visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

SHELBY'S Marine Service (HO/HOn3)

Comments

• I see grab handles and a ladder on that left side??
  • Right you are Emery...adds a little interest to an otherwise boring shelf unit!
  • Very far from boring sir! A whole lot of stuff going on in such a small space. Hope you are not going to hide that where one can not see all that detail.
  • Looks Ok so far but haven’t put up that last wall yet...hopefully with some lighting it will be visible enough to see what’s there.
  • edited August 2022
    As I'm working through the interior details of Shelby's main structure, wanted to "finger post" a couple of details I came up with for added interest:

The first is a pipe and bar stock rack that I made. I took two metal ladders that I had in my parts bin and cut one side rail off of each one. I then fashioned the remainder from styrene and glued it up with Loctite super glue (best re-sealable cap on the market!). Shot it with Tamiya spray paint and weathered.

IMG_4070

Lunch hooks for scale! The rack is designed to sit slightly at a backward angle to keep bar stock from rolling off the support bars.

The second is a take on a basic work bench. I built the bench from stripwood and then for added interest, put a metal sheet work surface on the bench. This is just paper cut to size and weathered as a piece of sheet metal stock attached to the surface of the bench.

IMG_4075

More later...Ken
  • WOW, great details. They should be in the SW catalogue :)
    How do you keep your fingers and nails so clean when weathering ? :) :)
  • Great additions
  • Thanks much Robert...picture caught me at a
    good time!

Appreciate that Bryan. Just populated the rack with pipes and bar stock and glued it in place...happy with it thus far.
  • Nice custom details. That pipe rack should be 3D printed!
  • Thanks Tom. Looks really good full of old pipes and bar stock.
  • KKarns said:

Thanks Tom. Looks really good full of old pipes and bar stock.

bar stock? club soda, tonic, bloody mary mix?
  • Very ingenious details Ken. I really like the idea of using two ladders for the pipe rack. Not sure how you pulled this off in HO scale but definitely something I would like to try in O.
    I have seen metal top work benches and never thought about modeling them. I remember seeing one where the metal was over lapping the front edge and bent down at an angle over it, maybe to make it easier to clean spills. I may borrow your idea for the tool shed, hope you don't mind. Thanks again for leading the way with your incredible modeling skills and great ideas.
  • Appreciate that Steve. Hey like your thoughts on the metal bent over the edge...heck yeah...I’d love to see you do a bench like that in O Scale. Next one I do I’ll bend the “metal” over the front edge!
  • Ha Kevin...nice thought...a wet bar in my Shelby's shop!
  • KKarns said:

Ha Kevin...nice thought...a wet bar in my Shelby's shop!

bloody mary = fisherman's breakfast.... throw in a pickled egg and he's good for the day.
  • edited September 2022
    Providing a much needed update on my Shelby's build. I have been busy detailing the interior of the main structure, which chews up a great deal of time as well as detail parts. There are 71 SierraWest Scale Models 3D printed detail parts in this update alone. I have a few things to fiddle with yet but basically it's done other than the second floor, which is the ceiling for the bottom level shown here. I also have the interior of the missing side wall to finish detailing. This will be imaged when completed. Will provide some close up detail shots here and there after this post.

IMG_4333

IMG_4360

IMG_4366

IMG_4361

IMG_4365

IMG_4389

IMG_4381

IMG_4358

IMG_4368 (1)
  • Uhmmmmmm, speechless. wow!
  • Excellent.
  • Thanks men! Lots of nice 3D details to work with.
  • Really looks fantastic
  • Incredible! Looks like 1:1. The layout and types of all the details are a perfect match for a real facility. I can’t believe the amount of work you put in to each detail. Simply the best, Ken!
  • I completely agree with all the above !!! Outstanding..
  • edited September 2022
    Incredible work Ken. Your painting and weathering are amazing. Just Wow! There's so much to see and everything is finished with such care. The weathering on the yellow drums for example... what a joy to watch and follow. Eyecandy!
  • I echo all of the above. I think back what we could do before. The advancement of both details and techniques in the past few years is incredible. What lays ahead? That said what you have accomplished here is just incredible........Rick
  • wow. i'm plum out of superlatives. this looks like something you could find on shorpy's.
  • Ken Very nice display of all of your work. Thank's
  • Too many spectacular details to comment on in one post. So many great ideas. The ashes and kindling in front of the shop stove really popped out to me. That is just one example of the creativity level here. Excellent work Ken!
  • Excellent work as always....love all the details
  • Simply amazing Ken! The more I look the more I see! Love the hand rail on the stairs and platform.
  • TomMich said:

Simply amazing Ken! The more I look the more I see.

Well said Tom! I keep going back and believe this is your best work.