visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

HO Boiler & Welding Shop

13»

Comments

• Just fantastic! Super well done.
  • Really looking good....
  • Very well done!
  • I agree. Outstanding work. Your work is so good that the two white items in the next to last picture appear like they don't belong. I little weathering would cure this. Otherside, great work. Phil
  • Thanks all for the great feedback. I laugh at the fact the one item most referred to was the mailbox out of all there is in the diorama. Phil, the two items you are referring to are two new boilers on pallets ready to ship with new wood tops to protect the open end. Yes, a bit stark, but they are new and the rest....well. Maybe needs to be toned down a bit though.

Rick
  • So it's off to the next build. What to build though. I thought it would be fun to hear what you on the forum would build first. I have 17 more SW kits, but for this I narrowed it down to:
    Small: Lineside Shed 25th anniversary edition
    Tool Shed
    Medium: Scotia Supply
    Freight House
    Water Tank & Storage Shed
    Full: O'Niel's Fabrication
    Norton's Brass & Iron Foundry
    Quincy Salvage

I did clean my bench. Way overdue. It won't look like this for long.

Rick
    IMG_0703
  • By the way, the two side lights made a huge difference in my modeling. No such thing as too much good light. All lights are daylight.

Rick
  • I like the idea of the side lights. What kind of lights are they? Amazon??

BTW, with regard to the two new boilers, I understand. However, I always ask myself the question - is anything sticking out? A bit of weathering, even on something new, lets it blend into the scene like it belongs. Just like the red flag on the mailbox - great addition, but with a bit of toning down, it blends right in, like it belongs. Of course, that is my technique. I'm just sharing for your info.

Now, on to your next build!!! Phil
  • Bash a couple together on either side of the tracks.
  • Phil, the side lights are such a great aid. A friend of mine purchased them for me when I was living in Hawaii. I think he found them at Menards. Mine have a clamp for table or bench edge as well as the base the clamp holds. I could even power them from the USB port of the computer. I did a quick check of Amazon and didn't see this particular lamp. The goose neck is flexible and as you can see the lamp can also be tilted to one side

Rick.
  • Thanks Rick. I'll take a look and see if I can find something similar. BTW, forum, I found 91% alcohol at Sam's Club. They were packaged as two quart size containers. Phil
  • I use three strobe lights you can see everything. .!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ha.
  • Great work! Turned out very nice. As for what's next, I would recommend Morton's foundry. That was a really fun kit for me.
  • Well Rick the mailbox issue is an exercise in "your entire build looks fantastic so what can we heckle you about?" and I chose to pick on the poor defenseless mailbox!

Tough decision on the next build...how about a current kit like O'Neils or The Foundry? Might be some modelers on the fence as to weather to pick up one or both kits from Brett and your quality work might just do the trick!!...Ken
  • Really looks great.
  • Rick,

Where did you get your lazy Susan you're using for your paint from?