visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

The Main Street Hotel #206 - in O Scale. Karl.A

Comments

• edited February 2021
    Got some extra details built, some painted, some prepped and placement planned out. Time to take everything back off, get the dirt out and start gluing some things down.

• First level of dirt and details done, as with the rest of the diorama once this is dry I'll come back and add all the small fine details, bottles, rags, etc.
    I think I'll do this driveway next as the ground is wet anyway and then move around to the front.
  • Ok, thats good to go, time to move on...
  • edited February 2021
    It looked so good when I turned it around to work on the front I took another pic,
    still very wet obvly.
  • I am still amazed at how fast you can bring the scene together. Looks fantastic.....Rick
  • edited February 2021
    Thanks Rick.

When I've got it in my head (or the manual) to follow, the rest just flows.
    It's all the sitting around thinking and staring and planning that slows me down.

Planning out the gas scene now,
    well, it's planned out, has been for a long time, just going through the final thoughts, layout and weathering.
  • I was wondering what you had in mind in that inset. This is going to be great.
  • edited February 2021
    This was originally Brett's idea 8 years ago for this model, to have a gas pump scene,

but, I wasn't feeling it, I couldn't figure out a way I liked to do it, this was the second reason the dio went up on the shelf back then. I couldn't get past it at the time.
    Now, it's progressing...

The original balsa form i made,
    so now I painted it a light grey.
    Exacto scribed cracks
    408.3 chalk and extended the cracks down the face of the base.
    Black chalk
    Scenery/weeds/grass added

I made it out of balsa because I wanted the grain/texture to show.
    No point making a grained mold out of balsa and pouring plaster in it to make the plaster look like concrete poured into a rough wooden form. Cut out the middle man. I aint got time for that.

• edited February 2021

I was wondering what you had in mind in that inset...

You could of asked...

• edited February 2021
    Test placement, not glued or blended in,
    time for me to finish the gas pump and oil high boys and anything else for this little mini-scene...

Yes, I need to remove and redo those brooms in the background because they look atrocious, I knew this before I placed them but, I wanted to get the scene laid out at the time and move on.
  • edited February 2021
    Test placement,

I think I'm going to remove this and detail the structure first so that I don't have to lean over the gas pump and worry about knocking it over while I work.
  • edited February 2021
    I found the dry transfer for the bluesky coke machine in the bottom of the box and tried to apply it to this one. (I just used a printed out sign on bluesky).
    I've never done a dry transfer before and I messed it up royally.

It didnt come off the first time I rubbed it, so I licked it and it came off better, but it moved quite a bit, hmmm...

At least I got it pretty much centered, I guess that's another mistake I'll need to hide, I'm getting good at that.

• OK, I'm looking for ideas here guys,
    I like the right side of the porch but, I need 'something' to go next to the bench...

I'd like something low on the right of the bench, I've got a spitoon, which might work for the era,
    and I'd like something slightly taller for the left side.
    I 'm thinking luggage, trunk, etc, but, that would mean scratching that itch, and I'm looking for other ideas first...
    I wanna keep it simple, natural, real.

thoughts?
  • The more I think about it the more I know I'm gonna have to scratch some luggage, 'cos its in my minds eye, somebody come up with a better idea and save me...
  • So how will the hotel guests get up on the porch?
  • brownbr said:

So how will the hotel guests get up on the porch?

Seriously ??
    Take some time to read my previous comments that I took the time to write.

• karl,
    you could put a little person there talking to another one sitting on the bench??
  • Good idea kevin, Its been sat on my shelf for 8 years with a dude sat on the bench and a yorkie next to him.
    i'll put them back to show you, but, I dont do figures... permanently.

I'm actually thinkin I'll just leave it as is, seems natural after I've been starin at it all night.
  • bring on the Yorkie! Grohe and I will be really happy with that...
  • ahhhhh, life is back to "normal". Starla and Zoe will be happy.
  • why the aversion to lp's?
  • its a bit big for a teacup, more like a teapot, or even an urn... ha
  • Great looking work!
  • We know this is not a 5 star establishment so it is probable most guests are long term. That would reduce the idea of luggage. That said, it increases the chance there might be items on the porch that would not normally be on a hotel porch. The one item that come to my mind would be an old steel rocking chair (or wood) for someone else to sit in while they visit. Yes the Yorkie can stay in either case......Rick
  • kebmo said:

why the aversion to lp's?

I dont mind them for photo's, because thats a static situation,
    never really liked them for in person viewing.

Mine have pins inserted into their feet so I can place them and remove them.
    I generally have one on my desk while scratch building for scale perspective when creating scenes, but they're usually camera shy...
  • Karl nice detailing. Love the Yorkie!!

Jerry
  • Thanks Jerry,
    give Zoe a treat from me and say 'Hi' to Ms Dianne