visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

SUNCOAST CENTER for fine modeling is closing

Comments

• wow!
    thanks for the explanation. are the details scratch built?
  • I don't know how much is scratch built entirely, what comes from a kit and what might be available RTR, I'd imagine it is a mix of all three relying heavily on scratch building. The community of modelers involved is/was/had been pretty deep
  • Great pics Ben, I cant find my other pics of the actual layout itself, although I know I have a bunch of them from over the years.

So, I'm going to sit back and enjoy looking at your great shots for now.
    Nice angles and photography !
  • Love all the shots.

Fn3 is exactly what I say when I need 6 of something but only have half of what I need.
  • brownbr said:

Love all the shots.

Fn3 is exactly what I say when I need 6 of something but only have half of what I need.

scaotp (Spit Coffee All Over The Place)!!!

• Karl.A said:

Great pics Ben, I cant find my other pics of the actual layout itself, although I know I have a bunch of them from over the years.

So, I'm going to sit back and enjoy looking at your great shots for now.
    Nice angles and photography !

Thanks! I've got a few more groups to post from other areas of the layout I really enjoyed. Metering them out. Also, in response to your comment on the previous page about Dave moving things around. I didn't know that. It explains discrepancies I had noticed and I really appreciate that now that I go back and look at other pictures from other people/times.

• I've been to the Center several times and it is a very sad thing it will be closing. I have close friends on the team and they are working hard to find homes for all of the incredible models. In addition to the railroads and dioramas in several scales there are many of the finest military models, Star Wars model props from the movies, and also famous layouts like the Silverton Central by Jon Addison and the Muskrat Ramble from Geoff Nott and his team from Australia.

I had a several page article in the July/August 2021 issue of the "Narrow Gauge and Short Line Gazette" a year ago entitled "A Tribute to Brian Nolan". It is of course about Brian- one of the best modelers and best human beings I've ever known, but also about the Sundance Central and the Suncoast Center for Finescale Modeling and how Dave Revelia and his team put it all together.

A couple of photos of a very small piece of the Sundance. I had built a 1:20 scale model of the dynamite shack on Brett's Twin Mills for Dave as he was pressed for time finishing his sawmill similar to Brett's famous HO Kit in time for the St. Louis NNGC ten years ago.
    When it didn't fit he and Frank Palmer sawed it in half and repurposed it as a tribute to Brian. It is shown as it is on the layout- the beautiful wagon in front was built by Richard Schmitt.

The website for the Center is www.finescalemodeling.org and there are several videos of the Sundance Central on YouTube. My favorite is this link: https://www.you-tube.com/watch?v=UPHASpKgRtQ&feature=youtu.be.

I've heard that unofficially they are going to be open the next three Saturdays. If you are interested in owning a piece of modeling history you could probably contact them through their website. Bring your pocketbook.

Gazette 12

Gazette 16
  • What I would not give for that wagon works! That is such an excellent model. I have seen another picture of it in the past, and always wondered where it resided. It will be a superb addition to someones layout.
  • Mike can you verify the next three weeks of the Suncoast being open. I am going to be in Florida starting the 12th. Thanks Randy
  • edited June 2022
    Randy, I'll ask my contact there if he knows anything. The Sundance Central is full of tiny little scenes packed with just the right amount of detail. The picture below of the middle of the tracks with a light pole is a good example. Every place you stood was a lesson in how to make a scene look real. I am also infatuated with that red drovers caboose.

51906067875_1e3e8dca75_c
    51905747619_77ea9e3dc2_c
    51905513253_ffd638d77a_c
    51906064780_94dc437232_c
    51905432351_223de37ffb_c
    51905432121_a888a043e0_c
    51905745814_60257e0ab2_c
  • Thanks Ben for checking for me. I would really like to see it again. Randy
  • Per Dave R. the center is not opening for any further weekends.
  • Sorry folks- I had some wrong information. Unfortunately the Center will not be open.
  • OK, thanks for the information. Randy
  • I wonder if they sold the the Fn3 layout? They were asking 90 thousand for it and someone was coming out to look at it.
  • I'd pay 90 Fn3 thousand.

Sorry, the joke's not old for me yet.
  • brownbr said:

I'd pay 90 Fn3 thousand.

Not old for me too! Hah!

• Great pics, thanks so much for those Ben.
  • brownbr said:

I'd pay 90 Fn3 thousand.

yer killin' me....
  • thanks Ben formore fantastic pictures
  • edited June 2022
    Thanks Ben.
    More great pics from you bringing back many great memories for me of seeing the layout in person several times.

Keep them coming !!

Thanks again.
  • 90 Thousand Dollars was the asking Price!!!! for the Sundance Central Layout......Did someone buy it yet???
  • No.

More pics from around Brians Machine shop dio.

• Thanks Karl and Ben….
    Terry
  • A Sunday morning turntable set. I've got two more little groups to post after this. I love the sewer grate in the center of the turntable.

51905430326_8df40a37a9_c
    51905744139_5f5df51430_c
    51905429881_d239558304_c
    51905509573_b46dd73d63_c
    51906061565_4cc7988e9e_c
  • So many wonderful photos, thank you all !!
    Each set a glossary of detail and modeling excellence. So much to view and learn from that this will be an excellent reference for us all.
    Thanks guys for taking the time to post your photos, so appreciated,
    --Paul
  • CraigH said:

90 Thousand Dollars was the asking Price!!!! for the Sundance Central Layout......Did someone buy it yet???

Craig here's your chance! Sell some of those 1:1 tractors and buy it...

Jerry

• edited June 2022
    This is the last pic in my collection of Brians Machine shop...

It's not a great pic, but there is a very fond memory behind this pic and a story involving Kevin O'. (2011)
    I had the perfect shot but, he nudged me (for a good reason) and this is what I got. hahaha

• If you cross your eyes you can see it as plain as day!!

Jerry