visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Return to HO

edited October 2011 in HO Scale Builds
Returning to HO for the next couple of projects will take some 'adjustment' and refocussing.
However I'm real happy with these results so far, it will prove to be an interesting couple of months at the workbench indeed.

Karl.A

Comments

• Karl

Well I wish you would have stayed with the O-Scale. I'll still follow you through with this project.

So far excellent!!!!

Jerry
  • Thanks Jerry!
    Personally, I'll be sticking with the O scale, you can expect to see alot more of that scale from me in the future.
    I'll be carrying on progress with my own O scale builds in my spare time while I'm fortunate enough to help out a little on these HO projects .

Karl.A

• Care to share which techniques you applied to these castings? Also, any chance any of these castings are from the upcoming HO kits?
  • If I didn’t recognize some of the castings, I wouldn’t have thought twice if you stated they were O scale. As MikeM asked – a short non-fiction tome would be really appreciated!
  • edited October 2011
    Mike, these are a small selection fom the new HO Lineside kit.

Thanks for the great compliment Kaz.

I'll certainly put an explanation together for you both, however it will probably be after I return from the Expo, not much spare time over the next few days.

Karl.A
  • superb workmanship Karl
  • Your techniques are outstanding which is why I'd like to see more detail. Frankly I'd recommend they be added to the Craftsman University section of this site; Brett has never seemed to have the time to flesh that out and it showed such early promise...
  • Returning to HO...
    Shenanigans! *grin* Looking forward to all of your upcoming posts regardless of scale.

I've been away from the hobby for much of the past year but managed to get down to the Peabody show this past weekend. I wasn't going to buy anything but Brett managed to sell me BlueSky in O-Scale (and I have a couple more kits coming from him next month for my collection). Hoping for a long winter so I can actually start building something. I also need to finish track-laying on my Dad's On30 layout.

- JT

• Not sure where to post this, but I trust Karl A. will tell me. Does anybody out there know the footprint dimensions of the HO version of Blue Sky Co. warehouse? It was Brett's first kit over 15 years ago, and later repeated as a limited edition
    Karl A. that is some beautiful work on those castings.
  • edited October 2011
    Does anybody out there know the footprint dimensions of the HO version of Blue Sky Co. warehouse?
    From page 6 of the awesome build thread on the Railroad Line forum, it's about 10-1/2 x 6-1/2 inches, which looks to include the loading docks, porches and outside stairway (excluding the outbuildings).

Build Thread: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22208

Also, thanks to google, I found the original web page on Brett's site for the HO BlueSky Co.: http://www.sierrawestscalemodels.com/ckits/101/101.htm
  • UncleJT- Thanks for doing my research for me. Much appreciated! A great thread with the work of some great modelers like Mike Chambers, Brian Nolan. Great reading from KP, etc.
  • edited November 2011
    These parts were done quickly to show the four steps taken to get the results. The effects are over emphasized to show the stages more clearly.

For resin...

Spray the part with flat black rattle can for the base.
    Paint the top colours you choose with acrylic craft paint.
    Use a wire brush to chip and remove the top coat where required.
    Dust the chipped areas with rust coloured chalk on a small detail brush.

For metal...

Blacken the part using something like A-West 'Blacken-it'.
    Paint the top colours you choose with acrylic craft paint.
    Use a wire brush to chip and remove the top coat where required and reblacken to remove any shiney spots
    Dust the chipped areas with rust coloured chalk on a small detail brush.

Karl.A
  • great tutorial... very easy to replicate!
  • Good little painting / weathering tutorial Karl. Thanks.
  • awsome job on those castings
  • Karl,
    Personally it is hard to believe these are HO castings, both resin and metal. It is just amazing what both you and Brett are capable of doing with such small items. The details are just stunning. Of course I will give your techniques a try. By now I have some of Brett castings to work with.

Great stuff, thanks for sharing.
  • Thanks for the kind words Mirko, great to hear from you.
    Size really is relative, it's all in the techniques, follow the instructions, get comfortable, relax and most of all have fun.

Karl.A
  • I'm really glad I checked out your return. Thanks so much for the short tutorial. It is so easy and such great results. I'm working on removing some drums and tanks from my dio and starting over on the weathering. Your craftsmanship is outstanding!

Dave
  • I like the blacken it solution but I have no idea where to get it here in the netherlands

DJ
  • Try a local jewelers or jewelers supplier DJ. I believe that this is the industry from where Brett first came up with the concept and brought it to the modeling world.

Take a casting with you so that you can try the solution on it and ensure it works for what you are needing. The reaction should be pretty instantaneous.

Karl.A
  • Thanks for your reply Karl, I gonna give it a try

DJ