any “in-progress” pics of this process but it was a straight forward one.

401 Stairway

Prior to placing the stairs, the area underneath the stairs was detailed with the workbench and other items various. The workbench was a one-piece casting painted earlier, but legs and bracing were needed prior to final placement. I’ve also added a few scraps of timber under the bench.

402 Under Stairs

The left Loading Dock was next. Again, the shelving unit was a one-piece casting painted earlier. All other items are individual castings.

403 Left Loading Dock

Next we move onto the area outside the Yard Master’s Office. I obtained a set of HO Scale figures from Woodland Scenics and have used some of these to add some more life to the diorama. The set of figures I bought was a Carpenter’s Crew. Here I have modified one (by cutting the saw off of his hand) to represent the Yard Master examining the ship’s plans.

404 Yard Masters Office

Then it’s on to the end of the Main Dock. Looks like a lot of inventory has been delivered recently.

405 Main Dock 1

And from another angle.

406 Main Dock 2

The rear of the Yard Master’s Office also houses a range of parts and clutter.

407 Yard Masters Office Rear

The right Loading Dock also gets its share of paraphernalia.

408 Left Loading Dock

The fence line is now added, complete with “rising damp” as suggested by a Karl.

409 Fence Line

Continued next post...
  • Continued from previous post...

A few extra dock yard maties were selected from the Carpenter’s crew and placed in the overall scene. This chap is carrying a load of freshly cut timber over to the ship.

410 Dock Yard Matey 1

Two more are at work on the ship itself.

411 Dock Yard Matey 2

And here’s a close-up of one of these two.

412 Dock Yard Matey 3

Here then are a few “spin” shots showing the overall diorama from all angles. The design of this kit is so clever, that there is no “front” side – take your pick!

413 Overview 1

414 Overview 2

415 Overview 3

416 Overview 4

417 Overview 5

418 Overview 6

419 Overview 7

420 Overview 8

One thing I didn’t mention earlier, but can be seen in the above photos, is that I wasn’t happy with the light poles or telegraph pole, so I re-made these all from 1/8” dowel (the manual actually specified this for the telegraph pole, so I figured the light poles must be similar).

The last task remaining (other than a little touch up here and there) is to pour the “water”. While I’m a little apprehensive about this as there is no going back, the instructions have very little to say about it, other than following the resin manufacturer’s instructions and doing a little test first. I’ve learned along the way that when the instruction manual does not go into great detail, then the process is generally straight forward. (Famous last words).

I'll see you on the other side of the pour......

Grant
  • Great work Grant!
    For the water, there are some videos on Woodland Scenics website that might be helpful.

Jeff
  • I recommend in the manual to use Envirotex resin and strongly urge you to not use any "hobby" brand name of "water". I know many customers who have had issues with other products. Serious issues. Other methods exist for making great looking water, including other builds on this forum. I am only mentioning this in light of the comment directly above.
  • edited June 2023
    Turned out very nice! Your use and placement of details is very good. I particularly like the photo with the worker looking at the plans with the rolled up sails on the rack.
  • Thanks very much Jeff, Brett and Tom.

Brett - fear not, I have already purchased the Envirotex resin as recommended in your instructions. :smiley:

I’m just waiting on delivery of some 1/8” ply (aircraft grade) to make the edge/dam. Hopefully will arrive this week.
  • Excellent! This is going to be a beautiful diorama!
  • Great progress Grant, things are really coming together now.
  • Thanks once again for all the encouraging comments.

To complete the diorama, I added an external frame of 3mm plywood, that doubles as a dam for the resin water. Once glued in place, I sealed the inside joins with silicone and then used automotive masking tape to reinforce all of the seams before pouring the resin. I'm using Envirotex Lite Resin as recommended in the instruction manual. I did several small test pours with varying combinations of paint to tint the “water’, before settling on a mix of Vallejo Dark Prussian Blue and Black in about a 5:1 ratio.

With the testing complete, it was time to take the ‘no turning back’ step and actually pour the water. All seems to have gone well. The pictures below were taken about two hours after the pour. All bubbles seem to have sorted themselves out and I have “embraced the creep”. Not sure yet whether I will apply some paint along the shoreline to change the colour there a little. The other thing I’m not yet sure about is whether or not to attempt adding some texture to the water surface using either a Woodland Scenics product or an AK Interactive product. I’m open to thoughts on this. Here are the photos with the resin still curing.

421 Water 1

422 Water 2

423 Water 3

Once I’ve made those final decisions, I’ll take off the tape and take some final “glam” shots. In the meantime, I'd value your input on whether or not to attempt the surface texture and if so, what product to use for this purpose.

Grant
  • I love the overhead shot showing the ship skeleton.

I would definitely add texture to the water. I'd use a gloss medium/gel, something like Golden. There are also lots of commercial water products out there from AK and the like.
  • Great job on the envirotex pour. I would personally take the advice brownbr has offered.