visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

SHELBY'S Marine Service (HO/HOn3)

Comments

• Do we have an update on this wonderful project??

Jerry
  • Gettin there Jerry. I have the main structure planted, all the track work done, lighting of both structures done. Working my way around the main building with details and scenic work. Have three trees made but not "planted" yet. Remaining projects on the punch list are; the overhead crane, electrical service poles, and the boat. Thanks for rattling my cage here buddy!

Finished the last remaining pilings for the main structure wharf.

IMG_5576
  • I am no where near working on my waterfront...but I so want to start making pilings.....They look really good...love the evidence of gulls and the "green stuff"....
  • I can smell the saltwater, stale beer, and fish...
  • Thanks Art...they are a lot of fun to do.

Lol...mission accomplished Brett!
  • What are you using for modeling the electrical hookups at the building from the pole?
  • I scratch build all my electrical poles and use only insulators and the transformers as detail parts. The building connections are both scratch built and box and meter detail parts.
  • Awesome detailing!!

Jerry
  • Thanks Jerry!
  • Very nice. Hope to copy these on my next build.
  • Thanks Bryan.
  • Ken! Awesome work. I never seize to be amazed by the colors. You have this way to keep them distinct but toned down so beautifully. Looking at all those details really makes me curious about the whole. Patience, I know…
  • Thanks much Jeroen. I know my posts lately are a bit lame with respect to content, but I am making progress on the diorama as a whole. The details do look a whole lot better once planted, with just a few areas around the main structure to flesh out.
  • Hand truck turned out very nice! Also the pilings. I like the metal banding near the top, and how they are flared out at the top from pounding them into the ground. Can't wait to see the diorama as a whole.
  • Hey Thanks and nice you noticed those little details. I was working on how to make a long stick interesting!
  • You certainly achieved your goal! Those long sticks are very interesting.
  • Mission accomplished!
  • Just finished up my Shelby's diorama today and will be pouring the water this week. Have the main fishing boat to finish. However, it won't be attached to the boat haul trolley, so not figured into the final imaging for the next update. Going over it with a critical eye for any final touches before the water pour.
  • Can’t wait to see the pictures Ken! Very, very curious how this will turn out!
  • I am on pins and needles waiting to see the finished scenery. I know it will be fantastic because everything up to now has been Randy
  • Can't wait to see your work on this Ken.
    I know it's going to be incredible.
  • I too am looking forward to seeing what you accomplish.
  • Anxiously awaiting the photos...
  • Pushed along today and just about finished with the boat. Such an iconic part of the Shelby's kit that I didn't want the initial images of the completed diorama to be without it. Appreciate the thoughts and wanted to get the thread up to date in lieu of the final pics. Can't believe its been just over a year since I started the build...good grief!...
  • It looks like an enjoyable year well spent. Randy
  • must've been all the vacations.....
  • Excited to see this, but at the same time sad cause I know that you are knocking them down and will be out of ones to build eventually.
  • Looking forward to the final pictures on this one! Ken I'm sure it was a year worth of fun for you!
    And it sure was fun for us to get to follow along on the adventure.

Jerry
  • That's for sure Randy! When I looked back on all my previous SWSM builds, I average one a year...give or take.

Lol...right Kevin! No where near the amount of time I should be taking off.

Should prove an interesting final reveal as I posted very few in-progress shots, save for the interior of the main building.

Appreciate that Jerry. Can't imagine going through this build without you hooligans to hob knob with along the way!
  • edited February 2023
    On a diorama the size of Shelby's, which is 23.5" x 24", with three structures and all the supporting track, trestle, piers, boats, etc...it's hard to know when to say when with respect to details. Case in point...I thought I was done with Shelby's detail work. However, there was an empty space next to the hoist shed that was bothering me. Brett chronicled the history of the hoist house in the Shelby's manual..."Shelby's switched from steam donkey engine power to electric in order to hoist the boats out of the water". I completed the electrical detail work for the hoist and decided, at the last minute, to fill that empty space with the old steam boiler that was replaced. Brett had sent me an example of a 3D printed boiler, which gave me the perfect piece for the scene. I decided to cut the top off the boiler to appear it was being parted out. To add a little interest I made a canvas cover over the top stack to keep out rain water and will position it next to the boiler which is laying vertically. Yes, this is to keep you on the hook until I can get the water poured and post the results.

IMG_5630

Boiler stack with canvas cover tied on...