visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

JimM's Truck Repair

Comments

• Very nice Jim!

I assumed when you used the kitchen table for the valve job you were single or your wife was very understanding?

Jerry
  • Thanks Brownbr and Jerry. I appreciate the comments.
    Jerry said:

I assumed when you used the kitchen table for the valve job you were single or your wife was very understanding?

Jerry

Jerry yes, I was single and I was a recent college grad at the time and had no money to pay to get my car fixed. We've all been there. I had never done that kind of work before, but I bought a book and I was able to do it. I remember riding my bicycle to downtown Chicago from the suburbs to go to the JC Whitney store to get the head gaskets and the valves I needed.

• Great detailed scenes. Lots to look at and appreciate.
  • Obviously I know less about an engine than Karl but I like your work just as much!
  • Thanks Tom and ALCO, I appreciate the comment.
  • Nicely done Jim. Excellent scene composition and detail work.
  • Thanks so much Ken, I appreciate it.
  • Wonderful, really enjoying watching this build come to life!
  • Brett, thanks so much. So nice to get a complimentary comment from the creator of this wonderful kit.
  • Well, it's been 6 months since I've done anything on this project, I've been busy with other projects but it's time to try and finish this one up. A discussion on another thread inspired me to show what I've been doing with wiring my Truck repair. I decided to add a light under the "shed" because where this will sit on my layout, you really won't be able to see any of the details without some light. I should have anticipated this and prepared for it, but no such luck and now I've had to try and shoehorn the wiring in without wrecking everything in the process.
    I like to use SMD LED's (pictured below) if I can, because they really throw a lot of light. Above the strip of LEDs is a single one inverted with the soldering spots evident. Positive wire goes to the smaller soldering spot.
    IMG_1344

I, like everyone else, have so many of these old wall warts from so many different electrical gadgets that don't work anymore. This one is from an old wireless router; it has a 12-volt DC output. LEDs operate on about 3 volts so the voltage needs to be reduced or the LED will blow immediately. Instead of using resistors to reduce that voltage, I use these cheap little "Buck converters" because they are much more versatile and very easy to use. With this setup, you don't have to worry about batteries or resistors. This converter takes a DC voltage of up to 40 volts and reduces it to as low as 1.5 volts. Though these are called "buck converters" for a different reason, they actually cost about a buck. You can get these that convert AC voltage to DC voltage as well, but they are a slightly more expensive. Anyway, I just cut off the end of the wall wart and after identifying which wire is the positive lead, solder the wires to the input of the converter in the appropriate site. I then dial in a voltage of about 3 volts test with my voltmeter and then solder the LED leads to the output. You can easily dial up a little higher voltage to get the amount of light you want, not too high though, you don't want to fry the LED. You can also obviously dial the voltage down for a more dimmed light.

IMG_1331

I used a .042 diameter tubing for the conduit and a twisted magnet wire as the conductor. I used a few 3D printed details like the elbows and the "junction box" and "pillow blocks" for mounting. I know these are not necessarily prototypical, but I just wanted to hide the wires. In the picture, I separated the elbow from the conduit so you can see the twisted wire inside the conduit.

IMG_1332

After much manipulation and cursing and one failure (there was a short circuit in the system after it was all mounted, so I had to start all over again), I was able to get the assembly mounted. I had to remove a couple of the rafters to be able to mount this.
    IMG_1347

Finished. Now onto the lighting for inside the building.

IMG_1349
    IMG_1351

Note to self: Next time, do this before all the details are added. This was so much harder to do than it had to be if I had just thought ahead. Arrgh
  • edited November 2022
    Hindsight is a beautiful thing indeed Jim, just like your lighting.

Thx for sharing with us,
    I'll need to look into those 'buck thingy's'
  • That looks amazing! Lighting is such a worthy addition.
  • Good save on adding lights. It is a PIA after the fact. You did great.
  • The pictures with the lighting are just amazing and lighting adds so much to the project. I use the same method for my lighting using the buck converter. Make things so much easier.
  • Thanks guys. Really appreciate the comments. I'm putting thought into how to do the lighting in the building. I have an idea that will entail building a few more trusses. I'll start that tomorrow.
  • Well done Jim.
  • Love the conduit you created.
  • Lighting really adds a lot! Nice work!
  • Thanks for the comments, they are really appreciated. Any suggestions or criticisms are appreciated as well.
    I think I am going to install the lighting in the building in a similar manner. I still want to be able to remove the roof so I decided to try and replicate the trusses that I have previously built. On the template, I taped some blocks around a previously built truss. I then built 4 more trusses using some scrap wood which is very close in size to the original. I also used the hobby saw to cut some strip wood from the same plywood from which the trusses were originally laser cut. These new trusses look to be a near perfect match to the trusses that I already have, so I hope this works out OK.

My plan is to follow the manual using the original trusses and glue those to the roof board. Then I will glue these additional trusses to the building. The conduit will be glued to these additional trusses but not to the original ones. This way, the roof can still be removed. Wish me luck.

IMG_1354
  • Jim, I really like your conduit. I may try that on the water tank kit I am working on now. Thanks for the tip on the buck converters. I just ordered ten for $9.19 plus shipping. Keep us updated on your lighting. Randy
  • Sounds like a plan. Nifty idea...look forward to seeing how it shakes out.
  • Randy, I'm glad this was helpful. I hope you like the results using these. I think you will, it really makes it simple.
    Ken, I'm looking forward to it too. I just need to figure out a good order of doing things. I spotted the original trusses. After they dry, I need to then drill a few holes and then I can install the additional trusses and then mount the conduit. Fingers crossed
  • Love the lighting system. Adds so much and beautifully done.
  • Thanks Joel, I appreciate that.

Moving forward, I tried and tried to bend tubing in the shape of a gooseneck lamp and I had nothing but miserable results. Nothing I tried worked as the tubing always kinked. I guess I don't have the patience to figure this out, so I decided to come up with something different and I'm satisfied with this.

Here is one of the pendant lights for inside the structure and one of the lights with the modification I came up with for outside the building. These are wired with the same SMD LED I referred to in an earlier post. The wire is the same 30AWG magnet wire.

IMG_1355
  • Jim your solutions to kinked tubing look great. what kind of tubing were you trying to bend that kinked so bad? Good work, Randy
  • Thanks Randy. It was tubing from Ngineering. I'm impressed with result you got on your build. They have a jig for bending but I just decided to go this way instead. I actually like these better than the gooseneck lamps.
  • Trying to light this and hide the wires in conduit has sure proved problematic but it's now installed, and all the lights are still working. I don't have any pictures of it lit up yet, but I did test all the lights and there are no shorts and all of them work.

An overhead shot shows the conduit routing. All the wires go down through the large bore conduit and exit below the base of the diorama. I built the additional trusses using scrap wood.
    IMG_1357

A couple of pics through the doors: that's the roof in the background, the original trusses are glued to the roof. You can see the LED in the pendant light from this angle. I have a shade for the lights that I can add if I desire. I don't think you will be able to see the LEDs unless you can get below the structure though, so I probably won't use the shades.

IMG_1360

IMG_1359
  • Fantastic way to install the lights.
  • Jim, What did you use for the junction boxes? They look good. Randy
  • randyp said:

Jim, What did you use for the junction boxes? They look good. Randy

i was gonna ask that too.