visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Scotia Supply III

Comments

• edited January 2020
    I am still working on the gooseneck above the freight doors and the doors themselves. I have however, finished up the walls of the main structure as follows:

Braced the walls prior to coloring and detailing. Wire brished the clapboard siding to create the textured wood grain. I then added nail holes. I like nail holes despite them being out of scale for 1:87 as long as they are subtile. I do them prior to any coloring or staining so the holes fill with either and get toned down as they naturally would be. I also detailed the siding with various cracks, splits, added some butted board ends sparingly, lifted a few pieces, again sparingly. I then stained the walls with fairly strong AI. Once dry I then painted the walls with SW Bone which is a warm white using the resist method with mineral spirits to create the peeled paint. I then finished it up with weathering with chalks.

Wall1

The completed front wall with the side trim also attached.

IMG_7151

The west wall, note the rotted missing boards on the lower left. This is a technique I developed on my BlueSky build and described in detail there. The main issue that must be dealt with in creating this detail is the tickness of the scribed siding. If you simply cut a section out and glue the studs to the inside the thickness will be obvious and not realistic. I thin down the back side of the siding until its only as thin as a piece of the siding would have been. Then I build my studs and cover the inside with stripwood.

IMG_7147

The rear wall of Scotia. Of note here about nail hole spacing. Studs would most often be placed on 24" centers. If you place nail holes on a model at 24" the wall would appear full of nail holes! So I place my nail holes per Bretts templates as they will give the best look without overdoing it. However, when I have a stud showing I make sure I run a row of nail holes right on the stud line...see above.

IMG_7144

East wall ready to go...more later...Ken
  • looking good swami....
  • The little extras that make all the difference. Love it.
  • Yeah! I thought you did a nice job with the wood effect but it just seemed to blend into the stonework.
  • And the clapboard looks fantastic.
  • FANTASTIC.... this will look amazing on top of the stone wall.
  • Allready so much detail on such a small surface. Great work. As expected of course... :wink:
  • edited January 2020
    Really glad to get the thumbs up Brett. My biggest concern with changing up the color on Scotia was a tie in of the walls and the stone base. I knew I wanted white but a stark white would not have worked and of course I don't have to be talked into going "grungy" as it's a given with me!

Thanks Kevin.

It really does Rick. I have said it before and its worth repeating. Any single semingly insignificant detail by itself may not have a great impact. However, when you start combining those small details together they have a significant overall impact on the build...in my opinion.

Appreciate that Robert.

I would like to use Bryan to set an example here...sorry to single you out my friend!
    It hit me that the last few exchanges of comments between Bryan and I is exactly what I love about this forum and really what a modeling forum is all about. I'll take you through my thoughts....

I posted a picture of the base of Scotia where I cut out the cast resin freight door, archway, and a couple windows. Above the freight doors I used strip wood to match the archway in its original design that was cast in place with resin (see above). I stained and weathered the wood and felt pretty good about the look. Bryan made a comment that he felt some peeling paint on that arched section would look good and function to highlight the structure.

I posted that I was taking his idea "under advisement"...did I just move on and dismiss the idea?...hell no...I chewed on the concept, and even called Brett to get his take and he agreed with Bryan. So, with that in mind I posted that Bryans' comment was now under the planning stages (see above). Well, it has now moved once again to the implementation stage. If not for this forum and folks willing to share ideas and not be offended or dismissive of suggestions, this small detail would not have been realized. I didn't say I liked it just because of a suggestion but because I think it is the right look.

So thanks much Bryan and Brett, appreciate the input.

IMG_7286

Archway with subtile peeling and old white paint. Toned down with chalks. Once the light fixture is installed I think it will prove the right call here. What tone of white did I use?...FolkArt craft paint Ivory White (see displayed color on thumb above!)
  • edited January 2020
    I have added the gooseneck lamp above the freight door opening. I detailed the lamp as follows:

This is a styrene one piece gooseneck. I started by dishing out the flat bottom of the reflector to a concave shape with a drill bit and then with sandpaper.

I took a styrene rod and sanded the end rounded and then drilled a hole in the center to allow the lamp support arm to pass through. This would form the beasel. I then cut a thin slice off the rod tip that was rounded with a razor blade.

Primed the entire casting with a brown spray paint and let cure. I then painted the support arm and reflector with SW Bone (off white) and the shade with Brilliant Green. These areas were weathered to reflect rust and peeling and chipped paint. I did the same with the beasel. To simulate a light bulb, I mixed some 2-part Epoxy and over several appIications created the clear bulb. I then slid the beasel over the arm and then glued the arm into the hole in the wall and then slid the beasel down and firmly glued to the wall.

IMG_7299

Finished gooseneck lamp.

IMG_7310

Completed installation.
  • Glad to be of help....or hinderance. I think the paint job helps to accentuate the arch.
  • it sure does, and ken left just the right amount of color on it. it's perfect.
  • Unbelievable! Looks fantastic.
  • Really looks grimy Ken. Great job so far.
  • For sure Bryan and thanks again for your insight!

Thanks Kevin...one of those take a deep breath and do it...

Hey Rick, appreciate that.

Glad your checking in Steve. I think about and review your build of Scotia all the time.

• I finished and installed the two freight doors. These are extras from The Foundry kit, repurposed here to good effect I think. Gives it a very industrial look. Next up will be the second floor windows and doors.

IMG_7326
  • Very nice..
  • Thanks Tom.
  • It has already the 'Ken' signature and it has only just begun.... Great work , pleasure to follow.
  • Just jumping in here as I've been out of town. Nice work. Really like the new door configuration! The white above the doors really adds to the overall effect. Please don't take this as a criticism, but as I look at the stone walls, they look sort of dark and flat. The last picture with the doors added they look lighter and better. Have you considered ever so lightly dry brushing the stone walls with our ivory white or an antique white? This may give it more depth. I think it might also blend a bit with the color of the painted arch.

The lamp is killer! Love the rusted peeling paint.
  • Ed, I took a long time to hit the "Post Comment" button.
  • Tom, I think comments like this are most welcome by any modeler. Ken is a fine modeler. What makes him so is that he is always looking to improve. He may or may not take a suggestion but in my experience he has always welcomed them.

I have ribbed him a couple times about things...remember the HO scale weld seams. What a hoot that was.
  • edited January 2020
    All right...break it up! I'm right here and can hear you....

Tom, gee wiz, never hesitate to jump in with any suggestion or comments regarding anything I'm doing, I love it! That's what this forum is all about. If I wasn't soliciting for suggestions, comments, improvements, etc...I'd just post the finished build and say here it is..done...with that said...

Tom, thanks for your perusal and appreciate the thumbs up on the old peeling paint above the door, Bryan nailed that for sure. Going into this project I knew I wanted the stone work to look like old cut sandstone blocks. I also knew that I wanted a darker effect and those sandstone blocks tend to age very dark over time. I do think they are a bit dark and monochrome but all the pics so far have been indoors due to crappy weather outside. The last picture is more what they really look like. I can go lighter by removing the darker areas with alcohol and a rag...like I mentioned earlier, almost a reverse dry brushing. I don't dry brush much and thus not that confident in my skill level doing it. I know it can be used to good effect. Let me get the walls up and add some natural sunlight shots and see what you think.

Oh and Bryan...may your weld seams never hold paint and always look way too shiny!! hehe...

Ken
  • Beautiful weathering on those walls.

Jerry
  • Love the peeling paint above the doorway. The white clapboard walls and front porch will completely change the way the stone walls appear. I believe the darker stone is just right as all of the white coloration surrounding it once complete will subdue its dark intensity... prefect compliment. Ken is particularly adept at modeling the "long game".
  • Ken, thanks for the being open to comments. The walls in the last pic with the doors added are lighter and look much better. The white wood in the arch over the door really does enhance the effect and I also think the white siding will really enhance the whole structure and make it more cohesive. Your brick coloring is also outstanding. I am looking forward to the rest of the build and seeing everything coming together.
  • Thanks Jerry, had a lot fun working those up.

Perfectly said regarding the "method to the madness" as they say. Thanks much for your thoughts here Brett. Things are coming together better than I expected seeing as how I went off the reservation a bit on this build.

Thanks Tom and truely appreciate your input and following along here. Make sure you let me know if you think the coloration of the stone works better once the walls are up and porch on...
  • I have finished up the windows and will post those soon. I did decide to scratch build the front door of the second story. I completed the frame work (see below), and working on the actual door now. More later...Ken

IMG_7355

IMG_7357
  • that's gonna look really great sitting on top of the stone walls.
  • Very nice weathering on that wall Ken.
  • Great work. Love the rot on the bottom of the trim. Always a pleasure to follow along with one of your builds.